Rank Hypocrisy on Birtherism

U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump quiets a reporter during a news conference before a campaign town hall meeting in Derry, New Hampshire August 19, 2015.   REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Four years ago, when Donald Trump briefly campaigned for president before quitting the race, he focused on the issue of Barack Obama’s birth certificate, claiming to possess evidence that the president was born abroad and therefore ineligible for his office.

But this year, Trump respects the candidacy of Ted Cruz, and approvingly re-tweeted a suggestion for a Trump-Cruz ticket—despite the fact that Cruz acknowledges he was born in Canada (and thus, by Trump’s standard, ineligible).

Of course, Senator Cruz is eligible to run: because his mother was American, he counts as a “natural born” citizen under the Constitution. Obama’s mother was also born in the U.S., so why would it matter where he was born, or who his father was? Actually, the father of Ted Cruz was also a foreign national at the time of the Senator’s birth.

Is there any explanation for Trump’s continued questions on Obama’s eligibility, while embracing the candidacy of Cruz, other than political convenience?

1. Nani  •  Aug 25, 2015 at 5:20 pm

It’s the same reason why “conservatives” are willing to pay billions for a wall and deportation and changing the constitution. Trump and Cruz are all for getting rid of the Mexicans and getting rid of THOSE illegals is all that matters. Not Isis, not political correctness, race division, or Christian persecution. Certainly not America which CAN NOT afford another 4 years of executive rule. Trump is an Obama wannabe, who like Obama, tells the mass what they want to hear. 4 years ago, it was that Obama was not born in the 50th state. Today it’s that we need to get rid of Mexicans no matter what.

• William  •  Aug 28, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Your comment is clearly biased, but more importantly, doesn’t even make any sense.

You think Trump tells the masses what they want to hear? So you and your liberal friends, and the media, constantly bash him for being offensive and outrageous, and say that his candidacy is a joke because he keeps saying things that are so out of touch with most people, but now you say he tells people what they want to hear?

• Nani  •  Aug 29, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Sigh. You really think I am a Liberal?

You really don’t know much about Trump. 4 years ago he said he had PROOF that Obama was not an American citizen. We are still waiting for that proof.

Today he says that he will build a wall and that Mexico will pay for it…and everyone with a smidgen of common sense smile at that claim.

He keeps saying things conservatives want to hear. The problem is that the rest of America aren’t as enchanted. He continues to lead in the polls of the one most people will not vote for.

And yeah, I’m biased against loud mouth, petty, bullying people whose every answer is “trust me”.

• William  •  Aug 29, 2015 at 10:10 pm

@nani

No, I don’t THINK you are a liberal, I know you are a liberal. I understand that a lot of liberals don’t like to be called liberal. I don’t blame them.

Like most liberals you respond to a voice in your head rather than to what was actually said. There is really nothing in my post to indicate that I do or do not know anything about Donald Trump. My whole post was about what the liberal media are saying about him and your comment.

I know plenty about Trump. Apparently a lot more than you do. That may not be true, though, because it’s probably a case of you just lying rather than not knowing. You lose all credibility when you say that Trump just says things that conservatives want to hear. First of all, Trump is NOT a conservative. Anyone who would support Hillary Clinton and was in favor of a single payer healthcare system, etc., is not a conservative.

I wonder if you’re biased against a president who is a habitual liar, has utter contempt for the constitution and the law, hates this country, and is clearly racist? I doubt your “common sense” has a problem with that. It’s incredible that you even mentioned trust given our current president.

2. Nani  •  Aug 30, 2015 at 4:58 pm

William, speaking of not making sense; you are rambling. You speak of Trump as not being conservative but so conservative that Republicans are attacking him. So I guess you don’t have to be a Liberal to not like him huh?

Do conservatives want to hear that he will build a wall and have Mexico pay for it?

Do conservatives want to hear that children of illegals are not American citizens?

Do they want to hear that jobs will be brought back to America?

Do they want to hear that America is going to take over Iran and take their oil?

Trump tells people what they want to hear and when asked how, says “trust me”.

• William  •  Aug 31, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Nani, Nani, Nani. Are you really this dim?

“He’s so conservative that other Republican candidates attack him and plot against him for not being conservative. Yes, I know it is also for some of the things he says, but his not being a conservative is a major part of it.”

Are you really telling me that you can’t tell that the “He’s so conservative” part of that sentence is facetious? Look at what follows it. “His NOT being a conservative is a major part of it.”

It’s really hard to take you serious. “Do they want to hear that jobs will be brought back to America?” This is a huge liberal talking point! It is a perfect example of how he is NOT a conservative. Jobs leaving America was one of the things that liberals harped on for years when Bush was in office. It’s one of the biggest reasons Bernie Sanders is so popular right now and has been endorsed by unions who probably do not have an issue that is more important too them than “jobs being sent overseas.”

“You deny that Trump tells conservatives what they want to hear and you call me a liar?” You are either a liar or a complete imbecile. Why would so many conservatives attack Trump and plot against him if they were all being told what they wanted to hear? By the way, being told what you want to hear is the foundation of the Democratic Party. They will say ANYTHING to get elected. Our current president could not be a better example. He won an election on a pack of lies and a cheesy slogan. Hope and change? Division and destruction is hardly hope and change now, is it?

“As for knowing about Trump: so you KNOW that he said he had proof that Obama was not born in Hawaii but never produced that proof, yet you think we should support him when he says “trust me”?” This is what I mean when I say it’s hard to take you serious and why I KNOW you are a liberal. Obama’s whole presidency has been based on saying trust me and then lying. Over and over and over again. How do you keep a straight face when you say these things?

• Nani  •  Aug 31, 2015 at 2:42 pm

William, calm down. You know what they say about getting personal in a debate…the person who does so has already lost. They can’t stick to the issues and must get personal with all the “imbecile” and “liar” calling. I really did try to get you to answer specifics, like Trump NOT showing the PROOF that Obama was not born in America but you completely lost it. Not showing proof IS a major point in why Trump is more like Obama and cannot be trusted at all. I suspect you get that which is why you have not answered that point.

Next time you try to take someone on, take a deep breath and remember that you do not have to resort to calling people names if you have valid points to make.

And if you truly believe someone is incapable of comprehending what you are saying; don’t bother. Leave.

3. Nani  •  Aug 30, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Oh and William, I would have no problem in admitting I was a Liberal IF I was one. See, unlike conservatives who pretend to be the base of a party they hate and have no respect for, if I joined a party, I wouldn’t spend years feeling betrayed because the Republicans weren’t Libertarians.

Tell me William, when was the last time you called yourself a Republican?

• William  •  Aug 31, 2015 at 1:06 pm

You are sad Nani. and clueless. Also, I hate the Republican Party. If I had the power I would abolish ALL political parties. All they do is try to brainwash people and give people like you a reason to hate on their behalf so they can get re-elected.

• Nani  •  Aug 31, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Then why are you so angry? You’re not the base of the Republican party, they haven’t betrayed you. They have no reason to listen to you.

And your vote will go on not having made any difference.

• William  •  Sep 1, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Nani,

I’m not really angry. I could say the same thing about you, but I understand that is one of the liberal talking points instilled in you. I’m just surprised you didn’t say I was an “angry white man”.

Who says that I want the Republican Party to listen to me? As far as betraying me, both parties have betrayed me, and the country that they supposedly represent. It’s funny how so many people like to talk about evil corporations, but most of those descriptions they give of “evil corporations” apply to our political parties.

My vote will not make a difference? Again, I have not conformed, and unlike you, not brainwashed. So I don’t care if my vote makes a difference, or if I won’t be on the winning side. I just want it to be the right vote.

How much do you think your political party will matter when your extremely brief period of time on earth is over?

4. Nani  •  Sep 1, 2015 at 3:29 pm

William, your: “So I don’t care if my vote makes a difference, or if I won’t be on the winning side. I just want it to be the right vote.” shows me that you really don’t get it. If you value your vote so little that you don’t care if it makes a difference, then you are admitting that you are wasting your time.

And mine.

• William  •  Sep 1, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Nani,

I think it’s pretty obvious that you are the one who doesn’t get it. You seem to have a serious problem with comprehension.

How would I be wasting my time if I vote for the person that I think is the best choice? Are you actually suggesting that I should only vote for a candidate that is likely to win the election?

• Nani  •  Sep 2, 2015 at 3:45 pm

William, I know I am wasting my time. If you cannot see that you cannot win the “championship” if your team doesn’t make the “playoff”, you aren’t going to get it.

But for those who may be reading this. There is a reason why Libertarians joined the Republican party and pretends to be the base (even though they hate and have zero respect for the party). There is a reason why their leaders run under the banner of the GOP. They got tired of losing.

Go ahead and make yourself feel better by saying that you will vote for the best choice. If that choice has little chance of winning, then you are back to square one. You can spend election after election frustrated and angry as you watch 4 more years of Obamanism or you can vote for someone that will give you some of what you want.

I am sorry but your views are NOT shared by the majority of voters. If it was, then there would be more loud mouth, petty, bullying people running for office. If it was, the MSM wouldn’t be persecuting Christians–and getting away with it. If it was, the Supreme Court wouldn’t have found rights in abortion or same sex marriage.

Fact is that there are 20% Hard Left and 20% Hard Right; the rest, 60% are Independent that are left on some issues and right on others and those who want to lead HAS to RESPECT the middle if they are going to be able to accomplish anything.

Now we have had a bullying King for at least 3 years, who has no respect for the constitution and the country is tired of all this Political BS. It should be easy to win back the WH.

But then there are people like William who hate ALL politicians and parties. And would rather see them all burn, then get to the serious business of fixing things. Trump makes people feel good; he’s like a child that picks fights and the Williams are like those mob who love watching.

Only the world is on fire and only America can truly save her. So the real question is: are you going to put America first–or go on being entertained and have your vote count for nothing?

5. William  •  Sep 2, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I knew sooner or later the person behind the mask would appear. I called it right the first time. You are nothing more than a brainwashed shill for a political party. If you want to see hate, look in the mirror.

6. Brian Harmon, Retired Econ Professor  •  Sep 5, 2015 at 5:50 pm

While I disagree with Nani on the issue of illegal immigration, it is clear who is the nitwit in the discussion above. and it is NOT Nani.
    Only screwballs call everyone who disagrees with them “brainwashed” for example. Or think that all political parties are bad. Or would think that Nani is a liberal.
    Illegal immigration is a tough issue. In short run, the GOP would probably get more Latino votes if we allow it and legalize those who do it. But in the long run, it is hard to see how unlimited illegal immigration will eventually do anything but give the Democrats a permanent majority.
    The idea that we have to give citizenship to virtually all illegal aliens or deport them all is a false dichotomy. We could, for example, tighten up the border, deny government benefits to illegal aliens (other than education, maybe?), deport those who make a nuisance of themselves, and use E-Verify to prevent most of them from getting jobs. What we know is that if you make something more difficult or less comfortable, fewer people will want to do it.
    On the flip side, virtually all immigrants know and are in contact with people in their home countries. Every time we make things better for illegal aliens, the word goes out to millions of others to “Come on over!”

Hear what Michael has to say about Health Markets