Trump’s Media Strategy Could Be Working

Why does President Trump continue his ferocious attacks on media as “fake news” and “really bad people” who “don’t love our country”? Surely, he understands that relentless assaults won’t win him more favorable, or even more balanced coverage.

Trump defenders say the President rips the press because they deserve it; critics say his constant barrage exposes the president as “unhinged” and self-destructive. Both sides are wrong, actually: Trump’s media bashing reflects a comprehensive strategy. He knows that liberal bias tainted the press long before he arrived on the scene, and that bias deeply damaged media credibility. With each new slam by Trump, journalists get more hostile, the bias gets more obvious, and the public trusts them even less.

President Trump has opted to undermine media credibility rather than trying to earn better treatment for himself and his agenda. That choice may not benefit the country or its institutions but, as a political tactic, it just might work.

(Visited 1 times, 4 visits today)

1. Ty  •  Aug 24, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Trump is just mirroring what most of Talk Radio hosts have been doing for decades. Don't trust the liberal media (trust me instead being the implication). Don't buy into that left leaning narrative (buy into my right leaning narrative instead, once again left unsaid but totally implied).

Not many people as are OPEN as the liberal listeners of talk radio like myself who deliberately wade into hearing people that are hostile to our viewpoints. And even speaking for myself, some hosts I can barely stand listening too. If I am in my car when Michael goes off air and I forget to switch the radio off, I get visible irritation at hearing Mark Levin blow chunks out of my car speakers. Prager has become closer to that too with his increasingly manic demonizations and persecution complex he peddles.

Anyway, this is not a good thing for people to be cocooned in. Part of the reason I come on these boards and shout into the wind of futility is that I take some satisfaction in exposing some of the conservative peanut gallery to a tiny sliver of liberal pushback they never hear on their conservative media sites and stations. But it's kind of like trying to sweep the sand from the desert, there is a futility in the action, and Trumps megaphone and capacity to rally conservatives around the singular common glue that binds them together is strong. And that glue is not what they are for, but what they all hate.

Modern conservatism is united in their hatreds, and almost all of them either outright hate the media or get annoyed with it for its liberal bias, never mind a score of their own biased media outlets that are just as accessible (the internet = global reach) and even more caustic with an even more strident conservative bias.

I hear more forceful demonizations of the left from Prager, Levin and David Horrowitz than I do of the right on channels like CNN. But there is that classic conservative conceit. When WE do it's it's ok.

• JRS  •  Aug 25, 2017 at 7:28 pm

It must be amazing that you can read peoples minds (…"trust me instead being the implication" AND "buy into my right leaning narrative instead, once again left unsaid but totally implied"). I know… you "feel" you know what the true meaning, and true motivations are. Poor baby. Maybe you should look at actual behaviors and actions rather than play at this psychobabble "you know best" crap.

• Ty  •  Aug 26, 2017 at 5:27 am

It's a guess, a standard capacity of a human being known as a theory of mind. We tend to make predictions about the mental states of others, and intuit motivations in others based on what they say and do. And I have heard so many conservatives speak their mind I feel I have some reasonable insight into their motivations. One of Trumps appeal is to unite his base on what they hate, the easiest example of this is the media. Since time immemorial conservatives have complained about the "liberal" media bias, and Trump (and talk radio before him) has weaponized that sentiment into a boiling cauldron of hatred and near perfect discounting of ANYTHING that comes out of that media to a large chunk of his followers and supporters.

I read the comments on articles on conservative sites that show something critical about Trump, or reporting on some liberal news outlet. The discounting is immediate and extensive. The only true information, is the information that the dear leader Trump assents to. Reality is what he defines it to be.

I'm sure I've made some mistakes in my assumptions about the mental states of conservatives, been less charitable and too quick to focus on some of the more malicious potential motivations. But I am not feeling charitable as this presidency drones on. And every time I hear conservatives complain about the liberal media and their bias, something inside me ignites into a white hot fury at the chutzpah of these people as they malign liberally minded news sources while propping up their own that engage in far worse.

• Pat Allen  •  Aug 26, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Ty is clearly a paid provocateur… probably on the Soros or Clinton payroll to troll sites like this and spew his ugly drama. I used to respond to him/her/it… now I don't even read his posts – suggest all others to this site do the same. He won't go away, but we can make him irrelevant. To respond to him just encourages him in his parents basement in between video games.

• Ty  •  Aug 26, 2017 at 10:54 pm

You all don't need to respond, the most brittle ones I'm sure won't even bother to read. It is enough that I see some off base view and get to give some counters when I think it's appropriate. I know full well that many who cocoon themselves inside conservative media bubbles don't want to be subjected to a liberal viewpoint and push back. It's just too much for some people to handle, so feel free to skulk back into that shell to hide from us parents basement dwelling paid Soros/Clinton shills.

2. Charles Schneider  •  Aug 24, 2017 at 5:17 pm

This snippet from the article betrays the author's extraordinary naiveté. "President Trump has opted to undermine media credibility rather than trying to earn better treatment for himself and his agenda." There is zero, zilch, nada possibility that Trump could earn better treatment from the media for himself and his agenda. Any attempt to appease them would be following the failed strategy of previous Republican administrations. The media is the vanguard of the hard-core leftist agenda. Any administration that interferes with long-term leftist goals, is going to receive similar treatment from the media and nothing they do, short of complete capitulation to leftist ideology is going to change it. Under these circumstances, Trump is taking exactly the correct approach to dealing with a thoroughly corrupted media. He is unabashedly exposing it to the American public so a greater proportion of the voting public will understand how little of what they hear or read from the news should be trusted. It is a sad state of affairs that we have arrived at this situation, but denying it isn't going to help anyone but the leftists.

• Jim Bird  •  Aug 24, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Amen, Charles! When one person who works in the MSM says one nice thing about a Republican, they should immediately erect a statue at the place where the words were uttered because that person will never work in MSM again. Of course George Soros will quickly pay his goons to destroy the statue on CNN in prime time.

3. Fungah!  •  Aug 25, 2017 at 11:36 pm

It does seem unlikely that Trump could coax the liberal media into giving him fair treatment. George Bush did his best to woo the media and was not rewarded for his effort. Perhaps undermining media credibility isn't a bad strategy. It could benefit the nation in the long run. If the public views the media conglomerates as unreliable, perhaps they stop watching and start looking elsewhere for their news.

I'd take them a lot more seriously if they just admitted they're bias and didnt insult our intelligence by pretending to be objective.

The conservative radio hosts don't feel the need to hide their allegiances. The liberal media should just admit their bias and try to win the debate on the merits of their ideas.

Honesty goes a long way. I respect conservative and liberal commentators who admit their allegiance up front.

• Ty  •  Aug 26, 2017 at 5:17 am

I don't believe you don't respect liberals who go against your narrative. Everyone knows that most media figures are liberals. You don't like them because they voice opinions and views you disagree with. You honestly expect me to believe that them shouting that they are big liberals would temper your fury at them when they are blasting Trump for all he's worth and open contempt?

Please. Conservatives say this, and I suspect it's a cover. They know full well their own media echo chambers are ORDERS of magnitude more caustic and openly biased in favor of conservative viewpoints, and they want to cover their own behavior and media practices to make themselves feel more noble.

I know exactly where Dennis Prager and Mark Levin and Hannity are coming from, and I have come to increasingly despise their positions and mode of operation because of their views and how they conduct themselves. That is the heart of the animus, not some more explicit acknowledgment of where people stand. I disagree with Medved and Shapiro on plenty of things, but they are both inside the line of what I'd consider honest and respectable. But again, this has more to do with my own personal assessment of their views and how they conduct themselves.

• Laura  •  Sep 6, 2017 at 1:50 am

Ty, I feel sorry for you. You seem to spend too much time hating your enemies on the right and not enough loving your friends on the left. Go enjoy your life.

4. Ty  •  Aug 27, 2017 at 1:47 am

I just saw this compilation of the man pardoned by Trump

Looks like a real class act. The "tip of the spear" of the anti illegal immigration flank of the republican party, what a freaking prize. As far as media goes, most sane and decent human beings will recoil at this pardoning of the man Frum calles the nations second most famous Birther. But the Trump base? Like dogs tearing into red meat. Trump keeps his loyal hounds fed.

5. Rizzo  •  Aug 27, 2017 at 10:24 am

Ty
    Yay… I take a break, and I come back to your same ol' ignorance. Are you really this deaf, dumb and blind, or do you actively choose to be this way?
    Open boarders…. check.
    Free everything…. check.
    Steal from the "rich"… check.
    Punish achievement… check.
    Tear down and destroy history… check.
    Fundamentally transform America… check.

You're a useful tool… George Soros would be so proud!

6. Steve Gamble  •  Aug 27, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I came to this thinking back around the Fourth of July. I put it a mite different yet it is the same. There is a cliff out there on both the far right and the far left where you drop out of sight and acceptability when you go over the edge. The middle third of our nation sees extremists on both sides going over the respective cliff's edges. Trump's poking the media is driving them to respond ever more hysterically and ever closer to that cliff's edge. Strategically Trump believes he can push the media over the cliff on the left before he falls over the cliff on the right and thusly win over the middle third. A risky gambit, perhaps, but the media itself is still playing checkers while Trump is six moves ahead in the chess game. (Ya, the chess/checkers thing isn't original, but it works.)

• Ty  •  Aug 29, 2017 at 9:14 pm

There is something to that, Trumps antics, and pardoning monstrous people like Arpaio only really play well to the base, everyone else is infuriated by it, but more people being against Trump does not matter in our system, so long as the people in the states that are close are for him, he can win the day, such is the system of the US where we allow political hostage situations where the minority can dictate terms to the majority.

Trump gave a bone to the base, dumped the info on a Friday to attenuate the negative press, and on the eve of a massive Hurricane and flood news cycle. It's like the stars of hellspawn and their evil prayers aligned to shield Trump.

These red meat issue for the base also divert attention away from other issues that would be seen as more of a negative for Trump.

Look at this article to see how Trump plans to use rent seeking and special payouts to the coal industry to pick winners and losers there

But in that case, he hurts other trump voters with cheaper to produce coal, thorny, but most of the media attention shifts away from those issues to the outrage of the day.

Trump voters don't give a damn about how vulgar he is, or that he lies, or that he acts like a bully or flouts laws, none of that matters to them, they just want to win and stick it to liberals in the cities. And Trump will use their hatreds of the sensibilities of the left to get them to cheer and pay attention to the wrong things that they ought to care about more as it has bigger effects on their actual lives compared to the 1 in a THOUSAND change their daughter will be in a restroom with Bluto in a dress.

7. Rizzo  •  Aug 28, 2017 at 9:25 am

You have to absolutely love the alternate reality that Ty has created for himself.
    He talks about conservatives being cocooned in a media bubble. This, coming from a liberal nut-job, millennial, who was no-doubt raised in a world of safe-spaces and trophies for all.
    Then, he accidentally stumbled onto a conservative radio station, and his mind was completely blown. He didn't even realize there was a competing world view. Now, he is obsessed. He devotes his entire life, apparently listening to Mark Levin and Hannity. Actually, I am SURE that he has never listened to them, but rather, reads a summary of some libtards impression of each show. Now, lost in his own obsessions, he forgets that 99.9% of TV, Radio, Print, Movies, etc., etc., etc. is dominated by liberal bias.
    This guy is TOTALLY SICK.

• Ty  •  Aug 29, 2017 at 9:24 pm

I have not actually actively listened to Hannity in YEARS. About a decade at least or more. I remember hearing Michael on krla in la and thinking, thank the effing gods I have an alternative to this TOTAL shill and blow hard. But everyone once in awhile, he says something so dumb and shilly it expands into a larger news cycle about how awful and deceit filled a human being he is.

For Mark Levin, I don't really listen to him, most of the time I have listened to his show revolves around being distracted and not changing the station to my phone for a podcast or something before he comes on. Within a few minutes (or seconds) of that blow hard yelling inanities, I shut it off. I have my limits too.

I used to listen to Prager a lot more, but he's become increasingly deranged over the years. He has expanded "the left" to side a wide swath of the liberal world that almost all of us are considered to be the equivalent to conspiring with demons. He has the kind of misrepresentations of us Rizzo engages in like that ridiculous list above that is based on nothing but his own fairy tails. How he IMAGINES those who disagree with him think.

Still, I can listen to Prager for much longer than Hannity, who as far as I'm concerned is like a lizard person wearing a human skin. Total snake.

8. Rizzo  •  Aug 28, 2017 at 10:01 am

So much for the peace-loving, all-accepting, inclusive left.
    The left can NOT compete in the arena of ideas. They have become intolerant, lunatic radicals, lead by mobs. Perhaps, no better example of that, than the pervasive despotism of California.
    Hey Ty… Ain't that your neck of the woods?

-The swamping of right-wing political ideas by left-wing demonstrators has become a recurring theme in Berkeley and other California cities.

In Berkeley on Sunday, some observers derived satisfaction from watching far-left protesters beat up and chase off a young man at the rally in apparent support of Trump.

“It’s a good time,” said Tom Martell, 70, of Crockett, who stood in Civic Center Park with his girlfriend, Lisa Argento, 53.

“They’ve got to be chased out,” Argento said. “I moved to the Bay Area and pay good money to live here. I don’t want these people here. They need to leave us the f— alone.”

• Ty  •  Aug 29, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Yes yes yes, there are stupid idiot leftists who cover their faces and assault people, they also tend to go out more in recent times. I'll raise you this right wing thug, and note since they are more gun loving their "reactions" tend to be more potentially harmful

In fact, the right wing nuts tend to be less frequent, but more deadly.

I don't have numbers, but if I had to guess, there are fewer members of Antifa in the US compared to the kk and neo nazi groups in the US. But note, I do not tend to focus on your fringe elements, except to THROW them right back at your face when you try to pawn off some thugs on the left as indicative of the entire group. I have PLENTY of ammunition to use from mainstream conservative thought and talk radio sentiment to have to bother reaching deeper into the white nationalist well. The little bent a few articles back on the confederates was just pushback against this ridiculous notion that some southern republicans have about the virtues of the confederate battle flag, because those southern republicans, came from southern democrats. I find it useful to point out those are the same PEOPLE you inherited from the south who remain confused fools. What a wonderful tent of first rate people!

Welcome to the club, we all have marginal people who we wish we were not associated with. Now stop focusing on the cripples and focus on mainstream thought. I have plenty more to attack there then focusing on your deplorables.

9. Rizzo  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 8:09 am

Antifa, KKK, Black Lives Matter, etc. ALL belong to the left.
    Everyone denounces the KKK and Skinheads…. EVERYONE.
    Has any leftist anywhere, denounced Antifa? NO… the left agrees with them.
    Leftists LOVE their violent, intimidation tactics. It's the history of the left.
    Americans don't accept leftist ideology, so the left FORCES IT UPON PEOPLE.
    It's rape vs. consensual…. you can't compete in the arena of ideas.
    Name one elected, leftist leader that has denounced the violence of Antifa.

• Ty  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 3:08 pm

tyt denounced antifa, secular talk denounced antifa, even noam freaking chomsky denounced antifa.

You really need to get out more Rizzo, I keep telling you to leave the confines of that conservative bubble, you might be more informed.

I'm starting to get a better idea why Pat Allen is so chagrined at me posting here, he can see the kind of unhinged reaction it brings out among the conservative peanut gallery, he know the responses are not up to par and are an embarrassment and does not want the rot on the right exposed.

I'm not playing along.

• Rizzo  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Has Nancy Pelosi denounced Antifa? How about Schmuck Schumer?
        Did any elected leftist denounce Antifa?
        How about black lives matter? Obama defended that hate-group.
        The left is hate-filled, and they never denounce it… it's their militia.

• Ty  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Oh, now the goal posts shift, any elected officials? Not sure. But plenty on the left.

Here is another left wing news site.

Let me look for democratic politicians…

• Ty  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Huh, oh look, that did not take long

From the Demon Empress herself !

[Conservative reaction to evidence contradicting their assumptions] – what target to shift to now? FAKE NEWS !!! FAKE Denouncement !!!

• Rizzo  •  Aug 31, 2017 at 9:27 am

Very interesting… Nancy Pelosi's statement is dated yesterday.
        Hmmm… was that really soon enough? This Antifa shit has been going on since the election of Donald Trump.
        Would Trump, or any Republican get a free-pass for waiting this long to denounce violence?
        I guess, dumb-as-door nail, Nancy Pelosi, finally figured out that this violence will create a backlash for the deafening silence on the left..

• Rizzo  •  Aug 31, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Ty
        I would recommend that YOU get out more. There is more to this world than VOX.
        Please allow my friend, Ben, to educate YOU on ALL THE DIFFERENT LEFTIST SOURCES THAT EMBRACE, MAKE EXCUSES FOR, AND ACCEPT THE VIOLENCE OF ANTIFA.
        Prepare to be educated, you damn fool.

10. Rizzo  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Oh boy Ty…. you got me. Good one!
    I just wonder who is more surprised at your link…. You or me?

11. Rizzo  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 10:14 pm

And BTW, Noam didn't exactly denounce Antifa… he lamented that it's a gift to the right, to which I AGREE!

12. Rizzo  •  Aug 30, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Your VOX link is BOGUS TOO: it doesn't denounce Antifa for its violence, it says: "When far-left protesters act violently, it gives Trump and other conservatives more ammunition to draw equivalencies between the far left and far right — even if it is a false equivalence, given that America has a long history of racist violence and very little, by comparison, of left-wing violence."
    Once again, the left loves the violence, they just fear the backlash.
    THAT IS PATHETIC!!!

13. Ty  •  Aug 31, 2017 at 3:08 am

I vote we move to replace Jude the Apostle with Rizzo, the patron saint of lost causes has been dethroned.

14. Rizzo  •  Aug 31, 2017 at 8:10 am

Stop the violence…. Not because violence is wrong… Not because it's the last bastion for desperate people, who can't handle competing views… Stop the violence because it is a "gift to the right"
    – Noam Chomsky

Brilliant!!!!!

15. Rizzo  •  Aug 31, 2017 at 9:20 am

Let's imagine, if anyone suggested that the KKK or Skinheads or whatever hate-group you want to insert, should stop the violence, because it was a gift to the left.

VIOLENCE IS WRONG, BECAUSE IT'S WRONG…. NOT BECAUSE IT BENEFITS ONE GROUP OVER ANOTHER.

16. Nani Tavares  •  Aug 31, 2017 at 5:54 pm

I've wondered for quite sometime if Trump is either extremely lucky or a genius. Michael is right in that Trump's fight with the media has revealed their bias, but I think he's also revealed the ugliness, intolerance, and hypocrisy of Academia, Hollywood and the entire Left. No, no, not the inequitable treatment of the extremes but in the entire Left's feeling of entitlement not just to our money but our feelings and opinions. THEY decide what is right and wrong, what is racism and sexist, what is acceptable behavior and thought. They used the mob mentality to bully us into submission to THEIR view point.

Since Trump has been elected I have learned some disturbing truths:

1- The Left believes that NONE of the money we make is ours. It belongs to the collective whole. This is why they insist on taxing more and why only certain people are not paying their "fair share". Wall Street should have, they conclude a smaller portion of the collective monies. Hollywood, on the other hand, who makes more than most people will make in many lifetimes are allowed to take a bigger share because, well, they are the right "kind" of people.

2- In their zeal for equality, the Left begins with the notion that people are unequal. This is why there must be affirmative action and a different judgment for minorities.

3- The Left is so certain that what they believe is ACCEPTED DOGMA, that when we start to push back, they are shocked. And frequently they have no reply to such simple questions such as "Why should I?" and "Why is it my problem?"

4- The Left has taken bullying to a whole new level. Once upon a time, a bully made no bones about picking on and nit picking. Now they claim to be "moderate" and full of love for their fellow human beings. They claim to be the knight in shining armor and if you stand against them, you stand against the good and the glorious. Try pointing this out and they will come at you with all their ugliness and intolerance that hides just below the surface.

5- Lastly, I have learned that the Left doesn't really like America, much less love her. They are the first to agree with those who attack her, They do not demand respect and gratitude from those who have benefited the most from her freedoms and opportunities. They claim to want to change America for the better; they do not tell you that in order to do so, they must destroy her–and it is ok with them.

The good news–and believe it or not, I try to be optimistic, is that most people are waking up from years of Liberalism and indoctrination as though from a bad dream. They are getting out of bed, washing their faces, and donning the armor of decency and pride. These are the ones that put Trump in and who will, with each nit picking and bashing of the Left, continue to support him, and yes, re-elect him.

17. Rizzo  •  Aug 31, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Nani…
    You have nailed it again! FINALLY, Conservatives are pushing back! Trump has paved the trail.
    He has shown, that not only is OK to push back against the liberal-media-machine, but that people actually welcome it… some even LOVE IT! He has placed a white-hot spotlight on them.
    And YES, people are waking up! They are coming out of the purple haze known as leftist-liberalism. And the leftists can't handle it!!!!!
    All that remains are chants and violence.
    PATHETIC!

• Nani Tavares  •  Sep 1, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Rizzo and Jim Bird: I normally stay out of political "discussions" with family but was asked to help a cousin who was being overwhelmed by liberal cousins and their friends. I took a look at this guy's face book and found a recent article where he stood virtually alone against over 300 comments! I decided to wade in and have been supporting this, what appeared to be, lone conservative family member. Now I knew there were many who thought like Richard and I, but many had already been "bitten" when trying to comment their support; one said her disagreement had a sister call her on the phone and try to convince her of the error of her conservative thinking. Now all of a sudden, they aren't going to be standing out there alone and it has encouraged many to participate. Now these liberal relatives find themselves with real push back and the tide is turning.

To make a long story short and to get to why I am letting you both in on a little personal information, I wanted to tell you that your efforts has given me clarity on the mindset of Liberals. I have spent many years "discussing" with liberals of all ilk and frankly, I really thought I understood where they are coming from because I'd "heard" it all before.

Obviously, I didn't.

I know that commenting and fighting back can be time consuming, frustrating and sometimes down right depressing. Please know that your efforts ARE making a difference.

Nani