Evangelicals for Trump: A Matter of Self-Defense

The sharpest divisions in politics today aren’t based on race or economic status, but on religion. Last year’s exit polls showed 26 percent who described themselves as Evangelical Christians, and they preferred Donald Trump by a crushing margin of 80 to 16 percent.

Among the rest of the electorate—the 74 percent who said they were NOT evangelical or born-again—Hillary won a landslide, 60 to 34 percent.

Why the difference, when few fervent Christians viewed Trump as a paragon of virtue, or a person of deep faith?

The answer involves pervasive fear about threats to religious liberty—with  people of faith alarmed at attacks on individuals, businesses and even religious organizations that espouse politically incorrect views on same sex marriage, abortion, or public prayer.

Unless liberals begin standing up for religious liberty and freedom of conscience, and stop treating religious believers as the enemy, people of faith will continue to swing elections to the GOP as a matter of self-defense.

(Visited 1 times, 6 visits today)

1. Ty  •  Sep 7, 2017 at 4:04 am

Liberals and democrats are never going to get religious conservatives on board en masse unless they flip on abortion, which is not going to happen. And evangelicals are perfectly content to let a thousand other cows be set ablaze to preserve the one sacred cow they care most about. The sanctity of human life. Because to them, a few cluster of cells is no different than a 5 year old.

• kmeechan  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Ty, try reading Michael's article again, the issue isn't religious conservatives getting "on board" with the left, the issue is the left's complete disregard for religious liberty (unless it's Islam), freedom of speech, etc. The left (in general, particularly BLM, Antifa, academia, etc.) is becoming increasingly intolerant and totalitarian and thinks nothing of shutting down peaceful protest, rioting when "necessary", telling the Police to "stand down" and let conservatives get attacked or let entire neighborhoods burn down or be looted, trying to get radio and TV shows cancelled if they don't agree with the host, destroying business owners who exercise their religious liberties, etc. Assuming you don't agree with this I suggest you speak up or your side will continue losing ground, the tide is turning and us "regular" folks of all stripes (I am conservative but not religious) have had more than enough.

I am not sure what the "1000 cows" are that we will let burn (maybe you can clarify) but religious/conservatives have many concerns besides abortion (not really at the top of my radar screen as it is settled law) and we are tired of being branded as full of hate or racist just because we reject BLM tactics or defend freedom of speech or peaceful assembly or we voted for Trump (I did not). Enough of this juvenile rhetoric (that includes you).

As for the sanctity of human life, yes thankfully many of us recognize the importance of this and make no apologies for it while the left condones and celebrates late term/partial birth abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide and soulless collectivism where we are all a cog under the enlightened control of the ever growing power of the state and the elitist academics who want to run things and think like you. No thanks. Whether you think abortion should be legal/regulated/illegal yes those embryonic cells are HUMAN life (and BTW there are only 2 genders: it's called SCIENCE) no matter what your opinion is on abortion. Why pretend otherwise?

2. Rizzo  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 9:52 am

Apparently, a few cluster of cells is no different to you either… otherwise, why are you so concerned about them?
    You soulless leftists are pathetic. It's not just a cluster of cells, you sick bastards support the killing of babies up to the time of birth.
    So Ty, when does that "cluster of cells" become something more?

3. Rizzo  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 1:56 pm

It is very telling to what lengths a person/political movement will go, to justify and rationalize the taking of another's life.
    The Nazi's viewed the Jews as "parasitical, polluting people", to rationalize murder, while today's leftists view the unborn as just unwanted "cluster of cells". Each, in their own way helping to create the industrialization of murder.
    Probably really easy for a self-described atheist to do.

4. marie  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Mr. Medved, what percent did you mean to say? "…preferred Donald Trump by a crushing margin of 80 to 16 percent." ???

5. Fungah!  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Ty and Rizzo… You guys need your own show.

6. Johnny Cuyana  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 5:54 pm

In the last paragraph, the author writes: " … stop treating religious believers as the enemy …"

What?! This is Bull Crap! This is ABSOLUTE insane suicidal rubbish! Some religious believers ARE THE ENEMY … to anyone who loves freedom; particularly, citizens of ALL Western-style nations [cultures].

Members of the muhammedan death cult — really, an evil religion created by an evil psychotic false prophet — believe my family and me — and, for that matter, ALL non-believers — to be kafir; where kafir is the most derogatory term … which they use to characterize all non-believers; essentially, the "n-word". The unholy kkkoran and unholy sunnah are replete with references to the "sub-human" kafir; particularly on how to deal with them. It ain't very pretty, and, in many instances, it is basically humiliation, enslavement, torture, and murder. Such is indeed MANDATED by this unholy sick false prophet [may misery and death be upon him].

In fact, according to these two unholy and vile texts — which comprise the PRIMARY SOURCES of ALL FUNDAMENTAL muhammedan law and theology — the kafir, particularly the "people of the book", which are the Jews and Christians, are believed to be descendants of apes and pigs. IOW, again, sub-human.

Further, ALL kafir are to be conquered; we are to be defeated and either converted to be cultists in this death cult, dhimmified [made to be second-class subjects], enslaved or killed. According to this death cult, there are NO other options.

So, NO, some religious believers ARE THE ENEMY! Please correct or retract your statement.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Hmmm…. Johnny, what percent of US citizens have ANYTHING to do with what you're talking about?
      I think you are way off base.

7. Douglas B. Drysdale  •  Sep 8, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Trump–yes or no? I am an evangelical Christian, but this question is like to old stand-up comedian's line: A friend said to me, How's your wife? My response was: Compared to what?
    I didn't vote for Trump in the primary or in the general election. But–between Trump, Hilary and Bernie, it's a matter of "compared to what?"

8. Semitro  •  Sep 9, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Michael your right, and if I could add to that by saying evangelicals were more afraid of Hillary than Donald Trump. As an evangelical myself I could not with conscience vote for either. In my state I was able to do that because Hillary did win in my state. I'm not afraid who's in office my God is greater and I'm not going to lower my standard for anyone Republican or democrate.

9. Nani Tavares  •  Sep 11, 2017 at 2:36 pm

In remembrance of 9/11 because we should remember.

In 2001, I was a part of a group that hailed from 4 foreign countries: Canada, UK, Germany, and Australia. During our down time, most of these people would join the Americans in our group in a wonderful pastime of knocking our prospective governments, particularly the U.S.A. because she was the big guy (translation: bully) on the world stage. I paid little heed to this hobby for no reason than it simply failed to interest me. I didn’t care what some politician did or didn’t do nor did I care with whom he/she did it. A female Secretary of State didn’t impress me one iota. And other than the cases that involved my pet issue, I really found it hard to get all worked up about anything the Supreme Court decided.

On that September morning, I was awaken by a colleague from the U.K. He advised me to turn on my t.v. His voice was solemn and almost expectant; the kind of tone people used when they expect to deal with something they really rather not.

“Is this for real?” I asked when they replayed the two towers crumbling to the ground…it looked like some kind of movie stunt.

“Yes.” he replied, again that pause, that expectant tone that said, please don’t get too emotional.

I watched for a bit, listening to the reporter. Finally, I said, “I’ve got to get dress; I’ve got a client that is intent on making my life miserable.”

“You’re going to work?” he asked incredulously, the first crack in an otherwise deliberately controlled voice.

I frowned, “Why not?”

“Well, there might be…50 thousands deaths, maybe more. YOUR people.”

“Look,” I said, getting pretty angry. I disliked it when things began to unravel. I like knowing what’s happening and why. And failing that, the probability and the possibility of avoiding negative consequences. “Every year thousands of people die…of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. That’s life.”

Silence. I didn’t care. So, I can be pretty cold sometimes. Well, I wasn’t in some popularity contest. If you like what I do, you buy. If you don’t, you go elsewhere. Simple.

I live in the country and the drive to town was long and pretty hectic. Only today, the freeway was rather empty. Except at the openings to the various bases. There, long lines of cars waited to get through what was now heavily secured gates.

By the time I parked my car in the multi garage complex, I was shaking and I didn’t know why. I made my way to the front and climbed the stairs to the building where I worked. Waikiki is one of the hottest tourist attractions in the world, yet on this day, all I saw were two soldiers, perhaps National guardsmen, walking down the street carrying rifles.

I was all alone in the elevator and the ride up seemed to take forever.

My phone was ringing by the time I let myself in. I’m not sure why but I was really surprised when it turned out to be my Canadian client from h*ll. “Did you hear?” I began, then stopped. I could hear the panic in my voice. I swallowed hard and tried again. “My country was attacked.”

And just like that, with zero warning, I realized that I actually loved America. I mean sappy, this is the greatest country in the world kind of loved America. Tears were falling down my cheeks and real grief for those who had been killed began to churn in the pit of my stomach.

I remember thinking of the war stories of my elderly relatives and wondering if we too would have to blacken our windows and ration our food.

In the days that followed, strange things happened. People went to church, children prayed in school, Congress stood on the steps of the Capital and sang God Bless America.

And the courts said “so what” and “too bad” to the ACLU and all those anti-Christian groups.

Cops, Firemen, and soldiers were heroes again.

And for one shiny moment, this nation came together.

For some of us, 9/11 changed everything.

For others, 9/11 only changed … one moment.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 11, 2017 at 6:37 pm

What an incredible story… so very thoughtful, and heartfelt.
      Thank you for sharing your experience. On a day, like today, and a day unlike any other in my lifetime, I needed that. 9/11 changed everything for me too, and I will never go back and be the person I was before.
      God Bless America, the Greatest Country to ever have existed!

• Jim Bird  •  Sep 15, 2017 at 9:20 am

I just now saw your commentary Nani. Thank you (with tears running down my face again too).