Kavanaugh as #MeToo Villain? An Outrageous Smear!

U.S. Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) (C), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) (L), Mazie Hirono (D-HI) and Patty Murray (D-WA) speak to reporters about the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh at the U.S. Capitol on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., September 18, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Segar

In their desperate attempt to smear Judge Brett Kavanaugh, many left-leaning commentators try to connect him to #MeToo malefactors like Harvey Weinstein. For two reasons, this association is utterly unfair.

First, the #MeToo villains all exploited positions of power; Kavanaugh was a 17-year-old high school junior at the time of his alleged misdeeds.

Second, all the #MeToo villains were guilty of mistreating multiple women, sometimes hundreds; in Judge Kavanaugh’s case, he’s accused of mistreating only one woman, on a single occasion.

The timing of the accusations is also highly suspect: rather than confronting Kavanaugh in Senate hearings or private meetings with charges she received two months ago, Senator Feinstein made them public in a last-minute last ditch effort to block his nomination.

If Senators allow this shady maneuver to succeed, they will shift our politics from merely ugly to outrageously unjust.

1. Patrick Wahl  •  Sep 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Hear, hear! I am hearing this narrative playing out on Public radio and elsewhere, and it grieves me for our nation. I am not saying this as a "big" Trump supporter either, but this seems to me to be a sinking to a new low where the ends justify just about any means.

2. Nani Tavares  •  Sep 21, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Let me say right up front, I am a sticker for fairness and this whole incident has me screaming at my t.v., ipad, and cell phone. Everyone seems to be afraid to call Ford out. Well I'm not. She accuses Kavanaugh but doesn't remember when, where, how she got there and how she got home. She is trying to dictate when she will appear to give testimony, who can interrogate her, what they can ask, and the order of testimony. I'm sorry but I wouldn't believe my best friend with such sketchy information. I am DEEPLY offended that she is to believed simply because she is a woman and that she needs men to protect her; what ever happened to EQUALITY. I am heartbroken that the Left has become so depraved as to try to destroy a person's right to defend himself; that more than one Democrat is insisting that Kavanaugh is guilty and half the population should just "shut up". I am embarrassed beyond belief that the senator from my state is saying such unamerican and frankly stupid things and was a party to the hijinks of the confirmation. Let me pull an absolute: anyone saying that a woman needs special treatment is sexist, anyone wanting to deny Kavanaugh his ability to defend himself is unfair, uncivil, and a bully. And anyone who wants to go down the road where a person can make an accusation without evidence isn't thinking period. On that standard, we ALL are vulnerable.

• Barry  •  Sep 21, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Very well-said, Nani.

3. Barry  •  Sep 21, 2018 at 5:04 pm

An Anita Hill redux. Though the gambit failed to stop Clarence Thomas' confirmation, I guess libs feel like the current #MeToo climate provides more fertile soil. Amazing that they best they could do is dredge up an alleged 35-year-old episode that involved only a fumbling teenage attempt at sex, described as hardly more than a playful wrestling match. Yet this caused the alleged victim a life-long bout of angst? Shouldn't there be a Statute of Limitations on youthful behavior? I remember when the "op research" used against Romney's Presidential bid some sort of hazing he allegedly did in college. Next thing you know, they'll find a teacher who claimed the next Conservative candidate for the SCOTUS, Senate, et al, lied about losing their homework when they were in Grade School, or made some comment about girls having cooties when they were in Kindergarten. When the libs have no better argument, they always, always go 'ad hominem'.

4. John  •  Sep 21, 2018 at 6:02 pm

As a lawyer, I am sickened and disgusted at how far the Democrats, the Left and the leftist feminist movement will sink. And, the mainstream media just goes along with the narrative. With the comments by the Hawaiian Senator, Gillibrand and Bluenthal, I wonder if there is going to be a huge backlash from men who are offended and threatened by the totalitarian tactics. I, for one, have finally started lying at each political poll I get, and I receive one a day (I recognize many are push polls) just to lull the Dems in to a sense that they are going to get the Blue Wave they tout. The problem is that if the Dems takeover the House or Senate, then they are being rewarded for their obstructionism and their intentional refusal to abide by any moral limits on their conduct. I have come to the conclusion that the Democratic Party no longer believes in being the "loyal opposition" but rather is willing to subvert the system. In other words, they no longer believe in our system of government.

5. Mark Hudson  •  Sep 21, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Well said. I think you nailed it. It is a desparate hail mary to try to support abortion rights and other left wing agenda. Why did she wait until the 99th hour to come forward?

• pound-me-too is fascism.  •  Sep 22, 2018 at 11:42 pm

Because this is a strategy to help the democrats in the midterms and/or prevent him from being confirmed. This was all strategically planned from the start.

And the idiotic position that she must be telling the truth because nobody would put themselves through this otherwise? More examples of democrats lacking critical thought. (1) If the goes forward, she will always be the darling of the left. She will be able to demand large speaking fees on womens issues, etc. She has a lot go gain. Monica Lewinski is still riding her 5 minutes of fame. Anita Hill is still a darling of the left and benefiting from her lies. (2) If you are past middle age, you realize that there are a lot of crazy people in the world. There just are. I have met people who truly believed things that were obviously not true. Many people have a tenuous grip on reality. I can totally see this woman somehow convincing herself that Kavanaugh did this even though it isn't true. (3) The democrats have been so brainwashed about the importance of Roe v. Wade that I have no doubt that there are at least 1000 women who would make up a story like this. Fortunately for us, only one of those women has an arguable connection to Kavanuagh, even though we see how tenuous it is.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 23, 2018 at 9:17 am

Bingo!
        Leftists are on a constant mission to undermine the will of the people.

6. democrats are degenerates  •  Sep 22, 2018 at 4:31 pm

We need a federal law. Ten years after an alleged incident, or when you become 28 years old, whichever is later, is the deadline to come forward with a charge of "sexual assault" or rape. If you don't at least file a report with the authorities regarding the alleged incident, the alleged incident can never be used in a civil or criminal proceeding. Ten years is long enough to report a "sexual assault." After 10 years, memories fade, witnesses die, evidence is destroyed, etc, etc.

7. kmeechan  •  Sep 23, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Is it possible that even Ty won't argue on this one?

• Ty needs counseling  •  Sep 23, 2018 at 10:49 pm

He will probably be here spewing his irrational hate and verbal diarrhea soon. He hates conservatives and republicans too much to not come and make his dishonest arguments about how horrible we are. Honestly, I feel sorry for the guy. He is clearly acting out of some emotional wound that was inflicted on him by one or more conservatives. He isn't dumb, so that is really the only rational explanation for his worldview.

8. Bruce Anderson  •  Sep 24, 2018 at 1:09 am

Kavanaugh seems like the real deal. Having said this, there are some really haneous judges out there.

9. Harvey Homan  •  Sep 24, 2018 at 8:44 am

At what point should BS be called upon this woman's blatantly obvious fabrication? Come on now, a college professor from California making an accusation to a liberal Democrat Senator… who, at the last hour, plays her card..Please! Once again so called Republicans have let liberal democrats run a scam on them. I say call the damn game and get on with a vote to confirm.

10. Rizzo  •  Sep 24, 2018 at 9:15 am

Democrats are the party of the MOST HEINOUS people imaginable.
    Whether it be KKK members, serial womanizers, women beaters or monsters who leave women in a sinking car to drown.
    Then they have selective outrage depending upon if your name has a D or R after it.

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC AND TOTAL TRANSPARENT HYPOCRISY!

11. Rizzo  •  Sep 24, 2018 at 11:20 am

I mean SERIOUSLY, we need a lecture on women from the party of the Kennedys, Lyndon Johnson, Bill Clinton, Hillary (who covered-up and attacked the accusers), Keith Ellison (who beats his wife)?
    Who did I forget?

• Captainbinkman  •  Sep 26, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Asia Argento one of the heads of the #metoo movement. Raped a minor and paid him off for silence. Now he is demonized.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 27, 2018 at 9:50 am

Good one! And how about Eric Schneiderman… and Anthony Weiner-man Weiner!
        Let's keep this list open and ongoing.
        It could get quite lengthy.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 27, 2018 at 9:59 am

Ooooh oooh ooh (Horshack-style)… who could forget about Lisa Bloom, who was offering $750,000, to pay women to accuse President Trump of sexual assault?

It's what I mean… the left's ideology is based on nothing but lies and deceit!
        They ignore and trash women who were ACTUALLY sexually assaulted by Bill Clinton, then they pay other women to lie about Trump.

PATHETIC!!!!!!

• Rizzo  •  Sep 27, 2018 at 10:04 am

The left doesn't need FACTS and TRUTH… they just need to control the perception of truth and reality….. ENTER THE MEDIA!

12. Captainbinkman  •  Sep 26, 2018 at 3:49 pm

The Democrats should have filed with the state and have local law enforcement to conduct the investigation not the FBI. The senate can ask the FBI to investigate a potential crimes, but it can not direct the FBI to investigate the background of a presidential nominee. I say again presidential nominee! NOT a nominee of the senate. Regarding Ford's allegations, assuming they are true, here is no suggestion that a federal crime was committed, the statute of limitations with allegations 30 years old. No evidence, just an allegation. So the FBI has no independent authority to open a criminal investigation here. Its only role here, I guess, would be to re-open the Kavanaugh background investigation. And there have been several of those conducted over Kavanaugh already. It just seems to me, totally disingenuous of the Democrats, they violated confidentiality, and will stand to gain brownie points from their voting base through the revictimization of a women who claims to be a victim. That's not fair to her or Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh is also not being charged with a crime and democrats presume that he is guilty of one… without hearing his side of the story! That's wrong, period. If Ford wants to testify then she needs to do that, but she doesn't get to postpone this process indefinitely either and Kavanaugh should be able to testify and defend himself. I believe in freedom of speech and the presumption of innocent until proven guilty and the democratic party has proven to me that they do not believe in these principles and thus have lost my vote.