Senseless Indifference Toward Ukraine

Why does unrest in some nations attract obsessive attention from the press and the Obama administration, while turbulence in other places generates scant concern?

Ukraine, for instance, counts as a potential economic power house with a population of 45 million, occupying a crucial, strategic position between Russia and the west, but Americans pay little heed to huge demonstrations and bloody street battles between pro-western protesters and a corrupt, pro-Putin government.

When demonstrators jubilantly smashed a huge statue of the Bolshevik dictator Lenin, few leaders in the United States expressed support for the forces of freedom in Kiev. Instead, we showed more sympathetic interest in far more dubious, Islamist-leaning, anti-government activists in places like Libya and Egypt. It makes no sense for western, democratic powers to remain indifferent when populist uprisings struggle to affirm western, democratic values.

1. Ed Norton  •  Dec 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

While our press is free; its bias and neglect is incredible. It has done nothing to hold the current administration accountable. Had the press done its job, Mr. Holder and Ms. Sibelius would be out of theirs.

Ed Norton
    Burlington, WA

• Derek Brewer  •  Dec 17, 2013 at 11:53 am

Ed, What depresses me with our “press” is the lack of independent thought/expression/ideas. It seems that the unique perspective is of no value anymore, and every newspaper isolates a single counter opinion person and pretends that they are a crazy necessity.

2. Larry G. Orr  •  Dec 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm

It is not surprising to me at all that they would ignore the Ukraine given the fact that Obama only cares about himself and his own power. He and Putin are of the same ilk … both of them like the idea of being a dictator

3. Kpar  •  Dec 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm

“Pro-Western Protesters”? Our mainstream press might consider that an oxymoron…

4. cj  •  Dec 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm

It shouldn’t even take an armchair diplomat columnist to know that Russia and the U.S. are already at loggerheads over Syria. Do we really need to throw fuel on that fire? Why not start staring down China over their human rights abuses while we’re at it…

Just silly.

5. Clive Louden  •  Dec 15, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Possibly 6,000,000 kulak Ukrainian farmers were starved when Communist dictator Stalin collectivized their privately owned farms. They then destroyed the Russian bread basket in the Ukraine. This is what Hiler said he wanted in his autobiography “MEIN KAEMPF” and the Nazi Army conquered in Jume 1941. My father had a Ukrainian friend who told him about this during World War 2. We kept it secret because Stalin was our ally! My father told me something his friend may hve told him which is unknown. When the Nazis invaded the Ukraine they were greeted by the people as liberators! What happened? Stalin had the KGB kill some high ranking Nazis and made it look like they were Ukrainian partisans. The Nazis took retribution because Hitler had declared the Russian Slavs as “Untermensh” in the same category as Jews and Roma gypsys. They were Russian Orthodox Christians and many were blond and blue eyed
    “Aryans”! Ironically, another secret 6,000,000 Polish men, women and children were killed by the Nazis half were Jewish, the other half were Catholic. Pope John Paul 11 knew that he lived by

6. Clive Louden  •  Dec 16, 2013 at 12:49 am

Pope John Paul lived near Auschwitz! In 1963, I took a course on Russian History. The main thing I remember was that the Ukraine was historically Democratic and The Moscovites Moscow were authoritarian dictatorial. The course didn’t teach why. The Ukraine was agricultural with a multitude of private farmers who were hard working free enterprisers who profited from their hard work. Moscow was like Washington, D.C., a bureaucratic system of red tape, just spreading the wealth in barely subsistence amounts. The Iron Curtain didn’t collapse because of Reagan, Pope John Paul, Thatcher, Billy Joel. It collapsed because there was no free enterprise laissez-faire incentive. It went bankrupt building just guns and no butter. The young people of the world want stuff they are techies. Coincidentally, my History professor Dr. Ruth McKay lived in Kennebunkport, Maine. My college graduation dinner dance were in Kennebunkport in June 1964, just past the Bush family home! In 1964 they were nothing historically but became a four letter word to the Democratic Party! Get over it! Where are the Reagan Democrats? I got my History degree but it has taken 4,000 books, Wikipedia and videos to learn why History repeats itself. Mankind just doesn’t get it! Wake up America. Next year my book about my family’s amazing stories and dozens of amazing patriots I have meet. “Hitler Satan’s Messiah The Apostasy and False Pride of a Nation The Allied Crusade to Victory The World Today” will connect the Providential, Small World events in my life which will tell the “Rest of the Story” as the great Paul Harvey so often did. God Bless America.

7. Clive Louden  •  Dec 16, 2013 at 3:35 am

I guess nobody gives a damn about the Ukrainians! Wrong FOX news showed Senator McCain speaking to 200,000 cheering Ukrainians. I guess the comment by appeaser cj would consider McCain a war monger “throwing fuel on the fire”? Putin saved Obama from making a decision which wouldn’t be befitting of a Nobel Peace Prize recipient? What about his allowing us to bomb Libya. ironically, we found he had a secret nuclear weapons program and he was involved with blowing up a Pan Am 747 jumbo jetliner over my forefather’s country Scotland killing innocent American and Scottish citizens. Obama let the bomber be freed from prison to return to Libya because of terminal illness. Is that Christian charity? The Libyan Muslims welcomed him as a hero. Holy Jihad. The Koran mentions Hell Fires on many of its pages but he killed infidels which guarantees Paradise and a large number of virgins?
    We can’t upset dictator ex East Germany KGB commissar Putin. Chancellor Merkel knows all about that she lived there. Her father was a brave Lutheran pastor in an atheist Communist country not much worse than the previous Apostate Christian Germany which worshipped a false messiah Adolf Hitler. Germany fought Russia in two World Wars. My mother’s father fought the invading Czarist Russian Army for 3 years! My mother was a 19 year old blonde haired, blue eyed Lutheran who left Hitler’s Germany in January 1935, her 6 month tourist visa expired in July. She was an illegal alien for 6 years! My mother Elisabeth Frank married my father in August 1941, after they met in his hometown Amityville! Hollywood, DeFeo was on crack cocaine, demons had nothing to do with it! I lived two blocks from the house for 9 years.
    My father was a B-24 bombing radar technician in the Eight Air Force in England. The only flying B-24 bomber today the Witchcraft originally flew a record 130 bomb missions was in his unit. Last February I visited my son in Florida and took him to see it at Roca Raton Airport. In 1944 my dad learned top secret bombing radar there. My son gave me $425 to take a 30 minute flight in the four engine bomber! I thought of my departed father and how his 467th Bomb Group unit was rated the “best” of 32 groups! I was in the Air Force at Bitburg Air Base, Germany from 1966-1969. It was the most strategic airbase in Europe, every new American jet fighter bomber came to Bitburg first from 1953. We had nuclear bomb carrying Phantom jets. Bitburg had the SS cemetery which was an embarrassment to President Reagan. He did the right thing and kept Conservative Kohl in office and brought down the Berlin Wall and Iron Curtain! A new book on my dad’s unit amazed me that it bombed some very strategic targets. On December 24 and Dec. 25, Christmas, 1944, after 6 days of fog, all 60 bombers bombed a mountaintop small town just north of Bitburg which was the German command center for the southern flank of the Nazi Army in the Battle of the Bulge! Small World?
    At Bitburg AB I was the editor of the base newspaper. The day I left Bitburg AB the flag was at half mast. I asked an airman who died, they said, “President, General Eisenhower!” It was April 1, 1969. It was no joke and I think Providential. My first civilian job was Providentially for the great World Almanac. I did the History, Government, Religious Bodies and Associations and Societies listings and also World Almanac Facts which were sent to 600 newspapers. It was a great challenge to come up with relevant stories which I enjoyed doing for 6 years.
    A final word for the liberal “know it all media”. The World Almanac was made into a “compendium of universal knowledge” by a Jewish Hungarian Joseph Pulitzer who became an American citizen during the American Civil War as a cavalry officer. His 1947 3 cent commemorative postage stamp has his forgotten quote, “Our Republic and its Press Shall Rise and Fall Together!” This Prophetic truth should be on every Fourth Estate media desk. His Pulitzer Prize has been desecrated and Joseph Pulitzer one of America’s greatest journalists is not happy! That is the Rest of the Story. There are 5 W’s in Journalism, I learned at Defense Information School of Journalism at Ft. Slocum, NY last class in 1965, before I went to Andrews AFB, Washington, D.C. What are the 5 W’s? Who, What, When, Where and Why and spell names correctly! The rest is bull. Page 1. Paul Harvey some of us still hear your voice of Truth! Rest in Peace! Page 2

8. Myron B. Kuropas  •  Dec 18, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thank you Michael Medvid for calling attention to the hypocrisy of the the American media. With the exception of FOX News and the Wall Street Journal, there is no attention being paid to the democracy demonstrations in Ukraine. Putin has scored another end run around our president and Mr. Obama remains oblivious. So sad.

9. Mark  •  Dec 22, 2013 at 10:28 am

I seen Putin as a world leader and a peace maker in 013. I have him (over the gay rights nincompope) as man of the year. Putin bailed out Obama in Syria and he’s promoted a production friendly capitalism. He let his political enemy go free. He’s kissing up to the world for his big Olympics shoe, like he thinks he’s Ed Sullivan. Let him.
    After all that Bologna that Bush laid on him (about looking in his eyes), he was in the right to slap him (with a Georgia invasion). He’s has potential to help fix problems and should be perused with respect.

• Mark  •  Dec 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’m impressed with the timing of the Pussy Riot unleashing. Putin might be more like Howard Cosell’s Saturday Night (with hot his Pussy Riot act) but maybe he is the next
      Ed Sullivan?
      His Olympic games feel like they are going to be something special. I predict (new years) his Olympics get top television ratings, top attendance, and top $. He’s making stock holders around the world money. he’s popular. I bet even Mitt Romney will enjoy his east Europe extravaganza.

• Mark  •  Dec 24, 2013 at 9:08 am

May I say???,
        When it comes to man of the year 014 :
        “If the Russian Olympics are really big success, Uncle Putin is a ~shoe in~”

• Mark  •  Dec 25, 2013 at 2:23 pm

At least Romney showed up in 012. I can’t believe Obama is boycotting this event. “Putin was the best friend Obama had in 013″.
        Putin is rolling out the red carpet and Obama is turning up his nose. Is this really about gay rights? I bet they don’t even have a sexual exhibition or exhibit.
        I don’t swallow this nonsense. Let me be the 1st to suggest that the reason the President is butting out” is because He Can’t SKATE !

10. Clive  •  Dec 26, 2013 at 4:53 am

The first comments were on correct about the media not supporting the Ukrainian massive protests which the Associated Press says was 500,000. Obama and the American Press won’t support a pro democratic protest. I previously wrote extensively about my personal experiences why we should support the Ukrainian people. Now all I am reading is Putin glorification because they have the Olympics. They must have read the National Geographic article which says Putin is going to spend the most money of any Olympic. They cite Ed Sullivan and Howard Cossell which makes me think they have to be my World War 2 generation. They weren’t in the military doing the Cold War of 1945 to 1991! I was at the most strategic air base in Europe at Bitburg! We had a 5 minute nuclear warning time. That is where President Ronald Reagan visited the controversial cemetery which was protested by many Americans. His commitment to Kohl brought down the Berlin Wall and the Iron Curtain! I have seen the East German fence in 1968 and was on the Czechoslovakian border when the Russian Army invaded after their 5 months of Freedom!
    We are now in the Second Cold War but this time Russia has the money and the United States doesn’t. I don’t know if the gay rights issue will cancel America’s participation? President Carter cancelled it because of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. That war caused the collapse of the USSR but we aided the jihadists that attacked us on
    9-11. Where is Russia getting all this money? The oil and gas that western banks gave them money to rebuild their broken down infrastructure which they export and shut off when they want. Europeans must know that the Ukraine is where these oil and gas pipelines go through. Lenin said, “The capitalists will sell us the rope we hang them with!” The Ukraine wants to join the Common Market. This is Putin’s worst nightmare. He would loose his economic power and it is believed the wells are running dry. Our wells and gas will make us independent and an exporter by 2015! Drill Baby Drill!
    The Wall St. Daily just released an astounding Stock survey Russia and China are in the negative! This shows that fascist or communist manipulative control of an economy isn’t how capitalism works. What have you bought made in Russia? What does China make mostly junk like Japan did before World War 2! China does have one major asset. It builds most of the wotld’s technical devices such as computers, tablets, iPhones and iPods, androids! It is time to give capital gains and tax free breaks like New York and get the factories built in America. Then we could pay China the trillion and a half dollars we owe them and start paying off our national debt!
    I want the American Olympians to participate and use their talents to make it an exciting world event. The last one just let the USSR win by default.
    What countries stocks are up? The United States, Japan, Germany, South Korea, Vietnam and most surprisingly Greece. We build cars and other useable consumer goods. China does build something American not for export. They love the Buick Regal for its looks and chrome? My first car was a used 1954 Buick Century. “Wouldn’t you rather have a Buick?” Khruschev’s son lived in Vermont and had a Buick? I don’t know about Chevrolet. “See the USA in your Chevrolet” and the “Heartbeat of America” wouldn’t sell in China.
    So you Putin lovers think Putin is a great capitalist. He is an old school KGB commissar who never did an honest day’s work. Just like the socialist community organizer from the Chicago hood who has no clue about American free enterprise.
    Putin needs the Ukrainian breadbasket just like Hitler. Wake up America the Cold War isn’t over until we get a businessman to run a democratic Russia!

11. mark  •  Dec 26, 2013 at 7:52 am

Here’s where we differ Clive. I think the United states is more of a socialist country than Russia. I see Putin as a let the best man win capitalist. Obama is NOT!
    Sure the Olympics are the reason Putin is making so many world accommodating gestures. I see that as being even more positive. Maybe it will become a tradition for the host nation to live up to? Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Green Peace is free. Let the good times roll.

12. mark  •  Dec 26, 2013 at 8:46 am

Look how ultra capitalist Putin pulled off his Ukrainian coup. He went out and bought it.

13. Mark  •  Dec 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Martial law isn’t spying. Its to bad but security must be established. Either its going to be a huge success or a catastrophe. People won’t be ran off. I’m standing by my predictions of record turnout, $, and especially TV ratings.
    To protest the government spying, the press preaching the party line, and private sector censorship ( @#%$*^), I’ll be pulling for Putin this winter. I won’t be alone doing the bear hop either.

• Mark  •  Dec 31, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Slow thinking Obama will miss this opportunity to announce that he will show up to the opening ceremony to “stand” against terrorism. It might actually show support without compromising defense. Would it offend his Islamic friends, or is just that he’s ashamed that “HE CAN’T SKATE” !

free autographed copy of Michael Medved's new book