Stop the Impeachment Daydreams!

Democrats who prattle endlessly about impeaching President Trump are deluding themselves and damaging the country. Not only do they lack convincing evidence of impeachable “high crimes and misdemeanors” but they also possess no understanding of the lessons of history.
Only three presidents have confronted serious impeachment proceedings: Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton. In each of those situations, the embattled president faced a hostile Congress, with House and Senate overwhelmingly controlled by the opposition party. In none of those cases, did the accused president lose the support of his own party’s representatives. Even Nixon, who eventually resigned from office, retained backing from a majority of Republicans when the Judiciary Committee took its famous vote.

To remove Trump from office would take every single Democratic Senator, plus 19 of the 52 Republicans-​-​an impossibility in an age of partisanship. Instead of indulging toxic impeachment daydreams, Democrats should wake up and try to work with the president, whatever his imperfections.

1. Harlan  •  Jun 2, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Indeed.

• Will  •  Jun 4, 2017 at 5:46 am

Is he impeachable today? No. But there are new revelations coming out almost daily and what is being investigated, possible collusion with Russia, makes all other impeachments, including Watergate, look like yawners. The Democrats should work with Trump despite his imperfections? He is dangerous and incompetent. Babbling classified information in an offhand manner to the Russians, if Obama did that you folks would be screaming bloody murder. I think the way things are headed it is quite possible Trump will eventually be impeached even with a Republican Congress. Say hello to President Pence.

• Jason  •  Jun 7, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Uh, yeah. Even if everything you say is accurate, I believe Mr. Medved's point still holds true. The idea that not only have democratic representatives been wasting time talking about impeachment like yelling boo, we now have one that is writing impeachment papers. To your own point, he is not impeachable now. Based on this, our representatives should stop damaging our country and focus on reality. Instead they are acting like fools.

2. Christina Landree  •  Jun 7, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Michael first I want to let you know I listen to your program everyday or at least I try to and I really enjoy listening to your commentary but there is something you need to understand I am neither Democrat or Republican I am a right down the middle independent and I called you several times during Donald Trump's campaign and I asked you when he was going to start serving the meat and potatoes instead of the hors d'oeuvres. I painfully listen to

3. Christina Landree  •  Jun 7, 2017 at 7:28 pm

listen to three debates and some of his campaign speeches and at no time did he say how he was going to pay for infrastructure Healthcare and other things like that it was the same old rhetoric over and over Hillary's bad the media is bad the countries in horrible shape and none of that was true. yes Hillary had baggage but Donald Trump had more baggage I know you did not support him nor did I but it pains me when you say the Democrats produced nothing of substance yet at the same time you said Donald Trump gave us lots of information on what he was going to do and how he was going to pay for it and that is not true but the problem I have with Trump now is his tweeting his alienating our allies but most of all the fact that he puts out his own fake news and he lies constantly. I do not want to see him impeached but I do think he needs to be removed from office and I have an idea to run by you. My idea is this you take all of Congress both sides of the aisle all of the Senate and whatever members of the justice department that can be spared and you fly them to a private island that has no cell towers and no satellite coverage. They spend an entire day talking about Trump but more than likely it's going to be a lot of arguing so be it whatever it takes comma

4. Christina Landree  •  Jun 7, 2017 at 7:36 pm

sorry I keep pushing the wrong button but you put these men and women on this island with no possibility of leaks or any press coverage or any White House members are allowed. Like I said they discussed Trump all day and at the end of the day they vote for one oftwo things: either Trump takes a Handler or a person who can control him and his stupid tweets and keep him from shooting himself in the foot or he resigns for the good of the country. He needs to learn how to behave himself and not act like a two year old throwing a tantrum or a six year old taking his ball home because we won't listen to him. We are so tired of his BS that it's sickening. If we paint him in the corner and only give him those two choices it's up to him which way he goes but he only gets those two choices. If he refuses to take a Handler or refuses to resign they should force him to resign for the good of the country. Now I don't know the Constitution well enough to know whether that can be done but we need to do something because Donald Trump is ruining America he's an embarrassment to us constantly and it's getting old. Can you tell me what you think of my plan please? Thank you for your time and I love your program. Keep being fair and keep up the good fight my friend.