Government Waste, Soaked in Soda

A new Department of Agriculture report offers shocking revelations about food stamp recipients – those 45 million Americans enrolled in Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, or SNAP. It turns out they spend more of their government money on sugary soda drinks than on any other food group – wasting a much higher percentage of their food budgets on unhealthy soda than those who buy their own food.

This helps account for higher rates of obesity and diabetes among food stamp recipients, and lends support to policy experts who want to stop beneficiaries from wasting taxpayer money on food choices that are especially harmful for children.

Despite Michelle Obama’s advocacy for healthy eating, the Obama administration blocked all attempts to impose such restrictions, but Trump advisors say they’ll welcome them – to improve public health while reducing government waste. We currently spend a staggering $74 billion a year – 5 times the total foreign aid budget! – on Food Stamps alone.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

1. Annette  •  Jan 24, 2017 at 3:36 pm

My daughter-in-law is from China. Before she was a US citizen, she got her driver's license in Washington State. She was offered the opportunity to register to vote, which she declined. But she was told at the DMV that they didn't request proof of citizenship. So, I'm not sure how you can be so certain that there isn't millions of ineligible voters, voting in the Presidential election.

2. Annette  •  Jan 24, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Sorry, I was looking for a way to email you. Not to post on the above subject.

3. Susan  •  Feb 3, 2017 at 11:47 am

My very liberal sister-in-law cringes when she is in the check out line at the grocery store. She says " I buy stew meat and hamburger but the food stamp recipients are buying steak and shrimp".

4. Douglas Knight  •  Feb 5, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Years ago, I was "the working poor"- at the grocery store, the woman in front of me with 2 baskets/carts full of items I couldn't afford. Yup, paid for with food stamps, then outside to my cheap Dodge ($2800 new), while she piled into an Olds Vista Cruiser costing nearly 4 times what my car cost.

5. Ty  •  Feb 8, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Your anecdotes reinforce my view of conservatives, some of the most bitter and resentful people on this earth. A hundred positive results can come from a program, but all of your attention and animus will focus and laser in on the supposed cheats, the people who have more than you in some other sphere (maybe, those higher cost cars could be part of a family that lives together). Why do you care so much what other people spend their benefits on? This is why I want a universal basic income, forget trying to micromanage where redistribution goes, everyone gets it, even the bitter resentful conservatives. And if YOU choose to spend that extra income on beef instead of steak, then you have more money in your pocket for other things. Stop worrying about everyone else.

• Jim Howard  •  Feb 11, 2017 at 1:47 pm

This sounds very much like socialism to me ("universal basic income"). Why is it that conservatives are criticized for questioning a "few" stamp food cheats, whereas liberals can point out one bad situation with a police officer and ascribe that to the entire police population?

• Ty  •  Feb 12, 2017 at 1:17 am

It's a consistent theme. The black welfare queen stepping out of her cadillac escalade to by steak from the grocery store is the avatar of all that is vile and wrong with government redistribution. It is an obsession with who does and does not deserve help and assistance. I have heard this kind of talk and concern repeatedly on various forums, I am well acquainted with conservative media on the radio and in comment sections, I know you they think.

And I have no problem with police, I'm quite unsympathetic to the black lives matter movement.

6. mike  •  Feb 21, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I care because…i paid for the food stamps and i am paying for the subsidized healthcare

it chaps my backside that the food stamp recipients – my taxes at work – buy more expensive food than my budget allows I and/or junk food which will increase the tax liability associated with subsidized healthcare costs for obesity, diabetes, etc.

I am not getting a good value for my tax dollars. in fact, i am being taken advantage of, and i don't like it. i would not do that to others, so why do they do it to me. because we let them, let's take back control of our tax dollars. no food stamps for junk food!