Something for Both Sides to Celebrate

Supporters for Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis celebrate during his midterm election night party in Orlando, Florida, U.S. November 6, 2018. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

The mid-term elections provided a rare occasion for conservatives and liberals, Republicans and Democrats, to look at the same events and feel a shared sense of satisfaction and encouragement.

Republicans feel good about expanding their Senate majority and holding key governorships in Florida, Ohio, and elsewhere. Democrats take pride in capturing the House and flipping governorships in Illinois, Michigan and more. Republicans won big races in deep blue states like Massachusetts and Vermont; Democrats gained ground in GOP strongholds like Kansas and South Carolina.

Americans know how to split tickets: in Maryland, Republican Governor Larry Hogan and Democratic Senator Ben Cardin both won simultaneous landslides.

Though we tend to divide between GOP red and Democratic blue, Trump-haters vs. Trump true-believers, the election returns prove that Americans still care most about local issues plus the character and competence of their candidates.

1. Ty needs counseling  •  Nov 8, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Michael Medved, always the eternal optimist even to the point of arguments that don't really make sense.

2. Rizzo  •  Nov 9, 2018 at 10:02 am

Ty wants to cry about so-called “hate”, and “racism”, and blah, blah, blah…. but, it’s the left, and their modern-day Lynch mobs that EVERYONE should be concerned about.
    EVERYBODY denounces “white nationalists”, but Antifa is supported and encouraged by TOP ELECTED DEMOCRATS to conduct hits on people with which they don’t agree.
    They are truly despicable. It’s the actions of a group, that lacks the intellect to make valid arguments.

Antifa expands its hit list as political violence escalates

3. Jim Bird  •  Nov 9, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Miami/Broward found an extra 70 thousand ballots 98% Democrats. Scott and Desantis lose in a close one. Michael’s solution “….. work harder next time.” I’m through with Republicans. I’m through with pictures of Nazis doing selfies. I’m pro-American and therefore pro-Trump. When does the killing stop, Michael. Americans will never wait for the “crystal night.” Marshal law now reigns since rule of law no longer exists. The Nazis are on the move and Michael sits on his assets ignoring the silence of the lamb Republicans meekly giving up in hopes of getting some of Pelosi’s crumbs. I will fight for my family and my country until death do us part you lazy, arrogant cowards called Republicans.

• Nani Tavares  •  Nov 10, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Oh Jim, I share your frustration. I have written off the Left which was heart breaking as I always believed that they had some decency in them. But I still look toward the Right as I believe they are like I was, clinging to the idea that somehow we Americans can come together. Kavanaugh, what's happening with the Dems trying to steal the election, and the sheer ugliness of the media, academia, and entertainment is showing conservatives that there can be no peace. Like all bullies, the Left needs to be taken down; they need to realize that there is a price to pay for their actions.

• Rizzo  •  Nov 10, 2018 at 5:17 pm

They just keep counting, they just keep looking for phantom votes until they win…. then they’re done.
        The left can not accept losing. They are the worst.

Oh…. don’t forget, after all that, then they protest like whiney-ass bitches.

WORST!

• Rizzo  •  Nov 11, 2018 at 8:43 am

Here is how completely despicable and desperate the left is.

Outrage As Broward County Allows Parkland School Shooter To Vote

4. Jim Bird  •  Nov 11, 2018 at 10:03 am

Nani and Rizzo,

I love reading your commentaries and I love you guys because you not cowards, you love your families and your country and all likeminded people around the world. You judge people by the content, and conduct, of their character unlike the majority of Dems and the cowardly Republicans. Everyone knows Trump is our last best hope for America and the world. The majority of Americans understand this and will never allow the Marxists to count ballots or overthrow the country. Again thank you for all you do. Jim

5. Jim Bird  •  Nov 12, 2018 at 8:56 am

MEDVED,

Hello, are you there, do you read these commentaries. Just a heads up – DEMS just overthrew Arizona. Tell Republicans to f___ themselves. Tell your terrorist friends in the other Party Americans are on the way to save the day. BTW, good riddance to the Republican Party.

6. Rizzo  •  Nov 12, 2018 at 11:09 am

Dems took the house.
    Did anyone notice all the scumbag Republicans rioting in the streets, destroying private property?

Yeah, me neither.

7. Nani Tavares  •  Nov 12, 2018 at 9:59 pm

Jim, about the Arizona lost. It's frustrating as all get out BUT, did we really have Arizona? First there was McCain and Flake. At least this senator will wear the correct label. I'm not as mad at the GOP as I am at America. After all the Dems have done and they STILL got voted for. How heartbreakingly sad. If the rest of the senate doesn't get stolen, I hope the GOP realize they owe their hold on to power to Trump and backs him. He will be in for 2 years of attacks and obstruction. I hear about the liberals always over reaching and how that will hurt them. Well, they over reached and more with Kavanaugh and still people voted for the mob backed liberals. I have gone from depressed to downright livid. I do not like a lot of people right now.

• Jim Bird  •  Nov 13, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I see and agree with all your points Nani. Thank you again for your commentaries. Take care.

8. Steven Brown  •  Nov 13, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I must say I enjoy reading the delusional comments I see posted here. Unfortunately, the delusions get in the way of having a serious discussion of the issues.

• Rizzo  •  Nov 13, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Wow…. that’s a serious contribution

• Jim Bird  •  Nov 13, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Mr. Brown,

I formally apologize for my insensitive remarks, racist comments, transgender transgressions and outright rudeness, after all I am a product of white privilege. It is the cross I must bear and therefore I will never besmirch another “commenter” or stain these hallowed columns again because now I truly understand and see the light of your brilliant eloquence. Thank you, Mr. Brown.