Dramatic Reverse in Border Flow

Despite alarmist rhetoric from some commentators and activists, the flow of Mexican illegal immigrants across the southern border isn’t surging. Actually, that flow has not only stopped, it has significantly reversed—with more undocumented Mexicans going home than arriving in the US.

In a significant new report, the Pew Research Service now identifies 5.8 million Mexicans living unlawfully in America – about half of the total illegal immigrant population and down nearly 20% in the last nine years.

Census figures show the median length of residency for all illegals in the US is now 14 years, and among the total of 55 million US Hispanics, two-thirds are American born, nearly all of whom speak fluent English. In fact, 84% of the Hispanic population is either native born, naturalized citizens, or legal residents eligible for citizenship – so they will comprise a powerful, growing political force regardless of federal decisions on deportations or immigration reform.

1. Jim Bird  •  Sep 27, 2016 at 1:48 am

I've been waiting years for this commentary. The 11 million figure has never changed since the Reagan years; it never changes. Is there a rule (obviously there's not a law) that states for every illegal that comes, in one illegal must leave??? Are all the men eunuches::? So they never have kids, bring family members over? There are 5.8 million in LA county. BUT YOU ARE TELLING YOUR LISTENERS, AFTER DECADES, THE NEW NUMBER NATIONWIDE IS 5.8.?!

WHY WOULD AMERICANS BELIEVE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WHEN YOU TRY TO PUSH THIS INSANE GIBBERISH DOWN OUR THROATS?

Here's a personal story and believe me I do not give damn if you believe it or not. My wife and I adopted a girl whose mother was an illegal from Tiajuana. Our daughter was severely beaten as a child several times before Social Services removed her from the home. At age 16 the mother found out where we lived and wanted to make contact with her and our daughter was curious, so we said it was ok. The mother was 36 and had 11 other kids by several other men. Two older girls had a baby each. They all lived in one 3-BR apartment in Chino, CA and of course on welfare 100%. Our daughter had a part time job at Subway and within 15 minutes Mom said she should get all of her income. That was 20 years ago and our daughter, who has 1 child and is happily married, has had no contact for almost 20 years.

So, let's see: one illegal by age 36 has 14 offspring who are LEGAL. I'm positive none of the kids had kids, aren't you?

2. Gail Stetson  •  Oct 1, 2016 at 5:23 am

I agree with you, Jim. Why would all those illegals go back unless it's to be first in line for a job at the new Ford plant. And why can't we send people back? Eisenhower deported 4 million without computers to assist in finding and tracking. Come to think of it, it's who runs the computers since we just oops!! accidentally granted citizenship to over 1800. I appreciate mr. Medved's brilliance, but he's off base on a few issues including this one and Donald Trump.

3. Kevin Meechan  •  Oct 1, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Michael, what is your point? That sometimes conservatives overreact and exaggerate? Assuming these figures are accurate and in context so what? It is a serious issue for a multitude of obvious reasons. Did you also mention that illegal immigration form Central America (particularly children) is WAY up since Obama started encouraging it with his various illegal "executive actions"? I guess I missed this part. Besides jobs, wages and national security there is an active effort by Obama, Democrats and some on the right as well including the Chamber of Commerce to "fundamentally transform America" (remember those words?) demographically to a more "diverse" (read: poorer, lower job skills, more government dependence, less assimilation (Muslim), and MORE LIKELY TO VOTE DEMOCRAT!!) populace. This is the key issue, if you want to keep losing elections permanently (and never again have a Republican occupy the White House) then by all means let's not overreact to the immigration issue! Obama and the Dems are not joking, the future of the country that we know and love is at stake and it's time to quit being nice and fight to win. Michael your intentions are good but you are far too concerned with appearing a "reasonable conservative" than you are with actually defeating the scourge of modern progressive statist totalitarian Democratic politics, which only continues unabated in slowly reducing the US to just another "progressive" European-like state with Central Planners running our lives, regulating our every breath, crushing innovation and commerce and kowtowing to Islamaphobia.

• John I  •  Oct 4, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Kevin, you are SO on the mark – MM is apparently still in Kansas with TOTO and is completely out of touch with Americans (some of whom I know personally). The ones I know actually listen to his show and follow his lead.
      I gave up on him long ago, I suggest everyone reading this does likewise! //ji

4. John Liposky  •  Oct 2, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Kevin is much more insightful than Michael on this.

5. Kevin Meechan  •  Oct 2, 2016 at 5:27 pm

BTW I should have added this: Michael will say that Republicans need to do a lot better at courting and attracting votes from minorities, recent immigrants, moderates, etc. and expand our base and I totally agree. but let's not make the mistake of trying to "get along" with ruthless Democrat totalitarians and let's do our best to stem the flow of more folks who on balance signal the continued decline of the Republican party. Signing on to a "comprehensive immigration reform" with Obama in office and the current Senate leadership (both majority and minority) would have meant future demographic suicide for the Republican party and I am thankful this was one of the areas where the (typically spineless) Republican leadership held firm. The benefits of cheap labor and even assuming a net gain in financial benefit to the nation (according to Libertarian analysis) isn't worth the cost of the end of our nation as we know it and totalitarian statist progressive dominance for generations to come. You might also note per the Trump campaign (as pathetic as it is) that immigration policy/national security can be winning issues. Too bad these issues aren't in better hands but let's keep on message and not get involved in compromise and "moderation" that will signal our end politically. Yes I think it's that serious.

6. John I  •  Oct 4, 2016 at 4:36 pm

John I • Oct 4, 2016 at 4:32 pm
    I gave up on him long ago, I suggest everyone reading this does likewise! http://www.coasoft.com/FW/index.html
    //ji

7. Mark baker  •  Oct 5, 2016 at 4:08 pm

This is false. There is many articles in the last week of a border surge for democrat votes and people getting in before the browser closes

8. Rob S  •  Oct 11, 2016 at 10:48 am

Medved is all in for #Medved4Hillary2016 !!!

Hear what Michael has to say about Health Markets