Recognizing the “Invisible Hand”

So far, the main criticism of my new book “THE AMERICAN MIRACLE: DIVINE PROVIDENCE IN THE RISE OF THE REPUBLIC,” involves the claim that we’re not unique in seeing God’s special blessing for our country. Don’t the British sing, “God Save the Queen” and don’t many other nations believe in divine favor? The difference is that other nations evolved over centuries but America was uniquely, purposefully created. When does British history begin, for instance? Under the Celts, the Romans, the Anglo-Saxons or the Normans?

America, by contrast, began in 1776, the product of “intelligent design,” not random evolution. Those who want to give credit to our Founders for that design, should note that even the unconventional religious thinkers among them saw themselves as instruments, not authors, of a providential plan for the new nation.

They agreed with Washington, who used his first Inaugural to praise the “Invisible Hand” that shepherded 13 loosely connected colonies to independence.

The rise of our nation is, indeed, an “American Miracle.”

1. Bill King  •  Dec 20, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Michael, Thank you for the complimentary copy of your book, "The American Miracle". I received it today after calling in to your show to express my concerns and share my prayers on election night that Hillary Clinton would not be elected President Of The United States. I am looking forward to reading it and wanted to let you know that persons such as yourself and Dennis Praeger have done much to help save my sanity over the last 8 years of the Obama administration and that I find your words, deeds and thoughts very helpful. Knowing that I am not alone in many of my thoughts is of great value to me. I have often felt great despair over the course our nation has taken in recent decades, especially with regards to what I would refer to as "The American Holocaust". That is, the taking of the untold millions of innocent children's lives right here in The United States through the act of abortion for mere convenience. Fearing for the very existence of our nation, and wondering if it may have collectively reached the limit of God's great mercy because of this great sin and the continued rejecting of God's great moral principles by our liberal government and courts it is with great hope I begin to read your book and pray that it is not too late and that perhaps God will save us from ourselves.

Regards,
    Bill

2. Tru  •  Dec 20, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Michael – Your comment that thee US was founded on the "intelligent design" model and not "random evolution".

Perhaps this does not have as much to do with reality as with the fact that Darwin was not even born until 1809 and didn't write his watershed masterwork until he was 50.

3. Sally  •  Dec 23, 2016 at 1:28 am

I just ordered your book,' the American Miracle', and look forward to reading it. Your other audio history lessons are excellent. They make me want to learn more about our American history. Truly we are blessed, not lucky. Thank you for making history come alive.

4. George A Robacker  •  Dec 23, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Apart from the divine hand of God on the United States, there is no way to explain away all the events that took place, at just the right time, that saved the United States from destruction.

• Louis, Louis  •  Dec 28, 2016 at 12:24 am

The Romans would have said exactly the same thing in 220 AD had they been monotheistic at the time.

• Louis, Louis  •  Dec 28, 2016 at 12:27 am

Do you read history? We have only been a republic for a little over 200 years, a mere second in time.

5. Louis, Louis  •  Dec 28, 2016 at 12:25 am

We go to such great leaps for comfort. Sad but true.