Gaza, Liberals, and Moral Equivalence

An Israeli soldier splashes water on his face as he stands atop  a tank outside the northern Gaza Strip

A big majority of Americans say Israel is justified in its response to Hamas, but a CNN/ORC poll shows revealing ideological differences in attitudes toward the Middle East.

Among Republicans, 73% stand with Israel, and among Independents that support remains strong at 56%. But among Democrats, only a minority – 45% – feels the Jewish state is justified in its military response in Gaza to stop rocket attacks and terror tunnels.

This attitude indicates that liberals have not only lost touch with public opinion but they’ve disconnected from reality. If Dems withhold their high-minded approval to a measured, targeted mission to prevent rocket assaults and to block kidnapping missions through the terror tunnels, then what Israeli response would they accept and recommend? Do they expect the Jewish state to absorb countless missile attacks without complaint, and to accept terrorist invasion of their towns and farms, in order to impress the enlightened souls of the international community with their moral superiority? At what point would Democrats deem a military reaction appropriate? After 1,000 rocket attacks? Or 5,000?

This is insanity, of course. Across the spectrum, Americans who back Israel outnumber those who don’t by nearly two-to-one (60-34%) but the reaction of demented Democrats reflects the leftist embrace of moral equivalence- their rejection of clear distinctions between right and wrong. Liberals love to prance and preen, advertising their own above-the-fray arrogance by citing imperfection on all sides. But there’s a difference between imperfection and painful mistakes in the fog of battle, and deliberate evil and blood lust.

Fortunately, conservatives feel far more comfortable with moral absolutes, and so rally to the support of Israel in this hour of need. Yes, sometimes distinctions are obvious between right and wrong, while some conflicts do come down to a struggle behind good and evil. American Jews, who fatuously gave 70% and more of their support to Barack Obama in both his presidential races, should keep this contrast in mind on the next Election Day.

Those tender souls who believe that the two sides share joint responsibility for the civilian casualties must meanwhile confront two questions.

First, what could Hamas do to stop the violence immediately? The answer should be obvious: If they halted their rocket attacks, and cooperated with destroying or incapacitating the terror tunnels into Israel, this brutal war would end quickly. Israel has already accepted two cease fires, one sponsored by Egypt and the Arab League, the other by the UN. Hamas rejected both offers.

Which raises the second question: what must Israel do, considering the Hamas intransigence, to bring the killing to an end?

For those who criticize current Israeli policies, what plan of action would advance the cause of peace more effectively? If Israel rewarded Hamas with some face-saving concession for the war the terrorists started, it would only encourage more wars-of-choice by the Gaza gang. If the world accedes to their demands because Hamas unleashed an orgy of deliberate destruction, that makes violent outbursts all the more likely in the future.

Rula Jabreal on MSNBC and other public apologists for murderous jihad claim that American media tilt overwhelmingly toward Israel. But the only positive treatment of the embattled Jewish state stems from its ability to describe war aims while no one on the other side will explain the aims of Hamas. Instead of explaining why Gaza thugs opted to launch a major war, Hamas sympathizers cite meaningless and false clichés about the way that pressure on any population necessarily generates violence and hatred. Yes, 100 rocket attacks a day may express such hatred but it has no purpose whatever other than satisfying the bloodlust of crazed killers and fanatics.

In this contest, the distinction between the two sides isn’t fuzzy, difficult or obscure. Israel is fighting to put an end to violence; Hamas is fighting to perpetuate and intensify terror aimed at random civilian targets. If Hamas disarms, there’s a chance that brutality would give way to some form of wary coexistence. If Israel disarms, it’s obvious that her residents would bear the brunt of increased attacks and looming disaster.

The moral contrast remains so clear that only the most stubborn and blinded relativist could refuse to acknowledge it. One war aim is admirable. The other is evil.

It shouldn’t be difficult for any individual or organization to decide which of the two sides deserves passionate support.

This column originally appeared at TruthRevolt.org on July 24, 2014.

1. Jerry F.  •  Jul 31, 2014 at 9:07 am

This article hits it right on the head. They (Dems, Lib, all the same) use the moral equivalency argument to avoid having to define something as evil. If they make it gray, they then don’t have to confront it.

• HRS  •  Aug 1, 2014 at 6:06 pm

well, here we go again, the Israelis agreed to a cease-fire and got burned again. with that stoppage, they lost the momentum of the war. if they do not win this time, then it will be the last time they will have the upper hand again.

2. Sali  •  Aug 2, 2014 at 3:24 am

Mr. Michael
    In you last Liberal & Democrat Article, I invite you for an honest debate and you never responded me.
    Let’s try one more time in this Article. I have here a gathering of my friends from different cultural background and they want to see our honest debate. I have here my wonderful friends Hindus, Muslims, Christians and today one of my very beautiful and lovely Jewish sister also – if any Mullah will look at her I will take out his eyes – they all are my lovely and wonderful friends. They all want to see our debate here. Hopefully you will reply this time.

This Article: Gaza, Liberals, and Moral Equivalence written by you have only 20% truth in it as usual and 80% are fabricated and twisting of 20% truth. This is a repetition of the same old same old. Just like Product Advertisement. Repetition works doesn’t it? This is how you purchase the product?

Let me say one thing again to clarify. I am from India, I have Hindu relatives, I have Muslims relative and Christian relatives mixed in my family. My religious study says that believers of Moses are my brothers and sisters, believers of Jesus are my brothers and sisters just like my Muslim brothers and sisters. To be honest with you, no I don’ want to see my Jewish or Christian brothers and sisters hurts and suffer like those my innocent Muslims brothers and sisters in Gaza, just because of few Tyrants who want power and land.

Mr. Michael, Militant Islam has become a weapon and has been used for centuries to get power, land and money. This is not new anymore. As I mentioned in my previous note, that “Fabricated MULLAHS ARE MADE IN BRITAIN” – I can give you many examples that this weapon called “Militant Islam” has been used for political reasoning in many international conflicts and crises like this one in Gaza.

The biggest and famous example I gave you about “Ayat-ullah Komeini” of Iran – he was staged in the West and used by Britain to topple Shah of Iran. This kind of fabricated Mullahs made by Britain was infiltrated and injected by Britain from North Africa all the way to Indian Sub-Continent to topple many Islamic regimes and to create chaos all over the Muslim World. The latest one was 911 – this one has opened eyes to my friends and families in the Western World as well. Now my western world brothers and sisters also started to believe that this “Militant Islam” is a weapon and how it has been used for centuries and now it is using in this Gaza conflict also. Militant Islam has not only used by many western world also including Israel and Elite Arabs as well.

Again, your this Article is nothing but a repetition of the same old same old. Just like Product Advertisement. Repetition works doesn’t it? This is how you purchase the product? This is how you want people to convince your fabrications using Militant Islam over and over again.

Will continue after your response

• Mark  •  Aug 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Dear Sali,

Can you please clarify your comments? Are you saying that the British government is using militant Islam to send rockets form Gaza to Israel? Or are you saying that “Elite Arabs” are using militant Islam to send rockets form Gaza to Israel? Or both, or are you saying something different?

I do think you are saying that we are all brothers and sisters around the world regardless of our differing religions, which I would also agree with.

Regards,
      Mark

• Sali  •  Aug 5, 2014 at 1:38 am

Hello Mark
        Let me clarify this statement:
        “Talk show Radio Station are nothing but a scam aimed to destroy a person’s convictions and believes and replacing them with an alternate set of fixed beliefs of your own indoctrination.”

In above statement I’m referencing Talk shows on Politics and Religion, popped up everywhere after 911. Main motives and objective of these shows are nothing but to destroy and manipulate a public or a society or a person’s believes and convictions and to replace or changed them with an alternate set of fixed beliefs and indoctrination of a particular party Agenda or the TALKSHOW HOSTS own personal believes, convictions and thought process.

In this context it is nothing but a mean to spread SCAM or process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a methodology to propagate a pre-set of belief of a Political Party or certain Group of people or Host own personal believes and conviction without questioning.

Let me give you an example – what I’m writing over here, if I will call Medved show and talk about this over the phone, Michael will cut me off and he will start his own indoctrination on it and about GAZA, he will start the same puppet show same old statement “HAMAS ROCKETS”.

Now I’m not favoring HAMAS at all – both parties are using “MILITANT ISLAM” to kill innocent people. One side having less casualties than other, but both are on the same boat and both are committing TERRORISM in the name of MILITANT ISLAM, there is no difference between them. Only difference is Israel has killed so many innocent Palestinians that if HAMAS will keep on firing rockets for next 20 year they will not be able to kill that many Israeli innocent people. Israel blame that HAMAS do not care about his own people, OK with the same token if only one Israeli is killed against 100 Palestinians does this mean Israel do the same? They will continue doing the same like HAMAS?. Who do you call terrorist? Both are in the same boat – both are killing innocent civilians in the name of MILITANT ISLAM.

Mark, if you ask me and to be honest with you – I want Israel to have whole GAZA, this is the only country these people have and their population is growing – I want Israel to take over GAZA. There are many Arab countries and they should take and welcome rest of the Palestinians and Israel should also absorb some Palestinians. Followers of these 3 divine religions (Jewish, Christian and Muslim) should live like a brothers and sisters. I want to see peace in that part of the world. Too many innocent people has died and suffered, doesn’t matter the casualties is less for Israel, still innocent citizens are killed there too they are human – this violence should end and all Muslim world should accept JEWISH STATE. In return I want JERUSLAM a COMMON CITY of the World for JEWISH, CHRISTIAN AND FOR MUSLIM, and it should run by United Nation. We all should respect each other. This violence should stop. Hamas do not represent whole PALISTANIANS; there are many Palestinians leaders, Israel should sit and talk with them and should stop HAMAS same old puppet statement and find a common goal for this ISSUE.

• Sophie  •  Aug 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Sali – if Mr Medved does not engage in your “debate” it will probably for three reasons.

1. A comment forum is very difficult as the threads get jumbled and it is rarely discourse. You’ll notice I posted twice because I forgot to Reply to your comment specifically. Even I, and experienced commenter messes up.

2. You said that you don’t call radio shows because, “To be honest with you, I do not like to call talk show hosts Radio Stations, because shows like yours are nothing but a scam aimed to destroy a person’s convictions and believes and replacing them with an alternate set of fixed beliefs of your own indoctrination.”

If you feel his show is a scam, that is hardly a set up for him to want to talk to you. Slamming his chosen occupation is already a position of disrespect.

3. It may be a policy, because this IS a poor forum for debate, not to engage here.

You and your friends may want to look elsewhere. Just because you want to debate here doesn’t mean it’s the right place for it.

Respectfully – I have been reading, watching documentaries and trying to get to the crux of the matter. I am here to see what another opinion might be so I can process. Gather information and then see what you’re opinion might be. I have problems with Mr. Medved’s position, but hardly need to prove it to him.

• Carolyn Acheson  •  Aug 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

If you take this many words to justify your position, forget it.

3. James  •  Aug 2, 2014 at 11:53 am

Liberals are heavily invested in the UN, which condemns Israel, so they are going to have or come up with a negative view of Israel as long as the UN condemns Israel. While the conservative and independent positions are more realistic and make more sense; their view still requires Israel to be defended – the best position would be for the UN to stop condemning Israel, in which case Israel would not need to be defended – you may say this is no longer possible or extremely unlikely, and I can’t really blame you for thinking so, but it may not be so hard as it looks. If you would give the other nations of the UN something worthwhile in exchange for ending condemnations of Israel for good, then I believe it could happen. The most obvious thing that comes to mind to exchange for ending condemnations of Israel is a strict construction of the UN charter, but other things can be entertained as well.

4. Sophie  •  Aug 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm

1. a comment forum is very difficult as the threads get jumbled and it is rarely discourse.

5. John D. Fiat  •  Aug 4, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Morals? These scumbags killed four Palestinian boys for merely existing as they played football on the beach. Why are we funding these warmongers especially in light of the Lavon Affair and USS Liberty Attack? If the Sheeple only knew what I do, we’d rid the earth of the Zionist regime. They play Satanic games (Kabbalah) with Satanic instruments (the Talisman) and worship Satanic symbols (the Hexagram) for crying out loud. Please, wake up! What more do you retards need?

Hear what Michael has to say about Health Markets