GOP Can’t Win by Exaggerating Misery

Apocalyptic ruins of the city. Disaster effect.

Americans feel frustrated by the state of our government, economy and culture, but conservatives can’t gain ground by exaggerating the extent of the misery.

It’s ill-advised to ask African-Americans, “What do you have to lose?”—thereby ignoring dramatic black progress over the last two generations. The poverty rate’s still higher for people of color, but three-quarters of African-America now count as middle-class or above.

Similarly, white people without college degrees may have been specially targeted by Republicans, but they’re hardly the oppressed losers of media legend. One-third of the overall electorate is white and without a university diploma. A majority of them say their living standard is higher than their parents and a full 80 percent say they do at least as well.

It’s good news that so many Americans of all races seem to embrace the conservative mantra that proudly proclaims: “I am not a victim.”

1. Henry  •  Sep 1, 2016 at 5:36 pm

More of the same nonsense we’ve heard on Michael’s radio show for the past two weeks. It’s criticism of Trump no matter what. Michael, the primary reason for lower crime rates is Republican Rudolph Giuliani’s reforms in NY and then adopted elsewhere. Moreover, EVERY generation FEELS itself better off than its parents (those old fogies)!

Michael, at this point why not just be honest and admit you prefer Hillary over Trump? Posit your superior wisdom to that of your friend Dennis Prager. Isn’t he such a fool to think Hillary’s entourage and ideology would be worse for the nation than would be Trump’s. Quit the charade. Either start blasting Hillary as much as you blast Trump (which ought to be a very easy thing to do) or just admit you are “with her.” (My God, just typing that last line makes me sick to my stomach. What a thought. What a thought. “With her”!!! … God help us all.)

• Jim Bird  •  Sep 1, 2016 at 6:09 pm

I was going to say the same thing, but your eloquence is far better than mine could ever be – beautifully stated Henry. Michael, what are you trying to prove!? I don't get your point? Whether I listen once every three weeks now, which takes 3 minutes max for the bashing of Trump to start, or to check out these columns, which the "comment" sections appear to be very sparse now, do you honestly believe that Hillary, with her proven record of corruption, deceit, death and destruction, is better than Trump with zeros in these departments on his resume. Your actions/thinking, to my point of view, are completely jaw-dropping and bizarre to say the very least.

• Henry  •  Sep 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Jim, this is at least as eloquent as mine! What regular listener is not in total shock and disgust at the turn Michael has taken? Just because Trump is unpolished in campaigning!? … This election is literally a choice between being “with” the United States, its ideology, its citizens, its world role, its best hope for humanity, … yes, its exceptionalism (sure Trump doesn’t understand its meaning, but that doesn’t validate Hillary’s suddenly new found appreciation of it! — gosh I want to scream!), … or “with” Hillary Clinton, her incompetence, her corruption, her accumulation of massive personal wealth, her “What difference does it make?”, her “Bleach Bit” imitation of Nixon’s 18 minutes. … Those are the choices. If those are not the choices, how in heaven’s name are they not? What am I, … what is Dennis Prager, … what is Jim missing here? Michael, have you lost your mind?

• Donna  •  Sep 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm

I completely agree! I'm for Trump and my family and Christian friends! We also are college educated!

2. Harlan  •  Sep 2, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Interesting, we limit our thinking to a corrupt, pathological liar or a narcissistic, lunatic. Isn’t there a 2 term experienced governor also running, ummm now why would we consider that option?

3. Fred  •  Sep 2, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Love your show, and how you are able to talk politics and culture issues with angry callers in respectful dialogue. Right on! I would great difficulty. Trust me.

Your absolutely right that we will have a bad time if we can't come up with positive messages. It does appear to me however that mean mister Mustard Democrates use negative messages almost exclusively, and to powerful effect. The truth is too often ugly but needs to be said; hate it but there it is. This election is hurting America.
    I don't know what to say. God bless us everyone? Have mercy?

4. June Field  •  Sep 2, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Michael, I no longer listen to your broadcast. I well remember the day you single-handedly ruined Mike Huckabee's run in 2008 by leading him DELIBERATELY down the path regarding unwed black mothers. He went in to his philosophy about it and LOST!! Do not deny. I heard you and shrieked in my car that you had ruined his campaign. If he speaks to you today, he is a bigger person than you. Would you like to defend this in your torturous dodging language? He was, I believe, your favorite candidate at the time. Listening to you, there is little doubt as to whom you back and those you do not. June Field

5. John  •  Sep 6, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I listen only occasionally because of your condemnation of Trump