DIANE MEDVED: Trump vs. Hillary Debate: You Shoulda Watched Til the End

Patrons at McGregor's Bar and Grill watch the first televised debate between Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump in San Diego, California, September 26, 2016.  REUTERS/Sandy Huffaker

Like ten million others, you tuned in to the Donald Trump-Hillary Clinton presidential debate. Maybe you got a couple beers beforehand; maybe you went to a party where everybody got a few beers before, during and after.

Gathered around the 60-inch TV, you watched in expectation as the candidates went at it, Trump unloading his characteristic smirks, head-cocks, grimaces and generalizations about the way he’s gonna fix taxes and bring business back to the US, believe me, with a tax on goods coming in. Hillary struck you as smart, with her early comment that put “abyss” in the same sentence as “precipice.”

But pretty soon Hillary was back to yada-yada-yada, and Trump just kept on with his negative platitudes about how we’re in such debt, and jobs are going away, and, well, you asked your friend how her weekend in Cabo went.

Chatting or snacking or looking at the mail became interesting. Hillary smiled at Donald’s insults, and spoke in complete sentences. And if you kept watching, you might have noticed Donald slowly melting down. He repeated himself. He started babbling. He got defensive, insisting for far too long that he never supported the war in Iraq, and you can ask this one and then the next one…same with his waffling on the Birther issue–when he claimed his accomplishment was to get Obama to release his birth certificate, and then got tangled in whether or not he really cared about the subject all the years he’s been blathering about it.

He crashed on his twice-corrected insistence that he couldn’t reveal his tax returns, and fell splat on questions of his inheritance and stiffing workers of their pay. His answers on racism weren’t much different from Hillary’s except his repetition of “law and order.”

If your friend’s trip to Cabo hadn’t been so interesting, you might have kept watching to see these Trump pratfalls, but after the first half hour, the exercise got so yawn-worthy, well, you felt you’d been there, done that.

That’s the thing: anyone for Hillary came away from the TV feeling smug. Anyone for Donald was unmoved, because it’s not really what he says that earns support, it’s the way he says it. And he stayed the course with his “it’s a disaster” message about everything in the US, and even insisting that paying no taxes was ‘good business’ earned the cheers of those eager to snub the sensible yada-yada-yada of politics as usual–which Hillary so capably represents.

Visit Diane Medved’s Blog Here

1. Henry  •  Sep 28, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Trump clearly convinced his advisers to let him wing this debate (as he did in the primaries) and he not only missed tremendous opportunities to nail Hillary on a half dozen major issues, but he fell prey to defending his Iraq position (who cares?), his birther nonsense (who cares?), and his 20-year-old misstep with a Miss Universe (who cares?). But he will not make these same mistakes in the next debates. He tried his way. Now he will listen to his advisers as he should have done. It always takes a while with him, but he’s not the idiot the left wishes you to believe. … Hillary will be the same yada, yada, yada, … the same “let’s tax the wealthy,” … the same “let’s pipe dream free college, clean energy industries, child care, etc.”, … the same “I made a mistake with my server, but I’ll be fine now,” … the same, “Oh God, I just want to be the first woman president. Please be ‘with me,’ please be ‘with me’!” … Well the citizenry is NOT stupid. I can’t wait for Round 2.

2. Stan Alexander, M.D.  •  Sep 30, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Responses to moderator’s questions during the debate are easier to come by using the retrospectoscope. But as an avowed armchair quarterback, I feel compelled to do a redox on the ‘Birther’ query. My response would have been as follows:
    “Thank you, Mr. Moderator, for that question. I am going to take my full allotted 2 minutes to put this all in perspective.
    “First, I have moved on past the ‘birther issue’ as I recently announced. I believe the President has, too, and so should the liberal media.
    “But remember we do have Constitutional qualifications to be president: (1) you need to be 35 years old; and (2) our founding fathers intended that our president should be a natural-born citizen. The reason for the former is maturity. Here it is important to recall what Winston Churchill said, ‘If you are not a liberal when you are 20 you have no heart; if you are not a conservative when you are 30 you have no brain.’
    “So, we need our president to be sufficiently mature, and further he/she should share in the belief and endorse the perspective of American Exceptionalism. We should not have our chief executive bow to or apologize to any other country. As such, we need to be wary of anyone not raised in the continental US, anyone who does not understand the culture of Americanism.
    Secondly, as mentioned, President Obama seems to appear undamaged from the birther issue. He looks to be quite happy, outgoing and content in his very frequent golfing forays and vacations and his increasingly frequent partisan political rallies – where he grins and cajoles. The only times he seems to be humbled is when visiting foreign countries, and it’s doubtful that that has anything to do with having his birth site questioned.
    So, thirdly, no one was really hurt; moreover, there were no deaths. Alternatively, during the Benghazi attach there were 4 American deaths, one of whom was our Ambassador. And where was Sec Clinton during that time? Asleep? Where was she when there were repeated calls for increased security? Asleep? There is no Email confirmation that she was even contacted. Wasn’t she sufficiently important to be put in the loop? Or perhaps she was recovering from her brain injury – and when she awoke she apparently had a Benghazi dream or some revelation that the whole thing was caused when a flash mob responded to an anti-Muslim video. At least that’s what she told the family members of the deceased. And where was she when that video ruse was presented to the UN as the putative cause of the attack? At the same time did she not tell her daughter the actual truth? So, who put the constraints on her to keep up the farce? Alternatively, since there was no evidence of any communication during Benghazi, she possibly missed all of these signal events and connecting dots. Why? Didn’t anyone trust her?
    As president, I would have kept all the interested principles awake, alert and aware, and demanded their participation in such an event where the US is under assault, such as with an embassy attack. We are at war with ‘Radical Islam’ and we need to act accordingly. And we need to restrict our cabinet members to people whom we can trust and who can perform under adverse conditions, birther issues and other minor distraction aside. Thank you.

• Thom Conroy  •  Oct 3, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Well said Dr. Alexander, I sure how Trump and his people are reading things like this and are making drastic changes in tactics. If not, we're doomed to have Clinton as president and all the radical liberal ideology that comes with her.

3. S johnson  •  Sep 30, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I can see how bias Diane is just like Micheal, there is no way either of you are true conservatives by the way you talk.there are things that are important no matter how long it has been as we are supposed to have the rule of law but people like you only pick and chose which one to support as well as wanting to continue the same failed ideas that faux conservatives like you want to keep going, Trump is not a polished liar and I think it's time we got someone like him in office.
    Diane you really need to get better educated on the real issues before opening your mouth to mislead people.i thought you were smarter than that but then once a deceiving person always one.

• Gary Liniger  •  Oct 1, 2016 at 11:45 pm

S.Johnson: I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you said.

• Sjohnson  •  Oct 4, 2016 at 12:08 pm

So don't insult your own by such a comment,

4. Tru  •  Oct 1, 2016 at 11:47 am

Personally, I went to Cabo last year and was bored out of my mind. On the other hand, last Monday was like warching a train wreck in slo-mo. I think you might have enjoyed it more if you had looked for the machinations and strategies on Hillary's part and not just the surface text. Clearly, she hired some of the best psychologists etc. available and was able to take Trump down like a rabid moose. Credit where credit is due.

5. R Davis  •  Oct 1, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Maybe she had his mic and podium custom-built too. "Dirty tricks are the game and Hillary is the name for them". I don't trust her.

6. Henry  •  Oct 3, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Dan and Amy sitting in for Michael today. What a reinvigorating dose of fresh air! We’re actually getting some criticism of Hillary for a change. … Imagine that! The worst candidate ever to be *awarded a nomination, and a conservative talk show is actually being critical with her! … Michael, get a clue.
    *With all due respect to Mr. O’Malley, the Democratic Party didn’t actually posit a serious competitor. If anyone feels otherwise (i.e., cf., Mr. Sanders), then the Democratic Party must be even more socialist that we imagine!

7. Henry  •  Oct 5, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Wow. The day after Dan and Amy leave the show, Michael is flat out asked if he wants Trump to win. He says no. “So, you want Hillary to win?” he’s asked. “No, I just don't want Trump to win.” … Well, gosh that’s nobel, Michael. … At the risk of throwing out a few cliches: Are you not aware that this is a binary choice? Do you not understand that the incompetence we know is almost certainly worse than the incompetence we don’t? … The only way to push aside Hillary (liar, incompetent, sleazy), and her entourage (awful, leftists, security risks), and her supreme court (yikes!), and her big government advances (OMG), … is to elect Trump (moron, politically naive, sleazy) and his entourage (high quality), and his supreme court (sensible), and his putting the breaks on big government (refreshing). Michael, we do not elect a person. We elect an entourage and an ideology. What part of this do you not understand?

8. Jim Bird  •  Oct 10, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Dateline America: Republican Party abandons nominee – The Day the Earth Stood Still – The GOP is SOL – GOP voters abandon Party

Dear Michael and your ilk,

All of you incredibly brilliant smart guys whose intellectual heights cannot even be approached, let alone understood, by we peasants outside the Beltway. I heard you will vote for Hillary because "……. Trump has promised to blowup NAFTA and NATO." I see. Ok. Uh huh. I forgot there was no America before NAFTA and NATO and besides, blowing them up is a lot worse than blowing up the Supreme Court and the Party of Lincoln and the world with terrorists with nuke weapons. Uh huh.

I'm still having a hard time figuring it all out, hmmm. Oh that's right it was you who said "….. Obama loves this country and is doing his very best to uphold the ideals and founding documents and rule of law….." Or words to that effect. Yep, I'm starting to understand that I'm far far far-out too stupid to understand you and the Party.

And you know my terrified stupid friends think the same way too! Imagine that!! Here are a few obviously stupid questions we don't understand: ~ Why did Obama give nukes and hundreds of billions of dollars to terrorist countries like Bill Clinton did with North Korea? Why is Hillary not in prison or Obama for that matter – what did Nixon or Petreyus do? Why will some of my grandsons be killed in WWIII? Why did the RNC put Trump on the nominee list if they were never going to support him?

Damn this is hard to understand but I'm so damn stupid. Sorry, I forgot. Please though explain to us/me why we can't see the obvious answers to these simple questions. I would truly appreciate it!

9. Jim Bird  •  Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 am

I made myself listen to Michael a little this afternoon. Between 2:25 and 2:40 PST two callers had the same question back-to-back. Paraphrasing their exasperating horror with Michael that Hillary is far better than Trump "…. because we know with 100% certainty that Trump will destroy America and the world…." saying we need to be enthusiastic voting for the "down ticket" conservative folks and not Trump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Michael, w t f. Obama and Hillary are mass murdering Marxist thugs who cheer lead cop assassinations funding terrorist armies with nukes with my tax dollars and my grandsons blood you sellout (expletives redacted). DO YOU, IN YOUR WILDEST IMAGINATION THINK THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WILL SURVIVE BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR ILK?? CALLING YOU OUT HERE — WHY DID RNC PUT TRUMP ON NOMINEE LIST?? TO ABANDON HIM IF HE WON?!?!?

• Jim Bird  •  Oct 11, 2016 at 10:43 am

Ref: Reply to Michael

Please respond to my last question above and I promise never to listen again or foul your "comments" section again as well. Would you respond during your first hour PST? Trump won't win now anyway with the intellectual elites dis'ing him. If you like (totally unnecessary though) would you answer one more question – why do you think the GOP and RNC are so distrusted by their former Party members? I know your 20% number is very low. But I must say, you guys won by denigrating him on an hourly basis for the better part of a year. Congratulations. Would it, in retrospect, not have been better to point out Obama and H's idiosyncracies over the past 8/25 years? Just saying.

• Jim Bird  •  Oct 11, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Never mind Michael,

I've just been reading the latest wiki-leaks Hillary/Podesta emails. WWIII is well underway in Germany and the rest of Europe with all those new male immigrants between the ages of 18 and 35. Our multimillion-man unvetted immigrant army will be firmly embedded this time next year too. Thanks for all your help though. You tried your best. Please disregard all prior questions. Be happy, don't worry. Sayonara.

free autographed copy of Michael Medved's new book