Brain Dead Nostalgia Could Doom GOP

A man holds a button in support of Donald Trump at the Crete Civic Centre in Plattsburgh. REUTERS/Christinne Muschi

Sinking approval ratings show Republicans losing touch with the public by peddling simple-minded nostalgia for the past.  A Pew Survey indicates 70% of “Conservative Republicans” agree that “compared with 50 years ago, life for people like me is worse.” That’s ridiculous: in 1966, we endured rising, not falling crime, major riots devastated our cities, hundreds died each week in Vietnam, and we faced top tax rates of 70%.

Today, medical care and life expectancy have vastly improved, college enrollment has increased 400%, average homes are 150% bigger, and the “Evil Empire” of the Soviet Union no longer threatens global annihilation.

Young people and black people know it’s absurd to view all change as negative–nearly 80% of them say life’s gotten better, not worse over 50 years. “Make America Great Again” is a slogan that promotes pessimism about the present and air-brushes the past, thereby alienating young and diverse voters the GOP needs.

1. Nani  •  May 3, 2016 at 10:14 pm

With the coming lost of the WH, Congress and SCOTUS, I started to think that our country is headed for really dark days. Then I watched a series called Warrior Women and I realized that the "past" was nothing to desire. Whole races were eliminated, the weak really did starve, the poor begged for their existence and sometimes gave up and hoped for death (no wonder humanity was more spiritual), illness could be a death sentence for something as simple as a cough or a fever, women were property and could expect little more than a lifetime of child birth and rearing. The dignity and civility as humans we so take for granted was for the very wealthy and rights and freedoms was a concept that wasn't even dreamt of for ordinary people.

We HAVE come a long way. And it is TODAY and TOMORROW that we should be striving for, not a step back to a past that was full of struggle and work. We shouldn't be looking for a Reagan created by speech writers or forefathers that really saw nothing wrong with slavery or women and children as "property". We should be looking for leaders with vision and a clear understanding of where we were and where we want to go.

Trump and his minions have hurt and perhaps destroyed the opportunity we should have had. It may take a generation before the Republican party will no longer be tarnished with the stink of bigotry and bullying. But if we remember those who were apart of this ugliness and never again allow them to spread their poison, the party that will arise out of it CAN be something worth being proud of–and passing on to our children.

• Ryan  •  May 5, 2016 at 7:29 am

Look i dont care for trump ethier but can we stop all this doom and gloom talk. I think its over done besides if you have such dislike for trump there no way you can vote hillary who in many ways is trump and worst. Sorry there is no one to vote for if sincere about what your saying.

• Nani  •  May 5, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Did you read my comment? It isn't doom and gloom; I have faith that humanity–and America WILL eventually come out all right. Compared to the real disasters of the past, we are living in grand times. Like it or not, America leads the world; if her economy tanks, so does the world's; if her military is destroyed, there goes the world's "rights" and "freedoms".

We are facing two unacceptable candidates: unstable Trump and Lying Hillary. It is DARK and depressing BUT if we, humanity, can get past the starvation and cruelty of the past, we can and will get past this. We start by recognizing what the past really was and look not with longing for days gone by but with hope for a future that this generation, like past generations can't even imagine.

2. Rich  •  May 4, 2016 at 12:21 am

People holding on to "the party" as if it is some caring entity are delusional. It/they are self-interested just like everyone else. Doom and gloom about the world as we know it is misplaced – Bush did not outlaw abortions, Obama did not outlaw firearms, and Trump/Clinton won't bring about the end of the country, or the world for that matter. Everyone should just find something sturdy to steady themselves against and calm down. The first step is to stop listening to talk radio. You are just getting agitated and empowering other self-interested people.

• Ryan  •  May 5, 2016 at 7:35 am

Talk radio is not the problem. As micheal point out its not listen to much. No problem has been party and dems who themselfs have gone off rails. If cant vote for trump for all reasons i have been hearing, then you cant touch hillary with ten foot poll. Iam not playing tit for tat you guys set standard hillary is female version of trump.

• Nani  •  May 5, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Oh the talk show mafia WAS the problem. They KNEW better but sold their anger and hate for ratings. For years, I listened to Laura Ingraham, Hugh Hewitt, Shaun Hannity etc. I bought Ann Coulter's books. I watched Fox. Having resided in a state that is so Blue it was the only one to vote for Carter, these people was like being in a foreign country and finding people who spoke English!

It took a while before I started to notice their hypocrisy and their twisting of words like "loyalty" and "amnesty". Eventually their ugliness and bullying became so ridiculous, I could no longer tolerate it and stopped listening and watching all together.

But others continued to listen to these people and in my particular circle, I was able to get family, friends, and colleagues to question the character of those that JOINED their Liberal counterpart in bashing Bush and all things GOP.

The ironic thing about all of this is that the talk show mafia and pundits, upon the destruction of the party they screamed that had lied to and betrayed them will have NO place to hang their microphones on, no paid gigs, no book deals. They have just poisoned the goose that gave them their golden eggs. Each has lost credibility and there will come a time when they will be known as the one who supported Trump.

In fact, I think we all will be asked that question. Wait and see how Trump and his supporters will be perceived once the Clinton machine and the MSM goes after him.

3. sgreso  •  May 4, 2016 at 12:50 am

Michael Medved is just tool of the self styled republican country club. He shoul and probanly will vote for his classmate Hillary.

• John Ingram  •  May 4, 2016 at 2:16 am

AMEN!

• Ty  •  May 4, 2016 at 3:12 am

I am REALLY going to enjoy seeing you fools lose in the fall. Self righteousness slapped down by reality is one of the sweetest sights in the universe. I wonder how much of congress the democrats will take this fall? The senate is in play, I wonder about the house? So exciting! And you think this is a good thing? I love fools when they are my political enemies. Thank you for existing.

• Uconn2014!  •  May 9, 2016 at 2:38 am

Both these leading candidates have New York values and they cannot be trusted. I have always been a conservative republican and I am not changing now. But I cannot and will not vote for Mr. Trump! I will vote for those running for congress and senate but as for the presidency, I could not sleep knowing that I voted for any of these candidates. God bless America!

• Uconn2014!  •  May 9, 2016 at 2:47 am

As a Christian, I cannot vote for the Donald. He is unqualified to be president. Only ten percent of the country has voted for this guy. This comforts me knowing that the majority of Americans are not buying what He is selling. I hope we can all say, at least to those who do not want Trump as president, to say to Him " Your fired" go home.

• John W  •  May 28, 2016 at 9:28 am

So if you were Jewish or Muslim you would vote for Trump? Brilliant!

4. Sean  •  May 4, 2016 at 12:56 am

While I do agree with much of what is described in this piece, it is my opinion that the "Make America Great Again" statement has been taken out of context by many of its critics. I do not for one second believe that "The Donald" intends to return this country to the socioeconomic structure of the 1950's-60's where women had to fight for basic right and minorities were treated as second class citizens. However, I do feel that in today's social climate, many of our youth and countrymen are bullied into believing they are solely responsible for the world's problems and should feel ashamed of their heritage. America has been a beacon of hope and life for many in the world who live in horrible conditions brought upon by war and fundamental disagreements in values. It is my belief that the "Make America Great Again" has little to do with returning to our old ways in the middle of the century, but embracing the fact that we are one of the last truly free-nations on the earth where each individual has the opportunity to prosper.

5. John Ingram  •  May 4, 2016 at 2:11 am

MM, you just laid out the best case I have ever heard in support of President Obama and Hillary Clinton.
    “WE ARE SO MUCH BETTER OFF NOW” — Are you kidding me ?
    You seem insistent on helping Hillary win. Amazing! Back when I was a fan and didn't know any better, I remember you telling us how stupid we were for not wanting to vote for George Bush because we were NOT getting everything we wanted in a Conservative and how it would cost us the election. Well, Bucky – now it’s your turn.
    Practice what you preach and support the GOP candidate that we the people voted for! //ji

6. Jim Bird  •  May 4, 2016 at 3:02 am

Michael,
    You and I are the same age. "Healthcare is better today than in 1966" but we have Obamacare which will destroy the greatest healthcare system in the history of the world over the next 25 years after all the good doctors are replaced by "VA" doctors whose nickname during Nam was Butch for "butchers." You're trying to put lipstick on a pig again, talking down to your listeners with word game tricks, trying to get us to make nice with the Marxists across the aisle. The Party is finished and you know it and no amount of chiding us will make Americans not angry and outraged at the thug Democrats and the lieing cowards in the GOP.
    Please tell your establishment connections in both parties thanks for losing to the two most disgusting people America has produced, Obama and Killary. So, we have another New York Liberal running against her who will lose 50 states.
    After Obama won in 2008, your opening comment on the day after was "We are all Nationalist Socialists now, America has spoken." I don't care what your comment will be after Trump loses. What should the 70% of Americans do who are worried about the direction of the country do? Nothing, hide, chuckle with our happy warrior faces – GOP standard procedure? I don't think so, do you?

• John Ingram  •  May 4, 2016 at 12:38 pm

JIm, you said what I was trying to say – Thank You!
      I am so happy to see America, all sides, waking up and the talking heads on radio are going to do the same or find themselves with only a few hundred clueless listeners. //ji

7. Jim Bird  •  May 4, 2016 at 10:39 am

Make no mistake, this is America's darkest hour. Let's see what Day 1 brings.

• Rich  •  May 6, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Yeah, I am so worried about Day 1! Essentially, the world is already over because the race is down to 3 candidates, the actual election is months away, and one of the candidates has SAID some alarming things. I can see why everyone is so spun up.

8. Pete from Detroit  •  May 4, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I applaud Cruz for giving the RNC a black eye. They were doing all they could to scheme and plot to stop Trump and Cruz stopped them dead in their tracks. Now that Trump can't be stopped, I see that Michael has decided to become a Libertarian. Why is everyone getting so excited anyway? It's not like he's going to be elected King.

• Nani  •  May 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Obviously you haven't been listening to him; Trump believes he WILL be king. The troops are there to do HIS will. He doesn't care what you or anyone thinks; it's all about HIM.

• John D. Fiat  •  May 11, 2016 at 3:40 pm

The troops are there to do his (Trump's) will? Seriously, you do realize that we've been warmongering on Israel's behalf for 60+ years now, right? (that means losing countless American lives and hundreds of billions of dollars to aid a rogue foreign nation). Trump spoke of merely trying to make peace in the Middle East and the Neocons and Israel-firsters have been crying "Isolationist" ever since. So, what is Trump, a warmonger or an isolationist, because you can't have it both ways, silly?

FYI, Israel-firsters like Medved and Lindsey Graham consider anything less than starting WWIII, isolationism!

9. John Ingram  •  May 5, 2016 at 2:06 am

Nani, What do you think Obama has been doing for eight years ? Amazing! No Depth to Liberals!

• Jim Bird  •  May 5, 2016 at 3:15 am

No kidding!!! Obama had large deficits in the house and senate for most of his two terms but the law, the constitution and the Coward Party were not even the slightest obstacle to his barbaristic dictatorial regime. Once again I will ask Michael to explain just one of the a hundred questions I have about Obama. Why does he give nukes and hundreds of billions of dollars to terrorist countries and refuses to give Ukraine a BB gun? One more, Hillary has at least 30,000 felonies and who knows the numbers killed on her resume for President. Why isn't she in prison? Are her actions not crimes?
      I think I understand something now – if we discuss these topics, Republicans will look bad, right Mike? That's it!!!! I get it; that's why the GOP always praises BO, and hides in a corner waiting for the the next election cycle and never says anything and does secret stuff and has a platform and does the people's business incognito, neat-o!!
      Seriously, I have never seen a more dysfunctional group of headless chickens in my lifetime – totally lost and terrified (of God knows what?). Charles Manson could beat Hillary, but not GOP.

• Nani  •  May 5, 2016 at 6:32 pm

And you don't get that Trump is just a White Obama? He too believes he should be the supreme leader, subject to no one, not Congress nor the polls.

Are you claiming to be a liberal?

• Jim Bird  •  May 10, 2016 at 10:38 am

Just read this? How's the Martian surface this time of year? The GOP betrayed its constituency, not the other way around. Why have a Republican Party if it votes party line Obama? You think the GOP is still relevant and has a future. The GOP is a joke soooo, why have a Party after having literally supported it for 50 years, when it no longer functions, hides from the thugs across the aisle and lies by omission as well as commission and any other self-demolition it can create for themselves?

10. John Ingram  •  May 6, 2016 at 1:36 am

Jim, again – you are spot on –
    Nani, you must be from Oregon where they just legalized Pot – get some help!
    Michael, talk to Speaker Ryan. You two would make a great Third Party! //ji

11. David Traynor  •  May 6, 2016 at 3:19 pm

But by your own statement, 70% of us disagree. Yes my house is bigger than it was when I was 25 but my pay per window installed is exactly the same as it was 15 years ago. The work is no easier, I'm just better at it and had an increase in my standard of living. Food costs more, cars cost more, houses cost more, pay is the same. Is that not worse as a whole?

12. Andrew D.  •  May 7, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I have listened to hundreds of hours of Michael Medved over the years and one of the things that always resinated with me was how he, again and again, would tell independents that they should vote republican and if they were not happy with the party the way it is to change it by voting for change.

Now I challenge Mr. Medved, a man I respect and have learned from, to tell me how Donald Trump is not the living embodiment of his very own words?

• John Ingram  •  May 8, 2016 at 11:24 pm

AD, as you & I expected – silence – – – – – – – //ji

13. Ty  •  May 9, 2016 at 4:54 am

Just saw this video of a disgruntled conservative pissed off at a "taker" using food stamps.

She certainly seems to think the nation has gone to hell and is incredibly bitter.

14. Rick  •  May 10, 2016 at 11:04 pm

The point is that we used to have a somewhat cohesive culture in this country. We had a lot of shared values that were not controversial. Most of that common culture has been lost by cultural rot (leftism) and massive immigration from very different cultures. Simple common sense things like men shouldn't use women's bathrooms, immigrants should learn english, people shouldn't go on food stamps while they choose to go to college, people receiving government assistance should be forced to work if they can, people should not feel bad about saying "merry christmas", children are best raised by a married man and women, etc, etc, etc. are now very controversial. Remember when Dan Quayle said that a single-woman shouldn't choose to have a child without a father involved and there was an uproar? I think the nostalgia is for a time when most americans basically agreed on a moral framework for the country. And please, don't bring up Jim Crow. That has nothing to do with my point.

I actually remember Michael saying the other day that in the period after WWII Americans were unified in where they thought the country should go and that was the last time were we unified in that way. So why is Michael writing this article criticizing basically the same thing he did the other day – "nostaligia" for the past — I don't know.

Also, young people know practically nothing. So using them as an example is a little silly.

15. John D. Fiat  •  May 11, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Michael Medved is a Zionist-Globalist so he will always make the "technology" argument. What is the technology argument? It's the catch-all umbrella argument claiming that we must always believe that things are better nowadays (than they have ever been) simply due to newer and better technology. For example, when someone calls up Michael to discuss the abusive and unconstitutional power that the privately owned Federal Reserve holds over our country, Medved will immediately shift the topic to something having to do with the superior technology of today (we've all heard it countless times on "conspiracy day"). He'll say (in a sarcastic voice), "Oh yeah, we've living longer today because we've got much worse medical care (i.e. technology) and living standards." But of course, he completely ignores the real issues there like, how much better off we'd be if we hadn't had the "banksters" running (and hijacking) our economic system for the last 100+ years. And ironically, if we would've had a truly free economic system for that entire time, our technology would be lightyears ahead of where it is today.

As usual, Medved's logic falls flat on it's face, and to subscribe to that (dangerous) line of thinking is to believe that Obama is superior in intelligence to George Washington. Because after all, George had to write with a feather dipped in ink and travel by horseback while Obama has an iPad and a fleet of Air Force 1's. And in Michael Medved's world that makes him smarter because he has newer and fancier stuff!

Hear what Michael has to say about Health Markets