A Celebration of Everyday Heroism

Director Clint Eastwood and girlfriend Christina Sandera attend the New York premiere of the film "Sully" in Manhattan, New York, U.S., September 6, 2016. REUTERS/Darren Ornitz

As America observed the 15th anniversary of 9/11, Hollywood released a film about an aviation disaster with a very different outcome. SULLY, directed by Clint Eastwood and currently the #1 movie at the box office, tells the true story of the 2009 “Miracle on the Hudson” with the superb Tom Hanks as pilot Chesley Sullenberger, who landed his crippled plane on the River and saved his 155 passengers.

Most of the film focuses on the investigation of Sully immediately following the incident, questioning whether he could have landed the plane at a nearby airport, as Air Traffic Control instructed. The underlying message is appreciation for the quiet heroism of hard-working, everyday Americans doing their jobs with pride and competence—air traffic controllers, cops, Coast Guardsmen, ferry workers and, yes, airline personnel.

The film arrives in the midst of a sullen season when the nation needs reminders of just that sort of dignity and decency.

1. Henry  •  Sep 16, 2016 at 3:42 pm

OMG, I can’t take it anymore!!! A full half hour thus far of today’s show! How long will this go on? … Instead of rejoicing that Trump has admitted Obama was born in the USA, Medved has relentlessly revived the matter as if anyone gives an iota of care about this stupid issue!!! … Michael, there are are less than two months to the election. Were you to spend every airtime minute between now and then on how bad a candidate is Hilary Clinton, you’d have no problem filling the time! There has never been a candidate with greater baggage to lambast, to ridicule, to condemn, to fear, to detest, to fervently wish to avoid, etc. … than that of Hillary Clinton. But not a word of it from Michael Medved. Not a word of how bad this woman would be for the future of this nation, once the greatest hope for mankind. Not a word of her corruption, incompetence, lying, and pathetic pretending to care about anyone and anything other than herself and Bill. Not today, not seemingly ever anymore. … What gives? Why does Michael Medved feel for a moment that Hilary Clinton is sincere about anything whatsoever other than becoming the first woman president? Dear God, when will the intelligentsia of this nation finally see through the arrogant phoniness of this pathetic candidate and stop getting sidetracked by the left’s outrageous deflections of anything that actually matters?

• Glenna Urton  •  Sep 17, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I have not listened to yesterday's show yet, but if what these comments are saying is true, I agree with them 100%. What is wrong with you radio commentators, like Mark Levin and Michael Medved, trashing Trump? Do you not realize that Trump is our ONLY choice and we MUST win this election? We need to attract more voters for Trump, not less. Who cares if Trump is not perfect? He is our choice. Please stop trashing him and HELP him win this most important Presidential election.

• Pablo Hernandez  •  Sep 23, 2016 at 12:50 pm

So agree! Medved is like a family member. Bee

2. Henry  •  Sep 16, 2016 at 4:06 pm

OMG, it’s getting worse. This is a direct quote from Medved in today’s show: “I was anti Trump before it was cool.” … Well, that’s great Michael. You’re really cool, man. … Miss the 60s do you? Or just afraid your Hollywierd friends will unfriend you?

It will be interesting to see if this continues into the second and third hours of today’s show.

3. Lisa  •  Sep 19, 2016 at 10:50 am

Medved, I believe your ego is as big as Trumps. You also need to be the smartest man in the room. I struggle with Trump as well but your constant bashing, just to be proven right, has this long time listener changing stations.

4. Pablo Hernandez  •  Sep 23, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Feels like a rift in the family. Even when republicans lost, I could always count on Medved to sooth the

5. Richard Schweiter  •  Sep 23, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Is Trump my ideal candidate ? Emphatically No ! For me the bigger issue is the untold damage to the country that will come from Hillary's appointees to the Supreme Court. Say goodby to the Second Amendment, and say Hello to being an American Subject instead of an American Citizen. When can you remember a candidate for the Presidency admit openly that they felt that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms did Not apply to the individual , and the Heller Decision was wrong ? If we lose this election, I believe that we will not see another Supreme Court decision favorable to conservatives for the rest of our lives. When I hear about the Bush's intention to vote for Hillary, I feel absolutely betrayed by the very people that I have supported and defended to my liberal friends. For as long as I can remember, the great strength of the democrats was that , at the end of the day, if their individual choice for a candidate lost to another candidate, they would still all go to the polls and vote the straight party ticket. Not so with the republicans. As the great Yogi Berra used to say "It's deja vu, all over again " .

6. Nancy  •  Sep 24, 2016 at 12:05 am

Loved Sully! I am a great book reader; if there were more movies like Sully I would be a great movie watcher too..but alas it just ain't so!
    PS : the Kendrick Bros. War Room was a good movie too.

7. Chris  •  Oct 2, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Once I saw the trailer with Katie Couric in the movie, I knew I would never watch it. I have not listened to Medved in over a year. If what is said about him trashing Trump and supporting Hillary is true, I will not miss his opinion. Just like Bill kristol and all others who support Clinton over Trump, I have no use for these people.

8. Skip  •  Oct 19, 2016 at 4:21 pm

My wife and I saw the movie, 'Sully'. We liked it very much, except for the part that showed Katie Couric. Whether or not she was involved in the real story, her presence in the movie was disappointing to see. After the movie, my wife commented that if half of the U.S. government population, particularly politicians, possessed just half of Capt. Sullenberger's professionalism, honesty and integrity, we'd be so much the better country and nation.

Hear what Michael has to say about Health Markets