Why Do Americans Prefer Sports to Politics?

Washington, DC, USA; A fan waves a Washington Capitals waves a flag during the Stanley Cup championship parade and celebration. Credit: Peter Casey-USA TODAY Sports

During a visit to Washington DC in June, I saw an estimated 200,000 revelers in the street to celebrate what some called “the greatest day of my life.” The cause for jubilation wasn’t some political victory; it was the clinching game that enabled the Washington Capitals to win hockey’s Stanley Cup.

Why do more people get excited about sports than they do about politics? In part, because athletic competitions maintain clear rules of play, enforced by professional umpires, while politics has increasingly adopted the idea of “anything goes.”

No one questions the essential decency of an opposing sports team, but politicians go obsessively on the attack to accuse opponents of bad intentions and total corruption.

No wonder we tend to look on politicians as crooks and clowns, while enthusiastically embracing our athletes as “heroes”.

1. Jim Jones  •  Jun 15, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Agree with you, but also like Rush's comment that spectator sports are something you can invest total emotion into, but with absolutely no consequences.

2. Ty  •  Jun 17, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Michael, in politics, the accusations of corruption are often correct. If I had to guess, if you tallied all the corrupt things Hillary has done in her entire life, Trump would best that number by a factor of 10. And to see, with mine own eyes conservative continue to scream about her and ignore Trump who is like an exploding oil fire of filth and bile and self serving behavior shows that we are often RIGHT to question the decency of the opposing team.

When I read an article on a conservative site talking about the policy of actively ripping the children from the families of illegal immigrants crossing the border and look down at the comments…. What do I find? A RATS nest of nativism and hatred, that see those unfortunate people less as people and human beings, and more like PARASITES that have infected them where their mere presence will POISON them and their family.

I see that reaction to a much higher degree in you conservatives, you have to argue with many of them on your show. People who were LUCKY to be born in the US, a wealthier country with much greater prosperity and less corruption. It would be one thing to merely want people turned away out of necessity, but that is NOT where it ends. The utter lack of compassion and grace that infects the conservative soul, that SNEERS at such people as the scum of the earth for trying to cross into the US to get a better life, that graceless filth you call your base.

I see it all with my own eyes. And as so many of them focus oceans of bile towards those less fortunate than they were, I focus my own bile towards those graceless cretins.

• Rizzo  •  Jun 18, 2018 at 6:00 pm

The utter lack of compassion and grace that infects the LEFTIST’S soul, that SNEERS at such people, while Bob Mueller destroys their lives, as the scum of the earth for trying to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, that graceless filth you call your base.
      I see it all with my own eyes. And as so many of them focus oceans of bile towards their political enemies, I will focus on my faith in Truth, Justice, and the American way!

• Ty  •  Jun 19, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Lovely.

Incidentally, this is one of the arguments of sanctuary cities, if officers ask for legal status, illegal immigrants are less likely to report crimes to authorities. In this case their illegal status was already known but it was used as a threat to deport unless they kept quiet.

But I know that loving evangelical reaction will focus on the "infestation" as Trump calls illegal immigrants and just want them out, even if there are negative fallouts more likely to occur like this.

I almost wished I believed in a loving God and he was real so this puss filled evangelical movement could get its judgment and reckoning when they faced their creator.

• Rizzo  •  Jun 19, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Alright Ty….. think VERY HARD, before you answer, ok?

What is the purpose of US immigration?

• Rizzo  •  Jun 19, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Merriam-Webster:
        Definition of infest. infested; infesting; infests. transitive verb. 1 : to spread or swarm in or over in a troublesome manner.

Seems completely accurate and descriptive to me.
        That’s the problem with leftists…. they can’t accept truth and reality.

How would you describe the influx of ILLEGAL ALIENS INTO AMERICA?

• Rizzo  •  Jun 19, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Ty, how could you EVER believe in a “Loving God”?
        It would completely undermine your inhuman support of murdering babies.

If I were you, I would blame God for you sickening fascination with killing babies…. I, however, blame YOU AND YOUR ILK!

• Ty  •  Jun 20, 2018 at 3:11 am

Yes, so many satisfying themes to pull from from religious tradition.

• Rizzo  •  Jun 20, 2018 at 7:04 am

Hey Ty…. just keep killing babies, and then complain about your disbelief in a “loving God”.

You’re pathetic.

3. Rizzo  •  Jun 18, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Hey Ty…. genius.

I just read an article on a LEFTIST site talking about the policy to throw Manafort in Jail, actively ripping him from his children and his family.

And look down at the comments…. What do I find? A RATS nest of LEFTISTS and hatred, that see that unfortunate person less as a human being, and more like a PARASITE that has infected them where his mere presence will POISON them and their family.