Donald Trump arrives at the Republican caucus site at the 7 Flags Event Center in Clive, Iowa, February 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

The results of the Iowa Caucuses and the numbers provided in authoritative entrance polls suggest seven unexpected lessons from the Hawkeye State:

1. Donald Trump will not run the table. After six months in which Trump dominated the discussion and became a polarizing issue for Republicans, it’s now increasingly clear where the majority of the party stands. In Iowa, 76% of Republicans who participated in the caucuses voted an emphatic “No!” on the Trump referendum. Since he made himself the center of attention and debate (even in the debate he didn’t attend), that means more than three-quarters of the party voted against him, not just for some other guy.

Read the full column at

1. S johnson  •  Feb 4, 2016 at 5:56 pm

The lesson I took away was that cheating is the way to go as no one will step up to stop it and Micheal won't mention it as he is for the establishment guy, people take some time to look behind the curtain, don't listen to just one source of info.

• Uconn2014!  •  Feb 8, 2016 at 3:06 am

Just wanted to reply to sjohnson. This was not cheating on Cruz's behalf. Donald Trump is a moderate on social issues like abortion and he ( The Donald) lost the Christian vote.

• Sjohnson  •  Feb 9, 2016 at 11:11 am

So he really may not had anything to do with it or did he but I have not heard him come out getting those who did fired just a weak I am sorry which was to little to late, the damage was already done.

2. Sandra Espinoza  •  Feb 4, 2016 at 6:47 pm

A few years ago, I heard a piece of a Marco Rubio speech. I thought then, he would someday be President. After the first republican debate, it was absolutely clear to me that Rubio was a great choice for America! I am Noooo way a political junkie, but teach high school and can "read a room" quite well! Two weeks before the Iowa caucus, I thought," I'm so surprised that so much mention of Trump and Ted, and just a bit on Rubio!" . Now, I'm not at all surprised that he came in Third. Reasonable people will vote for Rubio. He clearly loves America and Family values. Self-centered people vote for the freebies. True Americans are visionaries, for now, for the future, and for OTHER people's families! I'm sure if Rubio continues to take the high road, he'll be our next President. "Steady Rubio Steady"

• Sjohnson  •  Feb 5, 2016 at 12:12 am

Rubio is not as he appears, the establishment wants him and that should be at least one reason to steer clear and he wants amnesty for all not just those who are here to get a new start.

• Nani  •  Feb 5, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Sjohnson, you do realize that the term "establishment" sounds juvenile and 60s liberal? If you dislike someone just because he acts more grown up than candidates that throw tantrums and cry he's being picked on, you really need to come up with something more substantial.

After all, the nominee has to convince the Independents and non-conservative voters in the General because like it or not, there isn't enough on the Right to win the White House outright, and THEY actually have the power.

• Uconn2014!  •  Feb 8, 2016 at 3:15 am

Marco Rubio is sensible when it comes to immigration. We cannot deport millions of illegals that are already established here in America. Use common sense and not your emotions. Lets be realistic about the problem and find solutions that work. We cannot afford to drive off Hispanics who share a lot of our conservative values. We need their support in order to WIN! Lets show the Hispanic community that we care about their issues and not cause division by insulting them.

3. Franco  •  Feb 6, 2016 at 10:42 am

Great…. Nani has finally come out of the shadows and has thrown her support to Rubio.
    Didn't he start off as a Tea-Party candidate? I wonder if he ever used "juvenile" terms like "establishment".
    So conflicted are you, my dear, poor Nani.

• Nani  •  Feb 6, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Shadows? I don't normally reply to those who don't pay attention to what is being said but Franco, your comment amused me. Where did I say in my reply to Sjohnson that I had thrown my support to Rubio?

My entire comment was an exhausted plea to please stop using the term "establishment". It is bad enough that conservatives PRETENDING to be the base of a party they hate and have zero respect for paints Republicans as racist and sanctimonious bullies, do they have to add adolescent too? Don't you think that the Left remembers all too well their anti-establishment days when they made demands on a nation that had earned the right to make the rules? The embarrassment they must feel for school days silliness is the very reason they have double downed DESPITE the fact that their lofty ideals have proven to not work in the real world.

I wasn't defending Rubio; I was challenging the intelligence of not voting for someone because the "establishment" wants him. Geez, we've seen this chapter before. Move on.

• Sjohnson  •  Feb 9, 2016 at 11:43 am

So you are willing to vote for who ever the nominee is picked for you even if they are not conservative and have the backing of big business.take some time to look at who donates to their campaign it's public.we have to get past this and stick with principle and is not afraid to say things that are not PC, I do not see any one crying but speaking out on the none sense that is the problem.and yes the establishment is there, Karl Rove and gang to knock out the one who don't follow what has been way to long accepted .
        Sometimes it is time to get back to what was the right and the truth is hard to hear,cognitive dissonance

• Sjohnson  •  Feb 9, 2016 at 11:29 am

Rubio is part of the group who is supported by the likes of Goldman Sachs and he was part of the gang of 8 .i don't want someone in office who owes anything to any big company so turns their back on people as has been shown to immigration, yes you can deport, it's called e verify and I am for that for those who break the law no exceptions.
      It is time to get someone in office who IS not a career politician, holding office was never meant to be a career to take from us forever with perks and benefits for life.
      And part of the problem with the GOP is those who want their particular person in office is they throw out that we need to stop attacking well I say they need to understand that some of us are tired of the same status quo and the same talking points for a group the GOP that is a private organization who makes our decisions for us with false polls that herd some to the person they want in.Trump is not bought like others and no I have not decided on anyone yet just see what the attack is going to.

4. Franco  •  Feb 6, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Why would conservatives pretend to be the base of the party? They clearly are… and any attempt to say otherwise is pure silliness.
    The Republican Party has ALWAYS been the home of Conservatives. They don't hate The Republican Party, my twisted friend… They hate those who CLEARLY DON'T UNDERSTAND what The Republican Party is, was, and always shall be… Those who would like to ignore history and the REALITY OF TODAY.
    It is laughable…. So please quit with the cut-n-paste propaganda, which you repeat over and over again.

• Uconn2014!  •  Feb 8, 2016 at 3:21 am

Franco I totally agree with your comments. I don't like Donald Trump as president but you know what if he is the nominee I have no choice but to vote for him because then what would be my option Hillary! I don't think so! After we pick our conservative nominee let's come together as a party and Win!

5. Franco  •  Feb 6, 2016 at 10:02 pm

The only pretenders are those RINOS who ALL claim to be CONSERVATIVE.
    Why do they ALL claim to be conservative, when clearly they hate and have zero respect for conservatives?

They just lie, in a sad attempt to get their votes.

• Uconn2014!  •  Feb 8, 2016 at 3:25 am

As a republican party we have to be inclusive in order to win. Let's stop attacking one another and lets deliver our message to the American people. We need each other!

6. Franco  •  Feb 8, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Inclusive… I totally agree!
    Stop attacking each other… I totally agree.
    If that's the strategy, you better get people like Nani under control. She consistently attacks conservatives. She routinely advocates for excluding our base.

• Uconn2014!  •  Feb 15, 2016 at 1:40 am

I think some people cannot understand that if we are inclusive that were somehow compromising are conservative views is wrong. We all sometimes do not agree but lets get along to win the presidency. WE NEED EACH OTHER! God bless America!

• Franco  •  Feb 21, 2016 at 4:22 pm

We include EVERYONE who accepts our conservative principles. Come one, come all, but don't expect us to be liberal-lite.

free autographed copy of Michael Medved's new book