Sitting Out the Election? A Disastrous Mistake!

United States Capitol Rotunda. Senate and Representatives government home in Washington D.C.

Faced with a choice between two presidential candidates with high disapproval ratings, conservatives must resist the temptation to sit home and sulk in this election.

Low GOP turnout could bring disastrous consequences for worthy Republican candidates struggling to maintain majorities in the Senate and House. The loss of just four Republican Senate seats of 24 up for grabs, could hand control to the Democrats.

In the House, the Republicans would lose their majority if Democrats flip just 12 percent of the 247 seats the GOP is defending. Regardless of the presidential outcome, maintaining conservative power in Congress will be crucial for the nation’s future—especially if Hillary is elected president and attempts to enact radical aspects of her agenda like tax increases and federally-funded abortion.

What’s more, your one vote is even more likely to make a difference in close races with the smaller electorates in House, Senate and local contests.

Don’t sit this election out.

1. Connie Smales  •  Oct 11, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I am a life long Republican who has listened to each debate and watches and reads constantly. I appreciate your radio comments today about Donald Trump. The discussion of character and immaturity were right on target and definitely the most insightful and accurate portrayal of the flaws in this candidate that I have seen. While I will support Republican congressional candidates, I cannot bring myself to vote for Trump. I have to do what I think is least harmful to my country and vote for Hillary. Never did I think I would be doing this but he is too much of a wild card to entrust the highest office in the land to his care.

• brian hansen  •  Oct 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm

connie ,
      I don't think Donald trump is the ideal candidate , nor did I think Romney or McCain were. lately our choices seem to be the lesser of two evils. so if you think trump is more evil or worse than Hillary than I have no idea what you are reading and two I highly doubt you are a life-longrepublican

• Pablo Hernandez  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Seriously? Do Hillary's lies and corruption not count. For me I find her behavior and dishonesty far worse than Trump's crassness and lack of experience. Hillary has all the experience and yet she can't remember managing her emails. How many times does she not recall things a competent person should recall. How do you excuse the lies? Public officials have a higher duty. Yet everything she touches is corrupted. Why are so many of her staffers pleading the Fifth. Why should we have to rely on FOIA's and Wikileaks to get the truth from Hillary and Obama? How do you excuse them from going after their political opponents with the IRS and the abuse of process with the FBI and Justice? Then there's the incompetence of her tenure as Secretary of State; Lybia, Benghazi, Syria, ISIS, the Iran deal, … All while she had a duty to the American people and does everything in her power to hide and conceal. Can you suspend reason and accept that there's no conflict between State and the Clinton Foundation during her term and her duplicitous speeches to Wall Street? Why would you reward such a corrupt public official with your vote? The same reasoning you used to disqualify Trump can be applied with greater force to disqualify Hillary, who through deeds and dishonesty has violated the public trust.

• Tuck Tucker  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 6:01 pm

She is against all conservative values. He is not.
      Plan and simple, we have to do the best with what we have, we can't sit this vote out in protest.

• James Hohman  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 6:55 pm

During the Nixon administration we sent people to prison for less crimes against the laws of the United States. We have people in the miltary being tried for lessor crimes. If she is not guilty let the justice system do its job. The Clintons have been able to get away with crimes because of slick attorneys. Her saying she does not remember any of her emails is crazy.
      If the democrats get into office you will soon lose your right to do just what we are doing now. Obama said today we need the government to check all the news befor the media can use it. Sorry but we have had alot of dirty old men in the white house. Jim

• Nani  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Connie, I think what you are really saying is that you love this country more than you hate Hillary. I haven't gotten to the point where I could actually pull the lever for Hillary, but I do know that I cannot be a part of allowing an insane man to have nuke codes.

Put whatever is true about Trump or Hillary aside. The latter is a political animal that cannot be trusted but who WILL work in the system because she believes in it. In that, we have some control. Trump thinks he is running for king, emperor, God. The military and the courts have to do HIS bidding. He has zero respect for the constitution or rights. This man is so insane that it's spooky.

Can I say that I respect your decision and know how heartbreakingly hard it must have been for you to make it?

• Rizzo  •  Oct 27, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Connie… If you love this country, you can NOT do anything that would enable the election of Hillary Clinton. By not voting for Trump, its tantamount to supporting the continued counterrevolution of America.

NANI IS A FRAUD. She does not love America. She hates Trump and is a short sided loon.

• Ty  •  Oct 17, 2016 at 11:34 am

I heard an interesting take on this during the John Batchelor radio show last week in podcast form. I think ALL Medved listeners would be interested in the clip.

It is only 10 minutes long, and takes a historical look at the choice between Burr and Jefferson and which person Hamilton would end up supporting.

• barbara jordan  •  Oct 17, 2016 at 11:47 am

Well, Hillary has done her job well. She got you people that are going to vote for her to just what she wanted. Don't you know how evil this woman is. Just take a few minutes and read up on every thing she has done to this country and every thing she intends to do if she is president. She is not mentally capable to be president. She has climbed to where she is now on her husbands name. If she did not have that she would not be running for president. Think before you vote.

• Nani  •  Oct 17, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Barbara, you and I can argue on the evils of BOTH Hillary and Trump; neither candidate has the market on character. This isn't really an "or" issue. If you won't vote for Trump, you're enabling Hillary isn't cutting it.

The fact is the man is insane. Honest to God insane and you don't give nuke codes to insane people. Period. End of story.

• Rizzo  •  Oct 28, 2016 at 12:16 am

Hey Nani… You moron. Here are the nukes you should be concerned with.
        – Russia unveils 'Satan 2' missile, could wipe out France or Texas, report say.

2. Jim Bird  •  Oct 11, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Ben Shapiro is expecting a 35% "no coat tails" drop off for Trump. You and he have done a good job of destroying the Party and the country and the world. Do you feel good, all warm and giggily inside? Why not call Ben because I don't know the details; I heard it in passing on the radio this morning. Who the hell cares any more. Wtf has happened to republicans? This is the end of the party and you know it, Ryan knows it, EVERYONE knows it. All of you apologist cowards and literally moronic bastards, can go to hell. Maybe if any of you would've ever had a job or business, other than "commentary" endlessly chattering, chuckling or wringing your hands for fear of looking bad, you might see the benefits of a free society. It is about helping others meet their needs – that's it idiots. It is not telling me what is good for me and everyone else. You are all worthless fools – republican cowards and democrat Marxist thugs. Go to hell.

• Ty  •  Oct 17, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I definitely think a civil war is brewing. Too many incompatible beliefs and desires between different factions. Michael himself argues against them almost every week on topics like immigration, against those who advocate for mass deportation.

• Greg Pellar  •  Oct 24, 2016 at 8:22 pm

If Trumps Gettysburg address would not move Michael or Ben to vote for Trump they naive to think any conservative agenda will ever be enacted for the rest of their lives. Trump is the only one standing up for their positions. We deserve the government we get. I have tuned out Ben and Michael for a more practical approach put forth by Dennis Prager.

3. Nani  •  Oct 12, 2016 at 9:11 pm

This is how we got here:

1- 9/11 had brought the country together and GW became the leader of not just the nation but the world. I had colleagues from various countries who expected GW to solve all the problems of the world; I had to remind them time and time again that he was the leader of the USA, NOT Britain, NOT Israel, NOT Canada. Geez, even a Hurricane was blamed on GW.

2- From this power, the talk show mafia and Fox tried to rise. One by one I heard previously level headed so called conservatives change: from Laura Ingraham's "how dare the MSM attack a war time president?" to doing it herself when Bush didn't appoint a SCOTUS judge SHE wanted to Hugh Hewitt's "the GOP couldn't get elected after Proposition 187" to jumping on the anti-Hispanic bandwagon. I listened to so called journalist make promises they KNEW could not be kept, then blame it on the "establishment" GOP.

3- From there, the Tea Party arose. And when they didn't over turn Obamacare. Get rid of illegals. Change SCOTUS liberal rulings. The blame went to the GOP who the talk show mafia assured the base, BETRAYED them. But the talk show mafia supposed to have KNOWN better. There IS another party in this country, you know. And the MSM who, like it or not shapes the views of the majority. And while most people will call themselves "conservative", they mean "not flashy", not conservative in ideology. The Tea Party found themselves fighting not just the system but the media.

4- The sad part is that there was a time when talk shows and Fox WERE giving MSM a run for their money. A time so scary to the MSM that they tried to get all kinds of "fair" regulations passed. Only the people who believed the hype of the talk show mafia couldn't wait and to keep control, (and sell books) Coulter, Hannity, Ingraham, O'Reilly, Rush, pushed the blame further, making conservatives what they accused liberals of being: victims. The truly tragic thing about victims. They are angry and terribly unreasonable. They feel "owed" and in their demand for "justice", they are incapable of hearing.

5- Now we have the nominee that this group created: bullying, lying, racist, egotistical, and unbelievably DANGEROUS. The ironic part is Trump is EXACTLY what the MSM and Liberals needed to bring down the talk show hosts and Fox and the only party capable of stopping their liberal agenda. He makes being conservative so ugly that most people will never want to be around them or apart of them.

In marketing we know that most people follow the majority. If a product can be thought of as "cool" and "necessary", then to not buy into the product makes one unpopular and someone to be rejected. This is why "political correctness" works, why people no matter how they feel about gays or minorities will never say anything in public. Very few people have the guts to tell the emperor he has no clothes. Trump does more than shout what many are thinking; he says it BEFORE people can be persuaded that an opposite thought is a right. For a while talk show and Fox was doing just that. They were making the case that the first amendment cut both ways. Trump doesn't care about making a case; he's the finger to the Left AND the Right.

So yeah, the GOP is no longer. And there is no home for those who had come to blame her for everything. They can now go climb in a hole and be happy with their victimization.

• Dexter L. Wilson  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I was listening to Point of View Radio Talk Show. I heard a black lady who put Trump in a perspective that made a lot more sense than these who have negative comments. Read Isaiah 45'1" The Jewish people had been removed from their homeland and the Lord because of their prayers raised up Cyrus the Great and even named him at least 100 years before he was born. The Lord raised him up through their prayers to give the Jews a chance to rebuild and to repent before God and to rebuild Israel. Trump is our Cyrus if you will accept this. You may not like him or his past behavior but who of the e candidates over the past 50 years spoke to we evangelicals and made promises to remove the LBJ Law, named 20 possible jurist replacements and suggested there were more he would consider who were strict constructionist. To protect our nation he promised extreme vetting of the refugees. In the last 5 years Obama has brought in 680,000 Muslims and only 1/2 of 1% of that number were Christians who have suffered at the hands of the Muslims, murder, slavery, rape, subjugation and more. Muslims may have suffered but the Yazidi's, Curds, and the Christians will assimilate but the Muslims will be pushing for Sharia. Hillary praised Khizr Khan about his son. We were not told that Khizr Khan was a lawyer who has been helping Muslims get green cards and visas and that he supports Sharia. Oh sure he said he does not but every chance he has gotten he has stated he supports Islamic Laws for our country. Yes, I would have preferred Ted Cruz who was more an outsider but the people were so fed up with the status quo in Washington they did not want another politician. Like any good business man you can bank on his word. We have seen examples in New York when the political's couldn't get someone to build for them and miserably failed but they contacted Trump he got it built and under budget. Can you do what he does in business? Maybe you can but a businessman is more interested in getting the job done than platitudes as to why he failed. I don't care for his behavior in the past, but how many of you nominal Christians have exemplified his behavior of the past? Before I received a real relationship with the Lord I was weak in Character but I still worked hard in many other areas. Trump has asked for help from Strong Christians and he has gotten that help and he has submitted to their points of view. You can claim the Republican Party is gone, but I for one know one thing. As Jesus said will you leave me too, and I believe it was Peter who asked "where will we go, you have the truth". The Republican Party has become the Party of the People and the Democratic Party has become the Party of special interest. Do you realize what is happening in Venezuela which has become a pure Socialist Country? The people are starving their money is worthless and their government is terrible very close to a description to the old Soviet Union just before it failed. The media has hidden Venezuela from us because they embrace Socialism. Do you want the US to become like Venezuela? Give Trump(Cyrus) a chance.

• Nani  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Did you miss the part about Trump not asking for forgiveness from God because he feels he has done nothing to be forgiven for?

But put aside the obvious non-religiousness of this man, put aside his blatant racism, his ugly bullying, his misogynistic treatment of women, his conning tongue that left an entire city in shambles and thousands unemployed while he claimed almost 2 decades of tax deductions, do you REALLY want to give an insane person the codes to nukes?

Really?

• Jason  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Well said. You may enjoy http://www.redrightandtrue.net

4. Uconn2014  •  Oct 13, 2016 at 12:21 am

I will sit out this one, cannot vote neither! I will vote for senate and congress. We had a great chance with Cruz and the majority of the republican party really made a huge mistake choosing Trump!

• Nani  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Uconn2014, I know alot of people who feel as you do. I am at that point. I feel I must go to the polls and try and keep Congress but I wish I had anyone of those 16 other choices we had back when. I agree, it was a huge mistaken but kind of expected; the talk show mafia and Fox had spun so much hate for the GOP when the promises they (Hannity, Rush, Ingraham, Coulter, O'Reilly, Hewitt) made couldn't be kept and they had to blame somebody; it was only a matter of time before the fires they created and fanned burned the house down.

5. Henry  •  Oct 13, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Alas, there is a simple way to save the nation. All Trump has to do is open the last debate with these words: “I read the news today. Oh boy. About a lucky man who had it made. But the news was rather sad. It said the man was the worst human being since, … Mitt Romney. … And that man was me! … Therefore, I solemnly swear to the following: If elected president, my first official act will be to resign. Thereby, Mike Pence—an outstanding public servant and a man above reproach—will become our president. I do this because I only want to see America great again. I personally do not need to be your president to accomplish this noble goal. … Now, since it is obviously useless to posit any further attacks on my person, let us focus on Hillary Clinton. Shall we begin? … .”

6. Marian Bond  •  Oct 13, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Vote for Evan McMullin running as an Independent. He's running a grassroots campaign and getting name recognition. 10 years with CIA in Mideast plus experience as policy director of GOP, Goldman Sachs investor banker. Knowledge of world affair an economics. He's running because of love of country and because America deserves leaders who put country above themselves.

7. Stan Plewe  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Evan McMullin and Mindy Finn provide a Conservative landing place that speaks to a next step for conservatives. Voting for McMullin will sent Republicans to the polls to vote for the down ballot candidates. When are you planning to interview Evan or Mindy or both? Red State endorsed Evan yesterday. CNN article on Evan's understanding of Syria and ISIS is compelling.
    evanmcmullin.com @Evan_McMullin

8. Donald Poling  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Perhaps you should stop telling people the GOP candidate shouldn't be president if you don't want Republicans to sit out. I love you Michael but you are talking out of both sides of your butt here. You have over a year's worth of telling us why we should not vote for Trump but then you say its a mistake to sit out? Are we supposed to vote for Hillary at the top of the ticket and every Republican below that and hope the down ballot votes stop Hillary from naming liberal activists to the court? You need to make up your mind, Michael. Do you want us to sit out because of Trump or do you want us to mobilize even though there is Trump at the top of the ticket. You got pissed 4 and 8 years ago when people said Romney and McCain were not conservative enough and yet that is the song you sing now. These mixed message are causing confusion. When there's mist in the pulpit there is fog in the pews. Make a decision… do we wholeheartedly embrace Trump and all other Republican primary winners or do we abandon the party?

• Ty  •  Oct 17, 2016 at 1:15 pm

It's definitely a mixed message. But I think it all boils down to an old saying. Every man has his price. The price of not voting for Romney for some was him not being sufficiently conservative. Michael made it seem there was no price that could be levied that would prevent HIM from supporting the republican candidate, but Trump was that price. A price he would not pay. We all have limits, and now we know Michaels.

9. Gregg Francisco  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Thank you Michael for being consistent. Our part seems to be lacking in consistency of late. I believe I am at my "final decision" and as a conservative Republican will be voting for Clinton in this election. It will be the first time ever voting for a Democrat, but believe her to be less destructive than Donald Trump. I urge all my fellow conservatives and Republicans to do the same. I'm assuming we will loose the Senate, and possibly even the house and the next couple years will be treacherous, yet hopefully, if we can get our act together, we can regain the house in '18 and prepare for the coming next presidential bid, by then we'll be well past the gropping days of The Donald.

• Nani  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Greg, I "hear" the sadness in your words. I am sorry.

• Rizzo  •  Oct 26, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Nani… I hear the stupidity in your words.

• Rizzo  •  Oct 28, 2016 at 7:49 am

You're a liar. You may have been a Republican, but you were NEVER A CONSERVATIVE.
      You're a misguided fool.

10. Dexter L. Wilson  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 6:02 pm

One last thing, If you have not seen the two videos about Hillary and the Democratic Party, you must. I requested Red Box to put "Hillary's America", a video about the Democratic Party and Hillary's Foundation, in their Kiosks. In my city they put it in every kiosk so people where I am can see what that Party is really like. Check and see if your Red Box in your towns and cities have it and if they do, tell your friends to watch it. Also, on You Tube, watch "Clinton Cash" and you will see what you are opening our country up to. Bury your hatchet in the Democratic Party and not Trump. Swallow your hypocrisy, and self Righteousness and Vote for Trump!

11. Nick M  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 6:21 pm

This election is bigger than the persons involved. It is all about the Supreme Court. A vote for Clinton will accelerate the destructive trajectory the nation is on and result in a generational progressive majority. For that reason alone, I have voted for Trump. Check your self-righteousness at the door and do what's best for the nation.l

• James Hohman  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Thanks I fully agree with you. Jim

• Nani  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Sorry Nick, Trump's disregard for the constitution, law, and judges has invalidated that card. Hillary may push for a liberal agenda but she WILL work within the system which means we CAN stop her through congressional hearings and laws. Trump doesn't believe in the system. He has shown over and over that he believes that the courts are there to do his bidding.

It isn't self-righteousness that has to be parked at the door; it's the answer to this question: do you hate Hillary more than you love America?

• Rizzo  •  Oct 26, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Ah Nani… I find it strangely comforting to see your ludicrous posts.
        However, you are totally predictable fraud.
        So, you think the "System" will stop her? The very same system that has allowed her to
        get away with Benghazi, whitewater and to violate the espionage act??? You are either willfully misleading people, or are purposefully stupid.
        You are a total fraud…. Any action that enables Hillary to be President of the United States is a betrayal to everything that has made America exceptional.

• karen hong  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I agree with you Nick. Trump has a good list of potential Supreme Court justices. All Hillary wants is to be the first female U.S. President. She cares nothing about the US. She is above the law and even has the FBI wrapped around her little finger.

12. karen hong  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 7:46 pm

If Hillary gets to choose the Supreme Court justices this country is finished. There will be no more freedom of speech or anything else. Her justices won't care what the constitution says, only what feels right to them. Nani, Hillary will not work within the system, she will work above the system because she is above the law. Look at everything she has done and the law has done nothing about it.

• Nani  •  Oct 17, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Karen, if Trump gets the nuke codes, this nation is finished and so is the world. What part of "I am going to bomb them!" you did not get?

• Rizzo  •  Oct 26, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Fraud… You are a total fraud.

• Rizzo  •  Oct 26, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Karen… You are TOTALLY correct.
      Nani is a total, shortsighted fraud.
      She's a LIBTARD plant.

13. Patricia Dunn  •  Oct 14, 2016 at 10:27 pm

If for no other reason, a vote for Trump
    will insure we have a chance at a more Constitutionally held Supreme Court, and the chance to restore a healthier more conservative government for the PEOPLE RATHER THAN SPECIAL INTERESTS who unfortunately run our government at this time in history! Michael, I so appreciate your intelligence and common sense! There is so little of this available to the general public these days!!

14. Robert Rouillard  •  Oct 15, 2016 at 4:05 am

My only concern is this as a Christian, let us remember 2009? "He watches over a nation and over man alike, setting up a godless man as king, because of the stubbornness of the people." (SGV Job 34:29) Shall we repeat it again with Hillary in 2017? Just recently read that Wiki-leaks dump: Top Clinton aides mock Catholicism, Evangelicals Christianity.

15. Henry  •  Oct 17, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Some food for thought: In mid-November 2008, one would have thought that Hillary Clinton had no better chance of ever becoming the nation's president than the Chicago Cubs had of winning a World Series. … Uh oh!!!

16. Arlee Bird  •  Oct 21, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Just vote Trump! We know what Hillary will try to do and will probably be successful at doing because of our weak ineffective Congress. If Donald Trump accomplishes a fraction of what he says he will do and turns Washington inside out and upside down then it will be the most good that any president has done in a long time and maybe ever. Vote Trump if you love America! Otherwise bow down to the globalist Hillary Clinton whose aim is to fulfill the vision of Saul Alinsky. That would be the worst nightmare and the end of the American Dream.

Hear what Michael has to say about Health Markets