A GOP Civil War: Who Benefits?

gop civil war

By Michael Medved & John Podhoretz

If the Republican Party descends into civil war over the next two years, a luncheon in October of this year will count as its Fort Sumter. On the second day of the wildly controversial government shutdown, GOP senators gathered for a private midday meal to discuss their next steps. Kelly Ayotte, elected by New Hampshire voters in 2010 as a Tea Party darling, stood up and walked toward her Texas colleague Ted Cruz. She was waving the printout of a mass email sent by the Senate Conservatives Fund (SCF), a group closely identified with Cruz. The email harshly denounced 25 GOP “traitors” who “betrayed their principles.”…. Read the rest of the column at CommentaryMagazine.com.

1. Liz Collette  •  Dec 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

Mr. Medved, you are basically the only voice of reason left in the Republican Party. I just read your article “A GOP Civil War, Who Benefits” and agree with a lot of what you have to say. This is coming from a life-long Democrat, who realizes that there are many problems in the Democratic political arena, and who might have been moved to vote for conservative candidates, and who has in the past, but who cannot and will never vote for Republican again in the near future because of so many of the party’s skewed, ridiculous views. Just a few include:
    Their rabid anti-abortion, stance. While never faced with the choice myself and not sure what I would do, I refuse to take away the choice of someone else and the thought that a group of men have been recently making up rules that include vaginal probes, the infamous “legitimate rape”, etc. makes my skin crawl. A part of this is also their refusal to endorse increased sex education and contraceptive benefits that would help stem the need for abortions.
    Their continuing fight to integrate religion into political discourse. Your religion is personal and has absolutely nothing to do with the government.
    Their resolute fight against gay marriage.
    Their hard line international political stances that have led to too many wars that are impossible to win.
    Their lock step opposition to everything that the President or the Democrats propose.
    Their corporate over people attitude
    Their push for voter ID that disenfranchises minorities.
    Their refusal to back any form of gun reform, to be honest I own numerous guns and enjoy target shooting, I have a summer home in Wisconsin where hunting is a way of life, but the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre and Jim Porter make my skin crawl. I never respected a man more than when President Obama personally met with the families of the children killed in the Newtown Massacre, that took more courage and compassion than I can imagine.
    More recently, the way many conservative’s have tried to blackball Nelson Mandela after his death.
    Finally, the utter stupidity of so many of their representatives, Todd Akin, Rick Santorum, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Christine O’Donnell, Herman Caine, Allen West, Rick Perry. Although he’s obviously very intelligent, and someone I could have possibly voted for Mitt Romney and his ridiculous 47% comment, and the fact that he had to adhere to some of the ridiculous tea party beliefs turned me off as a voter.

I live in Illinois and I voted for Mark Kirk for Senator, because I thought he was the better candidate. Today, I don’t know if I could make the same choice because he is part of the crazy Republican Party.

Liz Collette

2. jguy  •  Dec 11, 2013 at 6:24 am

Great article. Thank you. It appears to me that the Democrats will have an easy go
    in the next couple of election cycles due to Republican tea sipping. The only Republican
    I would still vote for is John McCain who while attacked as a presidential candidate by
    el rushbo for being too old…..appears to be currently in better physical shape than
    most of the younger people I see including the attacker. When perceived Republican
    opinion leaders, like the aforementioned, attack moderates in the Republican party it
    is a gift to the Democrats. The insane attacks on the flawed affordable care act by
    DOCTORS who are also in government…like DR Paul….are so transparent that they
    are also a gift to the Democrats. IT is evident that many doctors would be against
    such an act that potentially dilutes their control over health care….were I a doctor I would
    join them…..but in the end many will see a repaired obamacare as a plus and
    the democrats will beat the teaparty over the head with the results in the aftermath.
    One persons perspective. Thanks for the forum – michael. Your are the only talk show
    person with logical perspective though I obviously dont agree with much of your opinion
    I thank you for your needed intellect.

3. tom  •  Dec 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

Wow Medved what a complete one sided article. Based on your article all the blame falls to the tea party none of it to the incumbent politicians…really???

Last time it i checked it takes two to create a problem.

Maybe conservatives are tired of incumbent republicans who once they get to Washington forget their values. Medved go read the book, “This Town: Two Parties and a Funeral-Plus, Plenty of Valet Parking!-in America’s Gilded Capital” by Mark Leibovich.

I am sick and tired of Republicans who do nothing. Mitch MCConnell and John Boehner give lip service to conservatives ideas but do nothing about to support a conservative agenda.

How about Boehner comments about folks that do not like the Ryan Budget bill. Do you really think that is helpful? This guy cares little for the folks he is supposed to represent.

In addition, Boehner has been purging conservative voices from key committees; however, you make no mention of that in your slanted article.

By the way where exactly do you think the republican party would be without the Conservatives and the Tea Party?

Did Boeher or McConnell hire you or promise an interview if you wrote this article? I listen to your show and you typically try understand the issues and the other’s viewpoint. Here you seem to be just working for inside the beltway politicians.

4. Mark  •  Dec 22, 2013 at 9:53 am

Democratic herd mentality made me lose respect for democracy. Democracy don’t work when the bum-rush bum is more organized than the worker.
    Its cry baby Boehner that is making the republicans look like poll dancers. He’s not leading. Ryan lead with trying to cut spending and Cruz lead to cut government. “The press” is leading Boehner around by the nose. He quacks a good quack but I have no idea where he is going.

5. Lloyd Miller  •  Dec 29, 2013 at 1:19 am

Ok, I got it! The Zionist Republicans Medved of Pohoretz rally around Obama so he’ll have Israel’s back re: Iran? Good luck wth that! Obama won’t be happy until Israel is smoking ruins!

• jguy  •  Dec 31, 2013 at 3:18 am

I have heard President Obama state that he is FOR Israel and favorable
      in their existence as our ally in the middle east. I dont see how this
      becomes “smoking ruins”. It amazes me how President Obama is continually
      attacked if he takes actions that are not PRO some concrete policy.
      If he is for elements of the Dream act…he is suddenly Pro open border….
      If he is for expanded gay liberties because they are for “every” american
      he is suddenly a gay activist….if he reduces sanctions against Iran he
      suddenly wants Israel destroyed…..Its like people who are not pro Obama
      only see the worst possible scenerio on any minor move he makes…It appears

to me that many times he makes concessions to move along processes that
      really dont have the most negative outcome as the ONLY solution. IE i
      dont think you will see Israel in “smoking ruins”