Mysteries in the Mourning for John McCain

Senator John McCain lies in state in the Capitol Rotunda, in Washington, DC on Friday, August 31, 2018. Ken Cedeno/POOL Via REUTERS

How is it that the respect and affection for the late Senator John McCain seemed so overwhelming after his recent death, but in two energetic presidential campaigns he could never get a majority to vote for him? And what were the great accomplishments from McCain that admirers across the country were celebrating?

His most famous legislation—the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform—was a misguided disaster that hardly reduced the power of money in politics.

The truth is, Americans came to love McCain for who he was, not what he did. He demonstrated boundless love of country, dedication to duty and reverence for the Senate and the military. McCain’s example shows character can matter more than a list of accomplishments.

The deeper meaning in all the tributes to Senator McCain ​is a great reminder that character counts.

1. Nani Tavares  •  Sep 4, 2018 at 5:10 pm

I disagree. I believe that this was another method of bashing Trump. How utterly sad. Even in death, McCain had to yield the talk to Trump. If he had been a Trump supporter, he would have had a private ceremony. No AF carrying of his coffin, no wall to wall coverage for 8 days, no speeches of comparison.

• Jim Bird  •  Sep 5, 2018 at 9:05 am

Nani,

I could not agree more! The Left politicized this for more than a week and now are on Jerry Springer watch with the Kavanaugh hearings. John McCain is a good man but his cantankerous pro-Obamacare attitude that has we US taxpayers at least $30 trillion and counting in debt is unforgivable.

• Alan Reed  •  Sep 6, 2018 at 5:50 pm

I agree 100% it was all about bashing Trump. I was tired of hearing how he was a man of integrity? Really, when he ran the last time for Senator one of his platform items was getting rid of the ACA. Hmm when he learned he could get his face on TV and be a media darling we get a thumbs down! Also there were a lot heroes from Vietnam and we will never know their names. They also didn't go onto live off the public dole the rest of their lives.

2. stop the exaggeration  •  Sep 5, 2018 at 8:38 pm

This is just another example of people making a saint out of a person who has died by completely exaggerating the positives and ignoring the negatives. McCain was alright. I don't think he stands out among republican Senators as much better than the average. I always felt like his actions as a politician were more self-serving than anything else. I agree with the sentiment above that most of the love for McCain that was on display at his funeral was related to McCain not liking Trump. And I don't know whose decision it was to say that Trump and Palin were not allowed to attend the funeral, but if it was John McCain, his actions contradict the praise he has been given.

3. stop the exaggeration  •  Sep 5, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I keep asking myself why Medved is making such a saint out of John McCain. And then I remember that Medved promoted Corey Booker on his show, likes Jennifer Rubin, and is very good friends with Lanny Davis. All of that is enough to completely destroy Medved's credibility as far as judgment of a person's character. I think Medved is letting his emotions and his desire to "get along" get the best of him.

• Nani Tavares  •  Sep 5, 2018 at 11:30 pm

The entire to do over McCain left a bad taste in my mouth because it had nothing to do with McCain. And the cost, who footed the bill for that?

4. Michael Zimmerman  •  Sep 6, 2018 at 3:34 pm

With regard to character…he seemed pretty brutal when it came to the way he left his 1st wife that waited for him to return. Please comment Michael as to how you see that action. Thanks.

• stop the exaggeration  •  Sep 7, 2018 at 8:19 pm

I'll never forget when Medved was saying something about the awful acts of a politician he worked for in the past. The politician was a pretty awful person. Medved said he would not name the person because the person was dead and he didn't want to speak badly of the dead. Huh?!?!? I can understand that if it is gossip, but this was Medved's own personal experience and not with a private citizen but with a politician who is probably remembered fondly by many because they don't know the truth about the politician. Bottom line, I don't think Medved would want to talk about negative aspects of McCain after his death. Medved prefers that a false view of deceased people remain rather than the truth be discussed. BTW – I am pretty sure that the politician Medved was referring to was Ted Kennedy or Ron Dellums. I read Medved's book a few years ago, and I believe he worked with both.

5. Rizzo  •  Sep 7, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Did anyone hear the exciting story?
    All this great economic news, it's ALL because of Obama.
    Do you know how I know that?
    Obama said it's so.

• Nani Tavares  •  Sep 7, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Rizzo, I know…no class, taking credit for what someone else did. There are times I am reminded how lucky we are not to have that man as our president. Today was such a time.

Oh, oh, and did you see Cory Booker just tank his presidential ambitions? It was so funny!

But serious, as amusing as it is to see the Liberals reveal their true selves, we must make sure they do not take back Congress. I do not want to spend the next 2 years in impeachment hearings and tantrum political correctness catcalls. Keep up the posting Rizzo and Jim and all those that take the time to point out the double standard of the Left. We need to not allow the bullying and intimidation to continue.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 10, 2018 at 11:17 am

God forbid, if the economy goes south, I wonder who will get credit for that?
        Leftists never want to take responsibility.
        Obama blamed ALL the bad on Bush, and claimed credit for anything good… which wasn't much.
        It doesn't get any more pathetic and contradictory than the left.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 10, 2018 at 1:25 pm

U.S. manufacturing expanded in December at the fastest pace in three months, as gains in orders and production capped the strongest year for factories since 2004, the Institute for Supply Management said Wednesday.

But the smartest president we’ve ever had, Barack Obama, said manufacturing was never coming back. So did the really smart people in the media. Obama wouldn't have been wrong, would he?

• Rizzo  •  Sep 10, 2018 at 2:27 pm

U.S. weekly jobless claims drop to near 49-year low

How can Obama claim credit for an economy and jobs that he said were gone and were NEVER coming back?

6. Bob  •  Sep 7, 2018 at 8:26 pm

I remember John McCain as a substandard aviator who killed over 100 sailors on his aircraft carrier doing a show off stunt.
    Who ran a campaign promising to repeal Obamacare Care, and when he had the deciding vote refused to support repeal, saying, “Let’s see Trump save the country now”.
    However, I do respect his decision to stay in confinement when offered an early release.
    No doubt he wouldn’t be celebrated so much except for the fact he disliked Trump.

7. bob mcferren  •  Sep 28, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Had McCain been an ardent Trump supporter, he would have died and gone away in relative silence.
    Yes. He was the deciding vote to retain Obama Care (I believe to spite Trump, as much as anything), but look at those who canonized him.
    He deserves credit for remaining in prison camp when offered an early release.
    But look at his record.
    He was a mediocre pilot at best. Shot down while disobeying orders.
    Killed scores of men executing a hot dog stunt that would have rendered most other soldiers a discharge, and heavily damaged the carrier he was on.
    May he rest in peace. I do believe he deserves that.