McCain’s Memory Should Make GOP Proud

Diane and I visit his Senate office five years ago, talking about his history reading list.

The passing of Senator John McCain reminded me of why I feel proud to be a Republican. Beginning in 1980, the GOP fielded nine presidential nominees, each of whom displayed exemplary patriotism and fundamental decency.

Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush both ran for president three times, and Bob Dole, George W. Bush, John McCain and Mitt Romney campaigned for the White House two times each. Win or lose, these candidates won respect—even affection—from those who opposed them as well as from supporters.

Despite many disagreements over policy, the bi-partisan praise for Senator McCain for noble service to his country reflects his noble character. May the current incumbent work to earn the same sort of honor and admiration for his conduct in the presidency, and may the Republican Party continue to exemplify the principled tradition of “character counts.”

1. Ty  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 2:53 pm

It should and it will, but not to all or perhaps even a plurality of republicans. Many of them HATE McCain and despise what he stood for, and I welcome their hatreds of both him and me.

Who your enemies are, tells a lot about you, and here are who some of McCains enemies on his own side.

During the vote to repeal and NOT replace, he voted no.

This enraged many conservatives, who were all too HAPPY to slash and burn the limited protections and expansion of aide obamacare provided without some credible replacement that would go into effect automatically, and he went against that wanton recklessness. And you conservatives HATED Him for it. Now Obamacare is more popular than ever, with all its flaws, turns out when a republican is in power, you don't mind the policy, you just want one of YOUR guys and your kind in power to validate your sense of control and well being as some dominant force. Weak little people, but there is so much more.

• Ty need help  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Glad to hear you voted for McCain in 2008. Being such a "great" man, how could you not?

• Rizzo  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 9:25 am

NOBODY hated McCain for what he stood for.
      Conservatives were always frustrated with him for what he didn’t stand for. McCain seemed to lack any guiding principles. No matter what the issue at hand was, it was anybody’s guess how McCain would stand. McCain was a war-hero, no doubt. However, it doesn’t give him Carte Blanch to say or do whatever he wants without criticism.
      He earned the title, “Maverick”, but to me, he was an unprincipled, common politician.
      RIP John McCain.

2. Ty  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 2:55 pm

This is a great clip of McCain taking the mic away from a woman who clearly had a diet of too much crazed talk radio and right wing conspiracies and fear mongering.

I don't trust him… He's an ARAB !!! A Muslim !!!!!!

And McCain snatched the mic away from the crazy and set the record straight. Whatever McCain was, he was NOT of the cesspool conservative media helps generates.

3. Ty  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 3:00 pm

And finally, one of my favorite clips of all, from way back in 2008, McCain gives a very Michael Medved like blurb on a moderate immigration reform package and policy goal set.

The crowd was not pleased.

Why were they so agitated? Why were they so enraged? Because a large chunk of them were part of the us vs them nativist right, would would be ALL TOO HAPPY to deport some soldiers mother, because to them she is TRASH, refuse, not a human being with value in this world, NOTHING but a parasite to be discarded. THAT is the nativist impulse down to their rotten filthy little souls, and McCain was clearly NOT one of them, and he is to be respected for that. I bookmarked that clip because it was such a clear sign of why I had so much more respect for McCain than so many other people on the right.

And he was the last republican I voted for in 2008, likely another indictment of his worth to the conservative peanut gallery here, but there it is.

Michael, your base hates McCain, and much of it comes from a deep rot inside your movement and party.

• Nani Tavares  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Ty, you do realize that there are millions of people waiting to immigrate to our country; millions of their children dreaming of being educated, serving in our military, becoming doctors, opening shops, living the dream? Their space has been taken by those who have zero respect for our laws and who have CUT IN LINE as though they are entitled. This is ok with you? Spin it anyway you want. Illegal aliens have cut in line and robbed others of attaining their dreams. This is wrong and unfair on so many levels.

As for McCain. he was not a Republican (thus a Republican In Name Only). Nor do I believe he was a conservative. He was an Independent as I am and I did support him in 2008. But I have learned to be wary of him because while I applauded his refusal to tow the party line (as I do anyone), I felt he never got that the Left was really at war with America. Not the right, or conservatives, but America as a whole. That the Left doesn't particularly like this country at all. You cannot defend something unless you understand that you are being attacked. In his desire to bring this country together, he failed to see how her legs were being cut off by the Media, Entertainment, and Academia. I am sorry for the McCain family lost, of course. But his passing (and his powerful torch being passed) may be what America needs right now.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 10:41 pm

Uh-oh Ty…
      Trump at 36 percent approval among African-Americans, new poll finds.
      #walkaway

4. Harvey Homan  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 7:34 pm

You never want to speak ill of the dead, but I think McCain was a more a war survivor than a war hero. As a politician he stands as a good argument for term limits. All that baloney about him speaking truth to power. McCain gladly accepted donations from Trump in 2008, but when President Trump needed his support to get rid of Obama Care, he had this big crisis of conscience. I thought he was a RHINO and a phoney.

• Ty  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 9:03 pm

The heroism was in his choice to not take the offer to be let free before the rest of the US captives in Vietnam. The reason the offer was given was that since McCain was the son of a high ranking officer in the military, it would be a propaganda victory against the US, well connected elites get special treatment and abandons the guys not so well connected.

This was was of those increasingly rare examples when a conservative elite, who could have used his position for SPECIAL treatment said no. I am NOT special. The other men serving with me as just as deserving as me myself and I, no special treatment for me because of who my father is.

And he suffered for that choice, but the Vietnamese were denied one propaganda victory because of it.

• tyy needs God and then inpatient psych treatment  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 11:39 pm

It is funny how up above you were so happy that McCain took the microphone away from a woman who called Obama a Muslim and an Arab that she didn't trust, and yet those statements are factually far more accurate than your wildly dishonest caricatures of conservatives and republicans. I wonder, would you cheer if somebody took your keyboard away? The world would be a much better place if you weren't spewing your irrational and factually-inaccurate hate.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 9:28 am

WOW! Excellent point!
        Kudos to you!

• Ty  •  Aug 29, 2018 at 5:22 pm

My characterizations of conservatives and republicans are spot on, they shine a light on large swaths of your movement, that you do not like what I am highlighting but more angry at the person showing where the bile is truly located says so much about how rotten the movement has become.

Got to stick together I suppose, we on the left are some mark of the beast class cancer that will destroy the nation by supporting universal healthcare so people who can't afford insulin meds are not left to die. Jesus would so be against our efforts and champion you vicious conservatives who cheer on a system and do NOTHING to change it that allows such injustices to occur.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 29, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Ty, you’re pathetic…. someone take his mic. away.

If someone is dying from diabetes, because they can’t get their insulin, they are actually dying from stupidity.
        There are literally endless ways to get affordable and many times free meds, if you meet financial specifications.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 31, 2018 at 9:03 am

Ty
        Your worldview completely inacurate and woefully childish.
        "You are right to be mad at liberals and the left, we are better examples of what you say you are for."
        How much of your time, money, blood, sweat and tears have you donated to the poor?
        You are ONLY for "helping" the poor, if you able to convince the government to steal money from others… preferably the "rich", but really anyone other than yourself, to give to give to the "poor".
        You, personally, do NOTHING to help the "poor".
        Just like a TRUE LEFTIST, you wait for government to do something for you.
        Pathetic!

• Rizzo  •  Aug 31, 2018 at 5:29 pm

“people who can't afford insulin meds are not left to die.”

So, how will importing millions of poor, illegal aliens, help that guy?
        Do you suppose that might hurt poor AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Hmmmmmmm?
        You leftists care so much.

5. Stve  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 4:05 pm

McCain was a phony, and due to his 'wet start' of a plane on the USS Forestall 134 men were killed.

Trump was and is right

Daylight is the best disinfectant

6. armand  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 11:56 pm

John McCain was a Saudi/bankster owned scumbag. McCain has always opposed the federal licensing and free movement of physicians and the hospitals. McCain was always against the flat tax and while praising Saudis like “prince Bandar” was at odds with counties outside the “global” banking system Russia, China, switzerland, etc
    McCain also supported government owned, crypto socialist property acquisitions in AZ(Saudi govt owned alfalfa farms that exclusively exported the water consuming grass to sand monkey land)

7. perry  •  Sep 1, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Who is the Democrat "maverick" that should be celebrated? Who, on the national stage, does the media look for among the Democrats to vote against their initiatives? Which Democrat has a celebrated conscience that will not allow them to vote with the rest to the detriment of Democrat legislation?

8. Donna Kaiyala Carlaw  •  Sep 2, 2018 at 10:54 am

Michael, you convinced me that it was good to support McCain. You convinced me that Sarah Palin was a good choice for a running mate. I voted for him. He might have been a good president. We will never know.

McCain's funeral was an opportunity to help unite the country, to heal wounds. Too bad he specifically excluded our POTUS. Too bad Sarah Palin was excluded. I kind of get the Trump exclusion, but Palin? She was one of his most loyal defenders. She didn't deserve that.

I blame it on his brain tumor. RIP, John McCain. John, you were almost a great role model for Americans. No one is perfect. Be at peace.

This politicized spectacle of a funeral was not a proud moment for the GOP. When McCain's running mate and even his campaign manager & others were specifically excluded, and the GOP was fine with that, then I don't know what to say. It made me cry. I do not feel welcome in a party like that. Yeah, I will still vote Republican. There is no other alternative.

Here are GOP values I am waiting to see. :

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations. 4

9. Ty the Savior  •  Sep 3, 2018 at 1:49 pm

For this post, I will cast off my typical antagonism to American conservatism to try to bring a sliver of your wretched states back to the light.

I offer you a reprieve from the talk radio bubble, not a talk by me, but of a non American conservative from the UK. Go microwave some popcorn, it won't take too long, and see if we can't wear down that can't do attitude of American conservatism.

10. Nani Tavares  •  Sep 4, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Several things about the McCain funeral bothered me.

1- Why so lavish and seemingly never ending funeral? I live in a state where our senator served so long, the chairs in Congress have his butts' imprints! He was a member of the most highly decorated unit in WW2, awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, and even lost an arm during the conflict. Yet, his death barely got a mention on national news. Can anyone explain why McCain got a funeral that the UK probably won't give the Queen?

2- Much time was spent bashing Trump; it was weird as aren't funerals supposed to be praising the dead instead of harping on the living? It, to be honest, kind of marginalized McCain as though even dying, he wasn't as important as Trump.

3- McCain actually had an "invite" list. Honestly, who thinks that so many people will want to come to pay their final respects that the funeral has to be limited to a list? I suppose if he had not, the funeral would have been more than 8 days?

4- Why didn't he invite Palin? She was his running mate and had always supported him. I am sorry but that makes him look petty, vindictive or thoughtless.

5- How much did this cost and who footed the bill? What kind of conservative plans for a funeral that cost so much?