You Can’t Advance Justice by Dishonoring the Flag

When prominent athletes refuse to stand up for the national anthem, their defenders insist they’re not dishonoring the flag, but pushing the nation toward social justice.

But how can you possibly advance your cause with public gestures that most Americans find irritating and offensive?

And what milestone must society reach to convince those athlete activists that we’ve made enough progress so they can stand again for the anthem?

As for President Trump, his harsh comments only enlarged the number of players participating in the protests. He also unwittingly prodded NFL owners—the best hope of getting team members to honor patriotic traditions—to support their athletes in their showboating.

If we really want to end this silly, pointless battle, the players must understand that fans look to them for athletic excellence, not political guidance, and president Trump must see that giving the issue so much passionate attention only serves to expand and perpetuate the protests he seeks to end.

1. Nani Tavares  •  Sep 27, 2017 at 6:30 pm

There are few issues where I really don't care what the other side is saying. This is one of them. Why do we stand when the flag is raised and the anthem is sung? Why do we stand when a judge enters the court room? It's to show RESPECT. So if you don't stand you are being disrespectful period, end of story. I don't care WHY you are being disrespectful, who you are angry with. I honestly DON'T CARE. And no I'm not going to say you have a right and then get into an argument of "buts". I am so sick of the demanding to understand YOUR feelings and respect YOUR beliefs and culture. Somewhere along the way, the rest of us got set aside and I am telling all those who disrespected this nation that I totally reject YOUR narrative.

2. Jim Bird  •  Sep 28, 2017 at 3:13 am

Nani,
    I absolutely love this! Such an elegant explanation for why these morons are truly out of touch with their own brains.

3. Patrick e Giyan  •  Sep 29, 2017 at 3:43 pm

I believe this protest and others are a protest against the President. A group of misguided people wanted Hillary Clinton to be President and she lost, so now with support from anarchists and enemies of America these individuals are acting out against this administration anr dividing this nation very much like pre-civil war. I hope this is not a omen of what could lead to another civil war.

4. Fungah!  •  Sep 29, 2017 at 3:55 pm

The NFL will be a shadow of its former self by the time my grand children are old enough to play sports; another casualty of liberalism politicizing something that should remain apolitical. The organization is allowing external forces and internal subversives to set the agenda due to fear of poor public opinion. Ironic!

With all the attacks painting the game as violent and unsafe, and the outlays for lawsuits, the NFL was already on the defensive. Their image has been further sullied by scandalous bad behavior from their players; dog fighting, domestic abuse, criminal indictments, etc. It now is pursuing a course that is considered extremely unpatriotic to a large segment of the fan base. As this behavior trickles down into the college, high school and youth leagues, the lacklustre role models in the NFL will be in the minds of the fans, parents and coaches who have to deal with it at the local level.

Trump was right when he said bad for ratings. The NFL is allowing the player to bite the hand that feeds them. This won't end well for the NFL.

• Mike Glenn  •  Sep 30, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Just read Nani's comment and agree completely. Thank you, Nani. I used to be an NFL fan, now I'm a Nani fan!

5. Nani Tavares  •  Sep 30, 2017 at 2:36 pm

I have never felt anything but American; I guess it's because I have so many races in me that the one culture that UNITES who I am is American. I grew up being told that we, as Americans, need to have "conversations" to "understand" where each are coming from, only to be told that we really couldn't understand because we weren't really whatever race.

Then this disrespect for the one thing that is supposed to unite us; the one thing that can't be messed with or downplayed, the one thing that trumps the victim card and now the latter doesn't matter. Wow, could it happen, is it possible that FINALLY the race card can be stamped, NULL AND VOID, ALL CREDITS USED! ?

6. Harvey Homan  •  Sep 30, 2017 at 3:22 pm

I totally agree. Furthermore, no one can steal my pride in America and our flag. My gratitude and admiration for our military members and veterans remains rock solid. The NFL players dishonoring our flag are at best misguided and at worst mental midgets. I also agree President Trump, whom I support, has to learn to see around corners better. Before he called the NFL players SOB's we were mostly looking at just a few idiots like Michael Bennett and Colin K. I believe owners were embarrassed and looking for a way to get past the kneeling Etc. The president's comments simply united a bunch of spoiled idiots who've not suffered any injustice. The president doesn't need to react to every idiot out there.

• Nani Tavares  •  Sep 30, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Harvey Homan, Trump was saying what many people were thinking and if this destroys that stupid race card the Left continues to pull, he has done a service. I am sorry for all the football fans but that card was hurting America. I am a Trekkie and I enjoyed Will and Grace in the past but I won't be watching either after what they pulled. I too Rizzo, never thought I'd be boycotting entertainment but this goes beyond political discord, we are now in the realm of dictatorial brainwashing and I am sick of it.

• Barry  •  Oct 6, 2017 at 7:34 pm

While it feels as though Trump add fuel for the players and more are participating the end result has been good for America. Our President focused attention on the organization and other professional organizations that have been wielding political power in the country through these same athletes and NFL management. This focus is now hitting them in the pocket book. Pointing it out and there reaction has awaken the sleeping giant pocketbook of 65,000,000 Americans. My TV has not turned to a channel with the NFL broadcast since this began. I also will not watch an NBA game. Both these sports are shining examples of the greatness in America. The game advances athletes base on ability and rewards them base on there success. These athletes should be the last people in America disrespecting the flag.

7. Rizzo  •  Sep 30, 2017 at 3:26 pm

You will never find a bigger football fan than I. But, the NFL has allowed the inmates to run asylum, and as a result, they have absolutely destroyed the league for me. I never, not in a million years, ever dreamed I would feel like this. But, I am 100% done with the NFL. I have dropped my NFL Sunday ticket. I have quit my fantasy football league. And, it is very likely, I will NEVER watch again. Congratulations, Goodell, you have managed to destroy the most successful professional sport ever…. What a complete LOSER!

• Jim Bird  •  Sep 30, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Wow, I'm sitting back enjoying all of your commentaries very much and in ONE column too. This has to be the best "comments" column I've read anywhere. Thank you all friends! Let's hope you-know-who doesn't defile it.

• Nani Tavares  •  Oct 1, 2017 at 2:01 am

Imagine that Jim Bird: they pulled the all powerful, get a pass, shut the h*ll up race card and Trump pulled out the Patriotic card. It was like seeing that fourth ace! Nice.

8. Jim Bird  •  Oct 2, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Wow Nani, you play poker too! You are a true Renaissance women!

9. Joanne Crandall  •  Oct 7, 2017 at 12:00 am

My Daddy (I was 5 yrs. of age when I last saw him) was a POW during WWII, & was killed fighting for the United States of America, that all citizens then & now would be free. Not standing for the National Anthem, or placing your hand over your heart as a civilian, or saluting as a service person, negates the sacrifice my Father, & so many others who died & or were maimed.

Spend your millions to help those you feel are persecuted by getting them good Legal Defense Lawyers.

• Nani Tavares  •  Oct 8, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Joanne, I really don't know what to say. I am so sorry for these extremely spoilt and ungrateful people who are the last to complain about a country that allowed them undreamed of opportunity. You and your family has paid the ultimate price while these guys plays ball. As an American, all I can do is completely reject anyone who disrespects the sacrifice of your family. I don't care why they do it; I don't care what they are trying to say. To me, they have lost the conversation.