The “Change Agent” Takes Charge

The best way to understand Donald Trump’s astonishing electoral victory is to look at the public interest and excitement surrounding his inauguration. Imagine if Hillary Clinton had won the election: would her upcoming assumption of power have generated this level of interest and controversy? If we were counting down the days to a Clinton-Kaine presidency, the nation might not feel terrified, but we’d definitely feel bored: Hillary lost because she promised no meaningful change from the dysfunctional excesses of the Obama years.

Enough voters in key states wanted something profoundly different—a change agent who would shake things up. They cared more about shattering the rules of political correctness than about shattering glass ceilings.

Trump, so far, is giving them what they wanted—a style of leadership that’s unpredictable, unconventional, maybe a bit unsteady and impulsive but never, ever dull. Whether or not the new President “makes America great again” he’s already made politics exciting again.

1. Nani  •  Jan 5, 2017 at 7:07 pm

If I recall, "change" was what America wanted when they elected Obama.

2. Janet Lively  •  Jan 7, 2017 at 7:45 am

First saw you & your book on O'Reilly & had to have the book! Only through chapt 2, but totally love it! As history buff & student I have run across some stories but love having them all together. I am sure that you can see 'hand of Providence' in election of Donald Trump!! So looking forward to his presidency! (I am retired & have never seen such a divisive and deceitful president as we have now!). Thanks for your insight & book.

3. Harvey Homan  •  Jan 7, 2017 at 9:42 am

I still have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. Mrs. Clinton had everything going for her, the media, welfare state voters, Hollywood, our terrible education system, the socialist-communist state universities. I'd lost faith and thought the country would continue to decline and decay. I was glad to be a senior citizen, but fearful for my children and grand children. And then Trump pulled off a miracle. I truly believe this is America's last chance to turn things around and we'd damned well better.

• Jim Bird  •  Jan 12, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I agree Mr. Homan 1000%.

• Starfire  •  Jan 13, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Agree with everything you said but I'm NOT optimistic about our future. MORE people voted for hillary. Thank goodness for the electoral college.

4. Tru  •  Jan 7, 2017 at 3:21 pm

A brain tumor is also an agent of change.

• Jim Bird  •  Jan 12, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Lie, you keep repeating yourself as libs always do.

5. Vernon Hurlbert  •  Jan 17, 2017 at 12:53 am

EIGHT YEARS AGO I WAS WAITING FOR A PLANE TO BOARD FOR SALT LAKE AND YOU WERE STANDING THERE AND SAW ME
    WITH A JOHN MCAIN BUTTON ON AND YOU SAID "I LIKE YOUR BUTTON". I SAID THANX BUT HE IS RUNNING A TERRIBLE
    CAMPAIGN. YOU GAVE ME A SURPRISED LOOK. ROMNEY DIDN'T DO ANY BETTER. THEY WERE SCARED TO DEATH OF BEING
    CALLED A RACEST. TRUMP WASN'T ONE ETHER BUT WHEN THEY WOULD CALL HIM ONE HE WOULD HIT BACK TWICE AS
    HARD. HE NEVER WOULD BE OUT DONE. HE WAS A WORKAHOLIC. HARDLY SLEPT. I'M A POLITICAL JUNKY BUT I COULD SEE
    WHAT HE WAS DOING AND I CALLED IT FOR HIM A YEAR AND A HALF AGO AND I TOOK SEVERAL BETS ON IT FROM PEOPLE
    THAT WERE GOING TO VOTE FOR HIM BUT DIDN'T BELIEVE HE COULD WIN. IF YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN YOU HAVE TO MAKE
    IT A BLOOD SPORT JUST LIKE THE DEMS DO BUT DO IT HARDER. HAPPY NEW YEAR