Don’t Give Obama What He Wants

Barack Obama

As Republican leaders seek consensus on a strategy to block Obamacare, some insist that partial government shutdowns in 1995 and ’96 weren’t disasters for the GOP—despite the sweeping Clinton re-election victory that followed those confrontations. But the current president embraces the conventional wisdom that voters blamed Republicans for shutdowns last time and that they’d also blame the GOP if it happened again.

Obama wants a showdown and plans to use it to his advantage. No one expects him to agree to repeal Obamacare under any circumstances, and if House Republicans refuse to pass continuing resolutions with Obamacare funding, he’ll welcome the crisis and its accompanying hysteria. Don’t give the president what he wants: there’s no advantage, and no honor, in forcing a confrontation where both the party and the nation are bound to lose.

1. B. Goddard  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Wisdom (again) flows from the lips/pen of Michael Medved!

2. Lardo  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I’m sorry, Michael. But you’re way off base here. The Clinton re-election was due way more to the piss-poor Republican candidate than it was the either of the government shutdowns. The choice of Bob Dole (Because it was “his turn”.) was the real disaster. And, unfortunately, a lesson the Republican establishment refuses to learn.

You say we shouldn’t “give the president what he wants”. Yet you’re willing to give in to his disasterous healthcare boondoggle.

With Republicans like you, who needs Democrats?

• Charlie Day  •  Aug 17, 2013 at 4:06 am

Lardo, You are a dumb bell. The Republican disaster after the shut down of the government was during the congressional elections when the Republicans lost the Senate and the House. Clinton’s defeat of Dole happened two years later and was not related to the government shut down. Please learn you history before you open your mouth and expose your ignorance.

• Mark Vogel  •  Aug 17, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Charlie your history is wrong too. I don’t for sure about the senate. I’m pretty sure Republicans kept a senate majority until 2000 when it lost the senate because Jim Jeffords switched from Republican to independent. I’m a 100 percent sure Republicans did not lose the house majority until 2006 midterm elections. Before you call someone else dumb, you better look in the mirror first.

3. Dan H  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I agree with the line of thought, don’t defund it, enforce it. Ask the Supreme Court to rule on Separation of Powers and void all of Obama’s wavers. Put ObamaCare in full force this October. It worked with father’s wisdom years ago. The kid wants to smoke, fine, smoke this whole pack while I watch. Had enough yet? The repeal with be demanded before you know it.

4. Lee  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Michael, I like your show and I’ve been a subscriber for years, but you’re starting to sound a lot like my unfortunate senator John McCain. We better go along with the Democrats on Obamacare or people won’t like us. We better pass amnesty before the border is secure or people won’t like us. BULL. The Republican Party needs to start fighting the Democrats as hard as the Democrats fight us. Pass a continuing resolution funding everything EXCEPT Obamacare, and let the Senate defeat it or Obama veto it if they will. Pass nothing on immigration except a bill requiring that the border be secure before any amnesty is considered. And, for goodness sake, don’t nominate another candidate who is afraid to speak against the Democrat nominee.

• D.Lee  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I totally agree with Lee and Dan H. Republicans like McCain and our RINO, Lindsay Graham, are what is wrong with the GOP. The future is with Cruz, Paul, Gowdy, Chavetz and Lee. True conservatives who care more about the American people than they do their own political futures. John McCain has been such a disappointment on this border/amnesty mess. The Grand Old Party needs an infusion of young blood. Then get Boehner a tissue!

• Michael Edinburgh  •  Aug 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

If Cruz and Lee follow this path of shutting down the government – and that is absolutely how it will be perceived by the public at large – they will be the past of the Republican party because the Republicans will bear the wrath of the voters. It doesn’t matter how many arguments we make and how good we think they are if the public trusts the Presidents version vastly more than he trusts congress. And they do. I don’t like it any more than you do, but the Presidents approval rating is multiples higher than Congress so our guys will get booted out and Nancy Pelosi will take over again if the shut down happens. There is no questions. Is that what you want?

5. anthonymixan  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Gad zooks,I recall Dole falling off a stage at a rally; that sealed his fate as a loser.

6. C. Allen  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I agree with Michael, one of my favorite commentators. I’m a conservative who has moderated as I age to center right, even centrist in my thinking. I believe a well-run socialized medical program has economies of scale that could make it a good solution for the average American. (And yes, I supported the Romney who signed Massachusetts’ socialized medicine legislation–go ahead and call me a RINO). The primary reason for not supporting it is the inefficiency that characterizes many government-run programs. However, when Americans see the built-in cronyism and preference for unions of Obama Care, I think they will see the light and there will be a backlash. Then, hopefully, Republicans and Democrats can compromise to forge reasonable modifications of the Affordable Care Act.

7. Stanley Coal  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Michael, if you don’t defund it, there is no difference between you and one who supports it 100%. Feeling lousy about voting for ObamafiaCare, is exactly like pushing for it all along

• Michael Edinburgh  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Uh, quick reality check Stanley – it cannot be defunded by Michael, conservatives and the house. Our system, sadly, provides no possible way to defund it under current circumstances. The only smart strategy is to change the circumstances to gain more power for Republicans and shutting down the government will do the exact opposite.

Maybe it will make you feel good to shut down the government, but you are killing any chance of getting rid of Socialize Medicine by doing it.

8. William Glade  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I agree with Michael. Obama is floundering and his support continues to dwindle. Obama lost support during the 2012 election compared to the 2008 election and I would bet that he would not able to garner the same support he did in 12. He also lacks the leadership skills to lead a program through to its full implementation hence the delays. The GOP has the advantage. If they manage to confront Obama on some sort of showdown that will re energize Obama’s narcissism and given the GOP’s ineptitude in public relations and communication he is sure to win that battle

9. Michael Edinburgh  •  Aug 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Fact 1 – The is 0% chance that Obama will defund ObamaCare. 0%. If you believe it’s possible, then you likely believe that the tooth fairy will solve our national debt. Get real.

Fact 2 – Congress will be blamed for a Govt shutdown, not Obama. Obama’s approval is sky high compared to Congress. Just a fact people. There is NO chance that shutting down the Government will be blamed on Obama – it doesn’t matter how you frame the argument when over 1/3 of the population has never even HEARD of ObamaCare and almost everyone gets their news from mainstream media. I hate it, you hate it but I live in the real world where we need a winning strategy, not a losing one.

The bottom line given the facts – that’s what Michael is using – is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to defund Obamacare UNTIL we win majorities in both houses of Congress and have the Presidency. If Republican’s pursue this attempt, then we give the Democrats everything they want. We probably lose the senate and Obamacare will live forever because Republican’s will be blamed by most people for shutting down the government and they will be thrown out of office. So long Ted Cruz, Mike Lee and the rest.

Anyone who wants to reverse this disastrous course of Obamacare knows it can ONLY be done by winning the White House and majorities in congress. Shut down the government and you guarantee Obamacare is in your life forever. “Facts are inconvenient things”….

• Alan Mebes  •  Sep 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Not sure what you mean in Fact 1. No one is asking Obama to defund Obamacare. The Congress controls the purse strings, it is therefore their opportunity to defund.
      The problem with letting Obamacare go forward is, as with most government programs, once they get in it is near impossible to have them removed.

10. Jerome from Layton  •  Aug 17, 2013 at 1:45 am

First, the POTUS, CREDO, and the rest of the left will continue saying snide things about Conservatives; so what else is new?
    Second, NO GUTS, NO GLORY. Reminds me of the Six Day War.
    Third, all it takes is 216 Representatives with a Molon Labe attitude to stop this thing. As they said at Thermopyle, Bring It On!

• Michael Edinburgh  •  Aug 17, 2013 at 2:35 am

Jerome – Irrelevant what the left says. That’s not the point. |What matters is what the VOTERS say. If Govt shuts down, they will say “Goodbye Republicans – you shut the govt down”. And the Republican’s will have handed the rest of the govt to the Dems and shut down whoever is running for the Republicans for President. How does that make ANY sense at all?

No guts no glory – where is the glory in suicide, Jerome? The Republicans will commit effective suicide if they shut down the government. And this will get us what exactly?

Third, 216 representatives does nothing at all against the Senate and Presidential veto. It just tells the public that the House Republicans cut off Veterans benefits, stopped retiree payments and brought essential services to a crawl. Ya, that’s a good thing to run on next time!

I find it amazing so many Republicans are willing to fight a battle Obama can win with one pen stroke. Hanging oneself is an ignorant strategy.

11. JGUY  •  Aug 19, 2013 at 12:44 am

Michael edingburgh…I agree with you. If the republicans want to further commit political suicide keep it up…. I noticed that during the last two presidential elections….though I did
    vote for McCain…I noticed that the winner was a man named Obama. I have noticed that
    the republicans that are in congress during the time of Obama are not a “loyal” opposition…
    The lack of their “loyal” opposition pose causes me to doubt I will vote republican again
    for a long time….and I am tradionally a republican. I am a constituent of Sen McConnell who
    I will not be supporting…I will probably just not vote.

• Michael Edinburgh  •  Aug 19, 2013 at 2:31 am

JGUY, I’m not sure how you see the republicans as not a “loyal opposition”. I think you are taking the phrase out of proper context. Loyal Opposition refers to the party out of power remaining loyal to the country and it’s governing structure. I cannot think of anything the Republicans have done to abrogate that. In fact, the Rs have done everything possible to stay within the systemic limits of our structure. My criticism is of a strategy.
      If you speak of the criticism of Obama, then you misunderstand the term.
      In fact, I always find it immensely funny when people complain about those who criticize the President – George Bush endured the most troglodyte, disgusting personal attacks of any President in my 50 years. Indeed, Obama has had it pretty easy by comparison – I don’t see any main stream conservatives burning him in effigy or drawing a mustache on him comparing him to HItler. I hope you were not opining the criticism of Obama – that would a truly strange and disconnected position.

12. Bernard Wolff  •  Aug 19, 2013 at 11:34 am

A point overlooked by Republicans and Michael is the need for a counterproposal for health insurance & health care reform from the Republicans & Conservative consultants. Whence the void?

If defunding were accompanied by a sensible Republican counterproposal such as proposed in front of Obama by Dr. Benjamin Carson, it would have the dual advantage of derailing Obamacare, and placing the counterproposal in the spotlight.

You will recall that Dr Carson called for every child have a Health Care Savings account established at birth, a credit card to use the HSA funds for health care, and high deductible health insurance. This would confine Govt to its proper role of sensible regulation, and address problems that now exist with health insurance. Reform of malpractice lawsuits, and removing barriers to selling insurance across state lines would also be needed.

As it is, the incompetence of the Republican elite gives Obama & the media the ability to claim that it’s “Obamacare or the broken status quo”.

Term limits for Senators and Congressmen are sorely needed to flush the Washington elite out of power, and return Washington to representing their constituents rather than playing palace power games while getting fabulously rich.

• Alan Mebes  •  Sep 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

All good points. The Republicans had an alternative prior to the law being implemented. Unfortunately the Democrats who controlled the Congress at the time ignored it as did the press. Also the Republicans did not promote it on their own and explain how it would help control prices. Half of Carson’s proposals were in the Republican plan.

13. Dave  •  Aug 23, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I’m so tired of RINO after RINO being put up against these corrupt Demorats. We need a fighter, and we need to fight Obummercare w/everything we have at our disposal.
    Michael, what you don’t understand is that we won 2010 because of Grassroots Patriots, we’re hungering for a fight. Let them shut down the government, we’ve already lost 2 presidential elections, what the hell are you so afraid of???? Everywhere you turn, with the exception of blue states………..liberty is winning. In spite of your establishment pukes calling them liars, and dis-crediting them as crazies, etc. Can’t wait to hear your analysis post 2014, I think you’ll be eating some Crow.

Hear what Michael has to say about Health Markets