“The Dogs Bark, the Caravan Moves On”

As a candidate, Donald Trump used a nifty slogan—”Make America Great Again”—to connect the different themes of his agenda. Approaching the end of his first year in office, he needs another slogan to focus on important goals while avoiding destructive distractions.

Perhaps we need a sign on the president’s desk, citing the old Arab proverb: “The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.” Of course, President Trump receives plenty of vicious criticism, some of it undeserved. But our most successful presidents avoided striking back at such cheap shots, preferring to answer unfair criticism with undeniable achievements.

Imagine, for instance, how much damage could have been avoided had the president simply ignored the showboating Congresswoman who complained over his private call to a grieving war widow.

Churchill penned his own version of the Middle Eastern saying the president should take to heart. He declared: “You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”

(Visited 1 times, 32 visits today)

1. Peter Stuart  •  Oct 24, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Shakespeare had a similar, and I think more charming version:
    "Let Hercules himself do what he may,
    The cat will mew and the dog will have his day.

2. Nani Tavares  •  Oct 24, 2017 at 3:43 pm

I completely disagree. Taking the high road and saying nothing is precisely why the race card works and transgender and attacks on our churches has become accepted. One of the things I do when coming up on a subject I feel strongly about is "warn" people that I WILL reject their narrative and that if they insist on going down this road, they had better be prepared for a fight. The minute they start in on the "free speech" card, I hold up my hand and remind them that I too have a fs card and WILL use it. Most times, they only have to "debate" me once to learn that I will NOT give respect unless I am given respect.

Trump does what many of us have learned to do since childhood school yards, hit back and hit HARD. As much as I loved other leaders and enjoyed their statesmen like class, I am grateful to have a slugger like Trump in the political ground we are in right now.

• Rizzo  •  Oct 24, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Nani… You are absolutely correct. These times require a "slugger", and slugger is what we got!
      I'm tired of our so-called statesmen bringing a knife to a gunfight…. metaphorically speaking.

• Douglas DuBrin  •  Oct 25, 2017 at 11:57 am

On one point, you are resoundingly right: Trump is behaving like a child in a schoolyard brawl. Should I remind you, though, that our democracy is not a playground, and our president is not supposed to behave like an impetuous, vile, impudent, aggressive, uncobttollable, explosive, pig-headed kid? Please open your eyes to reality –we have a horrid, dangerous, unqualified demagogue at our helm.

• Nani Tavares  •  Oct 25, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Sigh. I bet you're one of those, let's get rid of our nukes and see if others will follow kind of "intellect". May I remind YOU that it is NOT conservatives that turned our political world into a childish bullying playground? For decades, the Left has lied and pushed and twisted every definition until reality became a four letter word. We tried to deal with the Left like fellow adults, only to find big kids, spoilt and ungrateful. I love what Rizzo said about coming to a gunfight armed with only a knife. That's us, for far too long.

It would be wonderful Douglas Dubrin, if the Left really wanted peace and cooperation; but they are so busy hating and trying to demand what they refuse to give that being cordial with them is impossible.

There was what many considered the most smartest person on earth and she was asked why there can't be peace. She answered that for some, there are more important things, like freedom. I don't know if you spent your childhood kowtowing to the bullies in the hope of not being beaten up and has carried that mentality into adulthood, but it is YOU that need to open your eyes to reality. The world is NOT nice and they won't stop trying to kill you, take away your liberty, and control you if you kiss their butt. Sorry, but the only way to stop a bully is to make sure you are the LAST person he wants to pick on. Geez, if you don't know that by now, you'll never learn it. The ultra sad part is probably neither will your kids. They will allow someone to die for their freedom and for the rights and privileges they enjoy. Somewhere in the pit of their stomach, when the layers of justification are spread a little thin, they will also feel SHAME.

• Rizzo  •  Oct 25, 2017 at 3:32 pm

What's so disappointing is that perhaps the dogs that bark loudest are not even Democrats. Many are totally misguided "Republicans", like Michael Medved.
        He is obsessed with nitpicking our side, while pandering to and making excuses for our political opponents.
        He needs to come out of the closet, like those he supports… none of which could ever even be broadly considered conservative.

3. Nani Tavares  •  Oct 24, 2017 at 5:55 pm

If Trump had not pushed back, they would have continued to nail him until their narrative would be seen as truth and we all know that. Instead as with the NFL when Trump used the patriotic card to "trump" the race card, a gold star father come forward to stand up for Trump and change the narrative. And yes, the wife of a dead soldier is sad, but you know what "beats" that card? A parent who lost their child. Most people get that wives and girlfriends are never truly part of the family, not in the way that their own child is, no matter how much the parent loves the in-law. So the death of a son is something that more people can relate to and does indeed trump the death of a spouse that can be divorced. It is the ONLY thing that does match or beat the weeping widow card.

4. Jim Bird  •  Oct 25, 2017 at 11:54 am

Yes, Nani and Rizzo! Great points. I have one question for Michael – If the FBI and Justice Dept. accidentally shred, bleach-bit, lose their files on Obama and the Clinton’s that they’ve been stonewalling on for years, will you Michael continue to defend them, not speak about it, call it an unexpected accident?

5. Fungah!  •  Nov 7, 2017 at 3:17 am

There's a method to Trumps madness. He operates under the assumption that all publicity is good publicity. He uses the media to distract while he moves his agenda forward. He won the primary by manipulating the media.

While I don't always like his style, I do recognize his strategic genius.

• Fungah!  •  Nov 7, 2017 at 3:20 am

Perhaps I should elaborate. He won the primary and manipulated the media into providing him free airtime. It was entertaining to watch all those talking heads who loathed him essentially fund his campaign while he pulled their strings.