Poll Gives Edge to GOP Mainstream

Former Florida Governor Bush addresses the final session of the Republican National Convention in Tampa

According to conventional wisdom, strident activists will dominate the Republican primaries, but a new poll suggests otherwise.

A CBS news survey asked self-identified Republicans whether or not they wanted to see various candidates run for president. A plurality of GOP voters had negative responses to the candidacy of many candidates associated with the Tea Party wing of the Party—hoping that Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Rick Santorum, Bobby Jindal, and Rick Perry won’t run. Sarah Palin got the worst reaction of all: 59 percent wanted her to stay in Alaska, while response to Chris Christie was also strongly negative. Candidates perceived as representing the party’s mainstream got positive responses—including Marco Rubio, Mike Huckabee, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker and Ben Carson.

Most positive of all? By more than two to one, surveyed Republicans hoped for a third race by Mitt Romney, and the former governor looks ready to give them what they want.

1. Don  •  Jan 20, 2015 at 8:32 pm

fantastic. I hope he runs and wins. We need somebody of Romney’s caliber

2. Tinah  •  Jan 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm

I can’t believe a survey by CBS News and I can’t believe you would.

3. mark scott  •  Jan 21, 2015 at 7:20 pm

It is so important that the Republicans win the White House in 2016 that if I were Reince Priebus, I’d commission several polls as to which Republican candidate has the best chance against Hillary Clinton (who it looks like will win the Democrat nomination whether she wants it or not. I mean who else is running?) Then, after about a year of these polls and just prior to the primary season hitting, I’d call all candidates into a super secret meeting and ask them to put the country over their own political ambitions. If it is say Jeb Bush, then ask the other candidates to go all in on Jeb, and help unify the right and center of the party. I’m a T-Party Republican, which is to say a Conservative first, a Republican second. But, as I said before, we have to win this time. I’d take any Republican over Hillary or any other Democrat. I don’t understand why many on my side didn’t see that when Romney ran. But they didn’t and stayed home. Shame on them for causing 4 more years of Obama. And since there is going to be only ONE Democrat, there will be no fighting and money spent in the primaries. It won’t look good for the Republicans to be tearing themselves apart while Hillary bides her time and builds more money for the general election.

• Herb  •  Jan 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Very well said, Mark !!!!!

4. Tony in California  •  Jan 23, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Either CBS News put out a deceptive poll, or Republicans have a death wish! With a plethora of articulate possible candidates available, do we REALLY want a man famous for waffling, who blew a big lead 4 years ago because of his inability to connect with the American people? A fine debater yes, but a poor communicator. What we need is a strong communicator with the caviat “Demagogues need not apply” (sorry, Ted Cruz).

5. W.J. Hardin  •  Jan 23, 2015 at 5:22 pm

For me, it will be between Rubio and Huckabee I like what both say and stand for. I like it that Huckabee is for the “Fair Tax” with that EVERYBODY will pay they share and the IRS will not control what is said in church! With the cost of living rebate a lot of families could almost get by. Thank you fort having such an outstanding program.

6. Virgil Vestal  •  Jan 24, 2015 at 1:38 am

Mitt Romney had his chances. I don’t think he could win against Hillary, but it would be close.
    Jeb Bush will fair worse and his appeal to spanish voters will not be enough.
    Rubio would be good, and obviously has some spanish appeal but is simply too young.
    Huckabee and Scott Walker have done great things as governors but national appeal???
    The others, except for one, have no chance at all.
    I am more and more impressed with Ben Carson. At first, I thought the country was not ready for back to back black presidents, but the more I listen to him I am convinced he would be a GREAT president. He WOULD be the healing president that we need. And, his strong conservative values and patriotism would return the country to a moral footing and respect worldwide. Just listen to him. He is great. He would pull a large black vote and I truly respect the man and I am white man with some distant southern ties.