The Presidency: No Laughing Matter

U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump reacts after filing his declaration of candidacy to appear on the New Hampshire primary ballot in the Secretary of State's office in Concord, New Hampshire, November 4, 2015.  REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Donald Trump’s appearance as host of Saturday Night Live generated big ratings, but did it help his pursuit of the presidency? If you believe his top priority must be to convince the public that he’s serious about the world’s biggest job, the answer is that SNL probably hurt more than it helped.

On NBC, he looked more comfortable delivering carefully-scripted lines with hip comedians on a studio set than he does in unscripted debates with his fellow candidates, highlighting his decades-long background with Broadway and Hollywood. That’s not the preparation that normally would reassure uncertain conservatives.

Meanwhile, his funniest skit on SNL showed the Trump White House in 2018, with all the nation’s foreign and domestic problems suddenly solved. When asked how he did it, “President Trump” shrugs and says it was magic, inexplicable. It doesn’t help a candidate’s credibility when a TV vision of his presidency is treated as a joke.

1. Barbara  •  Nov 14, 2015 at 10:02 am

Can someone tell me why Mark Levin and Rush, are ok with Trump, as our candidate.
    What am I missing? I am confused .

2. Jim Bird  •  Nov 14, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Because he’s nor a liar or a politician. Contrary to MSM opinion (lies) we are in WWIII now and our economy is on life support as well as the world economy. He knows business, he loves people and his country, he has common sense unlike the current occupant in the White House.

• Barbara  •  Nov 15, 2015 at 8:07 am

Hi Jim, thank you for your reply. I just don’t see it. He doesn’t share the values of a true conservative. He is alienating a huge voting block that should be on our side. ( the Latino vote) they are hard working Americans that love their family and are many times following a catholic faith. But besides that, he is not only insulting women , but his latest rant on Carson , was just bizarre . I’ll vote for him,if he’s our candidate , but I would much prefer to see a Rubio or Cruz .this is so very depressing to me . I believe the republicans are acting like democrats , they are going by “emotion” when it comes to trump.

3. Jim Bird  •  Nov 15, 2015 at 8:53 am

I agree, he’s not a true conservative like you and me, but he’s a trillion percent better than Obama or Hillary. Marco is my choice, head and shoulders, but if Trump were somehow able to get the nomination, I would vote for him just for the survival of the Republic instead of not voting or being a fool by voting third party. I should’ve stated that more clearly. Thank you.

• Barbara  •  Nov 15, 2015 at 9:09 am

I’ll vote for him,if he’s our candidate. 🙁

4. Ben Avery Ware  •  Nov 18, 2015 at 12:47 am

H.W. scanned a can at a grocery store while Bill Clinton played a saxophone (and balanced budgets to the point of retiring all 30 year Treasurys). You speak of wanting to reach the Millennials while maintaining decorum. How?

5. Bogdan Krumer  •  Nov 24, 2015 at 5:13 pm

While Trump might be better than Clinton, I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that IF Trump is the republican nominee it will reflect negatively on the Republican party.

free autographed copy of Michael Medved's new book