Death of A Nation DVD Advertisement

The President Can Act Immediately to Launch a “War on Waste”

U.S. President Donald Trump waves from Air Force One, October 4, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis

In the last weeks before November’s crucial election, President Trump should make bold moves to address a looming crisis that most politicians prefer to ignore: soaring budget deficits and a crushing national debt.

A new group, OpenTheBooks.com, calls for a “War on Waste” to curb the outrageous spending, like squandering a million dollars to prepare religions for the discovery of extraterrestrial life, or another million for sex ed for prostitutes in California.

The best way to curb outrageous waste of taxpayer dollars is transparency. Open The Books suggests that President Trump immediately begin posting on-line every cent the White House spends, and order that every other federal department do the same. Then he can command that each federal department cut at least 5%. These executive actions would provide major steps toward a leaner, more efficient, less costly federal government.

1. Jim Bird  •  Oct 8, 2018 at 9:44 pm

I think this commentary to be
    the most important I shall ever see.
    Coming from Michael’s balanced mind
    never better, more profound will I ever find!

GIVE AMERICANS THE PERCENTAGE SPENDING BREAKDOWNS FOR THE COST OF GOVERNMENT ON A WEEKLY BASIS. TRUMP IS THE PERFECT MAN TO SHOW THE HORRENDOUS SPENDING WHICH YOU AND I F___ING PAY FOR THROUGH THE NOSE.

GIVE US A WEEKLY PROFIT AND LOSS STATEMENT. AMERICANS BALANCE THEIR BOOKS EVERY DAY, BUSINESSES EVERY WEEK, THE GOVERNMENT NEVER. AND IT’S MY DAMN MONEY, YOU JERKS. A NEW GALLUP POLE SHOWS 92% of REPUBLICANS and 79% of INDEPENDENTS DON’T TRUST GOVT.

Enough with the DC BS, STATE MONARCHIES – open your f___ing books and show me how you’re investing my money for my future. No more stonewalling, no more political speak, no more reaching across the aisles. Follow Trump’s lead Republicans – RIGHT NOW! JUST DO IT NOW WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A LITTLE COURAGE LEFT FROM YOUR KAVANAUGH WIN.

• james  •  Oct 11, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Really…..all the grifting Drumpf and his associates do? We can even get Drumpf to make visitor logs available GTFO….

• Jim Bird  •  Oct 11, 2018 at 7:23 pm

James,
        Are you Ty’s speech writer? There’s help you can get for that lisp.

• democrats are degenerates (look up the definition and you will agree)  •  Oct 11, 2018 at 11:32 pm

I don't know if that is true or not, but Trump is not unique in trying to keep white house visitors secret. I guess you don't have access to google? And calling him Drumpf is very immature. His family changed their name at some point. It is now Trump. Are you 3 years old?

• Ty  •  Oct 16, 2018 at 4:36 pm

I am all for seeing where our money is spent. Other countries tend to have better breakdowns on where our tax dollars go. But let's not pretend that would soothe your restless soul. The moment you saw any of your tax dollars going to the tiniest sliver of spending you disagreed with, you'd no doubt start throwing feces at the wall.

And the terrible realization would hit you again and again… oh no, horror of horrors, what government spends money on is about more than JUST what me myself and "I" want it to be spent on. The realization that you do not live alone on an island, you are not alone, and that worst of all, other people exist in this world and nation with as much of a say if not more than you that have different priorities than you do.

And in that despair, I want you to calm your seizure inducing tantrum, look around you and see that the sun is still shining, and that you still live better than 99% of every human being that has ever lived on this earth. Less stateless freedom from, but a thousand fold more freedom to.

It won't be enough, the nature of a certain strain of conservatism is to rail against civilization and modernity, but at least you might have brief moments of sanity away from your own prison like mindset.

• Ty needs help  •  Oct 16, 2018 at 8:32 pm

What you have posted here isn't witty, isn't funny, isn't intelligent, isn't interesting, and isn't grounded in reality. Is this the best you can do? I thought you were intelligent. I was wrong. An intelligent person would not post such mindless drivel. And BTW, there is an ideology that throws urine and feces. It isn't conservatives.

2. democrats are degenerates (look up the definition and you will agree)  •  Oct 11, 2018 at 11:45 pm

I like the way Medved is so full of advice for Trump. If Trump had followed Medved's advice, we would have President Hillary and Merrick Garland and a newly minted far-left, anti-American justice on the Supreme Court. Medved couldn't even muster the courage to vote for Trump because he was too scared. Medved, stick to history programs and pop culture.

• Rizzo  •  Oct 12, 2018 at 10:52 am

Totally agree!

• Ty  •  Oct 16, 2018 at 4:58 pm

You are right. Michaels strategy would not have won the day. What Trump realized consciously or not, is that the republican base is motivated much less on policy ideas, and more about cultural fears and animosities. Before Trump there was a period of decades where one needed to dog whistle to appeal to the baser natures of the conservative base. Trump swapped out the whistle for a megaphone and the base flocked to him like rats to cheese.

His explicit appeals to the immigrant other teeming with rapists and criminals touched the hearts and souls and true beliefs of so many cultural conservatives and they rallied to his cause. Conservatives needed that kind of appeal to win the day, they can't on issues. They are less policy issue focused in general.

Look at this data from PEW

HYPER focused on illegal immigration (IDENTITY – us vs them issue)
      terrorism (external threat)
      and it was not on the list but I'll give conservatives one actual policy issue on making abortions illegal in many states by overturning roe vs wade

But look at all the other policy issues. Liberals care, conservatives don't. We do not share the same vision of what is important, incompatible world views and people.

But if you look at what REALLY animates conservatives, immigration and the immigrant other, Trumps pathway to demonize and slur was the strongest thing he could possibly have done, he tapped into the ONE dark corner of the conservative soul that would cause a higher number to rise up and let him win the day.

Congratulations conservatives. For now. What this episode has taught me is that my past efforts to be more conciliatory are futile. It's taught me that my political opponents simply need to be beaten. I don't know how to persuade someone to be less afraid and hostile to people that are not just like them. To me it would be like trying to persuade someone to enjoy hiking when they do not. You are what you are, you care about what you care about. And since the views are incompatible with my own, something has to give because you are in MY way to what I consider a better and more just American and world.

So I want to thank you conservatives, you have reinforced my resolve that you need to be beaten and routed and cast aside in the political world more than I've ever felt before. But unlike your victory that would rip away families on a mass scale and cause untold horrors to outsiders who are unworthy of your concern, you are NOT outside my concern when it comes to the basics of life and the pursuit of happiness. In a world ruled by my kind, you would be blocked from tearing into outsiders, but you would not be forced into a ditch. I still want you to do well, get treated if you get sick independent of your ability to pay. This won't sate so many of you, because for large chunks of the conservative base, their HATRED of outsides is far stronger than their concern for their fellow man. But it won't be the kind of hellscape that would materialize if the worst of you got your way.

• Ty  •  Oct 16, 2018 at 5:52 pm

That link is busted, here is another.

Some data on what liberals and conservatives give a damn about, very different priorities. VERY.

• Ty  •  Oct 16, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Another article on some of the discrepancies of different tribes.

(warning, RINO supreme David Brooks is the author, steel yourselves far right wingers!)

It may shock you, but while I would probably be classified as part of the far left progressive tribe, I actually have in me plenty of right wing assumptions about reality baked into my psyche, but my solution set is liberal for the most part.

• Ty needs help  •  Oct 16, 2018 at 8:54 pm

More keyboard diarrhea from a troubled mind. Ty, do you really believe this stuff? If you care about the truth or having ideas that correspond with reality you will rethink the silly ideas you have. I laughed while shaking my head the other day when I read your idea that conservatives would support universal healthcare if the country were all white Christians. If you think that, you are clueless. Not only does it not correspond with anything even a small portion of conservatives think, it also does not correspond to with realty. Conservatives opposed the welfare state even back before the 70's when the US was overwhelmingly white and Christian.