The Evidence for Faith

I recently received an e-mail from a thoughtful listener who challenged my commitment to faith and God. “You’re a smart person,” she wrote, “who emphasizes evidence and logic. How then, can you give such importance in your life to something illogical for which there is no evidence.”

My answer described my experience getting involved in traditional observance of my Jewish faith when I was in my early twenties. When I began praying every day, and then observing the sabbath, my life dramatically improved. That’s the best evidence available, and it’s been demonstrated also by most of the committed Christians that I know who can also testify to the way faith enriches and improves their lives.

As C.S. Lewis famously observed: “I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn’t change God. It changes me.”

1. Kent Devine  •  Aug 16, 2018 at 10:25 pm

Your comments on faith struck home for me. Now that I'm retired, I start the day with Mass.

2. Reason  •  Aug 17, 2018 at 12:35 am

Interesting news of late about the ‘evidence of faith’ (stupid bromide), in Pennsylvania. And we thought the scandal peaked a few years back. Ha. More to cum.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 17, 2018 at 11:21 am

That’s a good one, Harvey Weinstein!

3. Tru  •  Aug 21, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Why does anybody need proof that faith exists? There is evidence of it everywhere. Devoted Christians, Muslims, Hindi, Jews all have faith. This is a confusing column as people have faith in all sorts of things, but it doesn't make those things true or real.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 21, 2018 at 3:07 pm

Nor does your lack of faith, and empty/hollow existence prove or disprove anything true or real.

So what’s your point?

• tru  •  Aug 22, 2018 at 12:11 pm

What is that keeps you informed about my existence, and what it is like for me? The fact that you are so comfortable making peurile assumptions, however, says much about you.

• tru  •  Aug 22, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Your childish assumptions about me tell me that you have little to offer any conversation.

4. Rizzo  •  Aug 21, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Ty…. do you finally understand?
    Authorities: Iowa student killed by Mexican in US illegally

• Tru  •  Aug 22, 2018 at 12:31 pm

In one of many studies on violent crime, “Does Undocumented Immigration Increase Violent Crime?,” which was published in the journal Criminology in March, a look at the influx of undocumented immigrants into communities in recent decades and concluded, “Increased concentrations of undocumented immigrants are associated with statistically significant decreases in violent crime.”

• Rizzo  •  Aug 22, 2018 at 1:37 pm

You can attach any study you want.
        I’m sure it will make you feel totally justified in supporting a country with no borders.
        But, no study and nobody can ever dispute the FACT, that if this monster was kept out of our country, Molly would still be alive.
        To leftists, like you, it’s acceptable collateral damage.
        You people are SICK!

• Rizzo  •  Aug 23, 2018 at 8:19 am

Tru

Just try to put aside your desire for a country and a world without borders, for a minute.
        And try to let logic takeover. How can illegal immigration possibly lead to "statistically significant decreases in violent crime"?
        If even just one illegal alien commits a violent crime, then that contributes to an increase. Let's pretend that American citizens commit violent crime at a much higher rate than illegal aliens… lets say, for every 1 violent crime that an illegal alien commits, a US citizen commits 10. The net violent crime total is 11. If, we actually enforced our immigration law, we could prevent that 1 violent crime, which would result in a net 10 violent crimes… or a reduction. And, in this case, Mollie could still be alive.

Do you invite strangers into your house? I don't. Inviting a stranger into your house is insanely dangerous… The very same LOGIC is why we don't invite strangers into our country. It is dangerous, and it has caused disastrous results.

5. Don Belding III  •  Aug 24, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Mollie was not kept alive by a statistic; she was murdered by an illegal alien. Had he not been there, she would still be happily alive. How many more Kates, Mollies, and others before we do something effective about illegal entry and visa over-stays to protect us from those who should NOT be here. In memory of those who have been murdered by illegals, contact your Congressional representative and demand that effective measures be done. I have; you can too.

• Tru  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Do feel as concerned about American citizens who have been killed as the result of lax gun control? Are they collateral damage?

• Rizzo  •  Aug 29, 2018 at 10:56 am

Show me where someone was killed as a direct result of “lax gun control laws”.
        Are you really this stupid?

• Rizzo  •  Aug 29, 2018 at 11:03 am

You leftists NEVER cease to amaze me. Your knee-jerk reaction is to make sure that US citizens are “appropriately” denied their 2nd. Amendment RIGHT, while you defend ILLEGAL ALIENS “right” to infiltrate America.
        The left are infected with an apparent incurable disease.

6. Heraldo  •  Aug 25, 2018 at 8:32 pm

I became a follower of Christ when I was 26, my life turned around. From anxiety and failure to peace and success. Faith in God is the path to a successful life.

7. so weak  •  Aug 27, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Michael Medved doing his best W Bush impression here. He is challenged to provide logic and evidence for the existence of God and he gives a subjective personal experience in response. There are many logical proofs for the existence of God just as there is a lot of evidence for the existence of God.

The fact that this girl thinks that belief in God is illogical just shows what a poor education she received, if any. And there is no doubt, that when she says there is no evidence for God, she doesn't even understand the argument she is parroting. There is much evidence for God. I think what she means is there is no scientific evidence for God. Not sure why Michael repeats challenges from anti-religious bigots if he can't at least answer their weak objections.

• Tru  •  Aug 28, 2018 at 6:59 pm

I would be genuinely interested in reading your logical proofs for the existence of God.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 29, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Since when, did leftists become interested in anything “logical”?
        There may be hope for you, yet.

8. Gato  •  Sep 1, 2018 at 4:39 am

Existence is proof of God.

• Rizzo  •  Sep 1, 2018 at 11:55 am

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
      Nobody and no "scientific" theory has ever offered a better alternative explanation.
      And yet, they are not even the slightest bit open to the possibility of God or some kind of intelligent design.
      Leftists are close-minded fools!