Even When You Disagreed, You Had to Admire Him

Courtesy Fox News/Handout via REUTERS

When Charles Krauthammer died last week, tributes poured in from colleagues and fans of every ideological persuasion. It’s hard to think of another contemporary commentator or journalist who inspired such widespread, bi-partisan, affectionate regard.

What earned him this special place in the worlds of media and politics?

First, Krauthammer’s columns unmistakably reflected his character—brilliant, reasonable, witty, warm and utterly sincere. Those of us who were privileged to know him well could recognize the real Charles in every sentence he published.

Second, the public marveled at his heroic personal story: a quadriplegic from age 21, he never allowed his physical limitations to interfere with his positive, passionate life.

In today’s world, even when you agree with a politician it’s commonly hard to respect him. But with Krauthammer, even when you disagreed with him, you had to admire him.

1. Rizzo  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Speaking of disagreements…. Have any of you seen the poor transgender "woman", who was refused entry into the ladies bathroom?

Please click the link to see this "woman".
    These leftists have LOST THEIR MINDS!

• Ty  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 3:55 pm

I bet Rizzo is just mad the trans women shown there can out bench him.

• Rizzo  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 4:52 pm

No, but if her penis is bigger than mine, that’s where I draw the line. I don’t care how much you think you’re a woman or identify as one…. whatever the hell that means.

2. Ty  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 4:00 pm

I always liked hearing from krauthammer when I heard him on foxnews in clips or on radio appearances.

I consider him one of the more logical and reasonable conservatives with clear and concise thinking. I never considered him part of the feces throwing wing of the republican party. And that made his appearances on some foxnews panel all the more striking.

Imagine the scene, nearly half a dozen commenters yelling and screaming and making points that would embarrass even Rizzo in their ineptitude, and then Krauthammer comes in, sometimes just making some basic common sense point, but by comparison it comes across like the wisdom of a thousand sages.

• Rizzo  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 4:58 pm

I’ve never seen anything like what you are describing on Fox.
      What’s most striking is, the utter lack of any individual on the left, that represents such “logic”, “common sense”, and “wisdom”.
      And… also noteworthy is the fact that he was on FOX, not MSLSD or CNN aka Crap News Network.

• Ty  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Let's look at some of the post Krauthammer commentary at fox.

… Gee, I wonder why the republican party has to rely on so many whites to win, nothing about them scream white identitarianism!

The best part, the guy on the right said clearly you don't need to be a golden retriever to hear the dog whistles coming out of the white house, and the slobbering fool on the left just CONFIRMED the same thing on Fox!

As awful as your policies are, sometimes you all make my case so easy I ought to thank you.

• Rizzo  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I won't even watch your stupid-ass link, that I'm SURE proves NOTHING.
        You cherry-pick shit, and then project your own pathetic worldview.

You are totally pathetic.

Now go read Time magazine and their Fake-Ass cover!

• Rizzo  •  Jun 25, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Ty… you must out yo cotton-pickin' mind to be nitpicking FOX, when you have elected LUNATICS, like Maxine Waters, advocating that Trump supporters be heckled everywhere they go, and then you have MSNBC losers, like Elise Jordan supporting it.

My God, are you people that desperate? Politics is the art of persuasion, and you leftists have lost. You have NO VALID ARGUMENTS…. You can only try to limit free-speech and physically bully people in public.

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

• Rizzo  •  Jun 26, 2018 at 7:59 am

More evidence of the lunatic-left.

Increasing threats to Homeland Security include burned animal carcass left on staffer’s porch.

3. Jk  •  Jul 6, 2018 at 11:21 pm

One of my favorite republican presidents was GHWB. Now we are being told he was a joke. Ten conducted the most efficient military actions in our history. We got in broke shit and got out. I miss the old money, Boston Brahmans

4. Flyin' Brian  •  Jul 9, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I learned of Dr. Charles Krauthammer through television. But not through Fox. I came across the good doctor sometime in the early 1990s, during one of his appearances on the syndicated public-affairs show Inside Washington. As a late 20-something in suburban Maryland interested in politics and foreign affairs, I was captivated by his clarity, his mordant wit, his breadth of knowledge, his incisiveness, his willingness to entertain all arguments, and his adamantine defense of democracy, freedom, and pluralism. Then I discovered I was one of the lucky ones: I also could read him in my local paper, The Washington Post.
    No more. Saddened by his death, I find myself grateful his words remain. For they are the touchstones of Krauthammer’s method, interests, passions, and commitments, of his wit, tragic view of life, curiosity, skepticism, and intellectual seriousness and credibility. They can’t be ignored, just as he could not be ignored. And they are his bequest to all of us.
    One of my favorite quotes of his is, “Conserving what’s best in the past is, well, conservative advice,” he said at McGill in 1993. “It was the advice of Chesterton who defined tradition as the democracy of the dead. Tradition is the ultimate democracy because it extends the franchise to generations past and benefits from their hard-earned wisdom.” RIP sweet prince of reason, he will be sorely missed.